Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86

strel

Have many DotNetFx installs from 1.1 to 4.0. Would like to throw out what isn't needed and keep what is in AIO installer. I have modifies the ini for using 3530=YES the others for that part are = only. And have downloaded four hotfixes and they apply now so cmd.exe continues without stopping. OS used for this is xp sp3, so i assume that the installer will have everything from all DotNetFx installs i placed in the synth directory. When run would install everything needed to for 1.1 to 3.5.30 DotNetFx installs so all applications that need them will not complain.

I wonder about two things i have never installed hotfixes since sp1. Only hotfixes applied are those from likes of SP3 install, directx and DoNetFx. I assume would be good to apply many more, is there a location i can download all these from. That is download all for a download manager to grab them in one go. Not so interested on sitting at microsoft all day to to this manualy. Just as i was never interested to sit all day at microsoft online updates, to find like many it fails for one reason or another and more hotfixes needed to fix the ones that fail. Dowanloading all at once location for hotfixes that are original unmodified microsoft hotfix updates.

Which is the bestter package to allow DotNetFx to be taken from, i assume 3.5.30 since would be more complete updated than v2.0 itself. Or is v2.0 the best one to use ?

(When i used v3.5.30 it ouput file for 30SP2 ? I used v3.5.30 not v3.0 and os i have is SP3 not SP2 would like installer for SP3 since XP SP2 is a problem os compared to XP SP3)

What of DotNetFx v4 can snms handle this package as yet. Have had v4 for a while now, or is there a problem with it as to why it is not available to use use in snms ?

Additional upated comments in brackets ( as above )

Edited by exogenesis

I wonder about two things i have never installed hotfixes since sp1. Only hotfixes applied are those from likes of SP3 install, directx and DoNetFx. I assume would be good to apply many more, is there a location i can download all these from. That is download all for a download manager to grab them in one go. Not so interested on sitting at microsoft all day to to this manualy. Just as i was never interested to sit all day at microsoft online updates, to find like many it fails for one reason or another and more hotfixes needed to fix the ones that fail. Dowanloading all at once location for hotfixes that are original unmodified microsoft hotfix updates.
Grab SP3, nlite and the UDC batch file from my page and you are good to go. http://xdot.tk/updates.html Edited by -X-

What of DotNetFx v4 can snms handle this package as yet. Have had v4 for a while now, or is there a problem with it as to why it is not available to use use in snms ?

The only problem is that strel hasn't shown up in a while, so the application hasn't been updated. There are a few members that would be prepared to pick up where he left, but that's another thing.

Thanks -x- nice page you have there will grab them for nlite install as you say :)

Shame strel hasn't updated in a while. Maybe someone knows him and can get him to agree ok to carry on, that is after he has posted ok here ok to so. Would be nice for update since .net is ongoing and we need this script updating just as much. How about we do an alternative version but is really an update for later as now for newer .net installs. ;)

Ok this is alittle over my head but I want to give it a try. How else can I learn right? I need to add just Net Framework 1.1 and any service packs if there are any. So if I understand correctly.

1) I need to copy the Win XP disc to a folder on the HD. It has SP2 so I will slipstream SP3 first which I have already done.

2) Copy 7za.exe, dotnetfx.exe, _SNMsynth.ini and _SNMsynth.cmd to the folder that has the Disc contents.

3) run _SNMsynth.cmd

Is that correct? I am not sure what if any changes I should make to the _SNMsynth.ini file. Do I need NetFx20SP1_x86.exe and NetFx20SP2_x86.exe these appear to be Net Framework 2,0 related. I just need Net Framework 1.1 complete with service packs. I assume dotnetfx.exe is fully updated version of Net Framework 1.1?

Thank You in advance for any input

Thomas

Edited by thomast77

Yes and no.

Here is a ready-made add-on if you want one http://www.ryanvm.ne...opic.php?t=6512

Considering these steps

2) Copy 7za.exe, dotnetfx.exe, _SNMsynth.ini and _SNMsynth.cmd to the folder that has the Disc contents.

3) run _SNMsynth.cmd

no, you don't copy them to the xp source folder. Choose any other directory, modify _SNMsynth.ini to process Net Framework 1.1 and produce an add-on and then run _SNMsynth.cmd.

You can add the resulting add-on into nLite' Hotfixes, Sddons and Update packs section.

Cheers

Yes and no.

Here is a ready-made add-on if you want one http://www.ryanvm.ne...opic.php?t=6512

Considering these steps

3) run _SNMsynth.cmd

no, you don't copy them to the xp source folder. Choose any other directory, modify _SNMsynth.ini to process Net Framework 1.1 and produce an add-on and then run _SNMsynth.cmd.

You can add the resulting add-on into nLite' Hotfixes, Sddons and Update packs section.

Cheers

Well I think I will just use the ready made addon. There are 4 on that page are they just mirrors so I just need one of them? Then I add this file and nothing else to the drivers page in Nlite?

There are 4 on that page are they just mirrors so I just need one of them? Then I add this file and nothing else to the drivers page in Nlite?

Yes, they are mirrors; you only need one of them. Add it to the Hotfixes, Addons and Update packs section in nLite (pic #6 in this picture guide http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html)

Cheers

There are 4 on that page are they just mirrors so I just need one of them? Then I add this file and nothing else to the drivers page in Nlite?

Yes, they are mirrors; you only need one of them. Add it to the Hotfixes, Addons and Update packs section in nLite (pic #6 in this picture guide http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html)

Cheers

Ok Thank You very much for the info :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.. i see other have already asked the same question I had in mind.

I'm also looking for a way to update this script and include the full .NET 4.0 package into the mix.

Then a single CD/DVD install will have all the latest add-ons and hot fixes for XP SP3

There is a line in "_SNMsynth.cmd" that I do not understand.

Can anyone help me?

It is line 14:

IF DEFINED SWITCH1 IF /I "!SWITCH1:~1!"=="echo" (@ECHO ON) ELSE ECHO ERROR: %1 is not a supported switch.&GOTO :PREEOF

What do the exclamation marks and the ":~1" in "!SWITCH1:~1!" do?

Also; does anyone know of a good, free, definitive, downloadable guide to the Command shell?

I found one:

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/

Edited by lazyman

• 1 month later...

This is essentially input for bphlpt and his quest.

It is a straightforward script, that I have made for my own use to be able to create .NET installers with the latest updates. It is heavily based on what I found inside SNM Synth, though much simplified and modified in parts, and I am only presenting it in case it might contain anything that would be useful for the next generation. (Also, as I have benefited from using SNM Synth, and feel indebted to it, I felt it was only proper to share this, whether or not it is of use to anybody. I am likewise grateful to anybody, whose contributions have helped to develop SNM Synth, and I certainly don't want anybody to perceive the script below as a rip-off.)

Its essential features are:

- It does Win2k and WinXP

- It does 1.1SP1 or (20SP2+30SP2+35SP1) or both in one installer. (of course not going beyond 20SP2 for Win2k)

- It does not do languages

- The installers are switchless, passive, and assume an msi.dll of at least 3.x on the target (2k vanilla has 2.x)

- There is no ini file, a reasonable (for me) set of options is hard-coded in (e.g. VC8/9 removed) though easily editable

- Selection and ordering of hotfixes has to be done by editing lists within the script itself.

To try it one begins by placing all .NET source files (including the _*.7z archives) in a .\SRC subdirectory, running the built-in extraction utility, and editing lists inside the script itself to match extracted source .msp's. As it's purpose is to be input for bphlpt (or others), and I have no interest in supporting anybody to use it, no further instructions are provided.

_DNFMAKE.zip

Edited by Inki

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, as I was examining SNM Synth to come up with my own gap-filling, work-around script (in the previous post), I came up against some questions, that were not critical, but for which I had no answers. So, out of pure curiosity, I wonder if anybody could comment on them:

1) If the target system is not Win2k, the installers created by SNM Synth examine the "System Setup In Progress" flag in registry. If the flag is set, the installers: (a.) temporarily reset the flag for the duration of the installation, and (b.) first clear some DW (Dr Watson, I presume) registry settings and afterwards set the registry to contain location information for DW20.exe. Now, I figured the DW stuff is related to the O2K3 debugger though I noticed that the registry manipulations are not linked to whether the debugger is present in the installers or not. Anyway, as I use the installers in an unattended installation CD, and don't use the O2K3 debugger, no DW stuff is present at runtime, so I left out the DW registry manipulations, because I prefer not to have location information for nonexistent files entered into registry. I did, however keep the SSIP flag manipulation, because I don't really know what that is for and thought that at least it would not do any harm. So the question here is: Can anybody comment on what the precise purpose of these registry manipulations by the installers could be?

2) On a general level, I understand that the .mst files contained in .7z archives that are packaged together with SNM Synth are used to manipulate installation instructions/detaíls stored inside .msi files. However, I have no clue as to what these instructions/details specifically are. So I wonder: Are there any publicly available tools for examining or manipulating the content of .msi or .mst files at that level of detail?

Edit:

Nevermind the second question after all. Being the complete amateur that I am, I had some apprehensions about finding tools for the purpose. However, voicing the question motivated me to search around, and I found some SDK's that contained orca.msi and mstview.exe, which seem adequate to satisfy my curiosity. Still, on first examination, transforming msi's seems to be a complicated business, not be entered lightly.

Edited by Inki

hello! it's nice to know this project still perks interests to some members. with all due respect, i was away for quite sometime so i ask if strel is still on board? hope all's well from his end. tomcat & strel, with regular feedback from members have made this a very handy tool. just wondering if we could still look forward to using this to cover updates (& fixes) to .net. cheers!

• 1 month later...

The desktop pplication I'm developing requires .NET Framework 3.5 and I want to build an unattended (only progress bar) setup .

So , I extracted 20100118_SNMsynth and saved dotnetfx35.exe (231 mb) in the same directory . Now, I need help configuring _SNMsynth.ini .

I want to include only the files required for my application to run on 32 and 64 bit OS . What settings should I use ?

How should I set this "TARGETOS=" if I want to make a setup for XP/Vista/WIndows 7 ?

NEED HELP URGENTLY

Thanks