The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

If you shorted them, then you might fried the terminals.

Oh Gradius, give him some hope. You cant fry terminals on drive by just shorting rx with tx. You should know that this connector is also used to limit drive to sata1. (next 2 pins) but smart owners can easily make mistake here. I dont think that placing a jumper there could fry terminal. Its just locked and solution is very easy.

just to clarify when using the cell phone cable method, all i need is the tx and rx cables from it right? then plug the HD into any sata power cable (i have a 2nd PSU i can use for this)

also i saw someone had a little white plug in their HD for the tx and rx wires so the plugs stay on those little pins. anyone know where to find a plug that small? i *think* header cables (like found in a computer case) are too big.

You can find this connector on old Seagate ST351A/X - it is on motor to pcb cable. It have 6 pins butyou can easily cut it to 4, looks great and fits great. Just search all stuff that you can have, eg. old floppy drives, especially 5,25. printers etc... some type of cd-rom audio cable uses same raster but plastic piece is too big and it doesnt fit. You can also use a wire (its used on power cables from pc psu) just cut it, and make a hole inside with needle or sth.

Use your imagination :)

64_1233589995.jpg

i'm DESPERATE!

i try to fix 1 of my 2 unrecognized (by BIOS) raid5 st3500320as, FW: SD15 harddrives. by using Gradius2's solution.

......and it did not work!!!

ill try to explain detailed, so there should not be any misunderstanding:

everything works fine up to this:

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

after this, i am supposed to POWER OFF the drive, wait 10 sec, then RESTORE POWER to the drive.

i do this.

then i press CTRL+Z BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!

the cursor is blinking in the hyperterminal, but i cannot enter any command!!!!

all cables are untouched, all is as before.....

it seems, as if the connection between hyperterminal and the drive gets lost!!! (because of the power off/on of the drive...is this possbile?).

so i cannot continue with the command:

m0,2,2,,,,,22

so i disconnected all........and started at the beginning....

(ie. removing PCB, etc.....)

again, all worked till command: 'i4,1,22'

then POWER OFF......wait 10 sec.......POWER ON.....and AGAIN, no reaction when i type CTRL+Z.

i cannot enter anything!!!!!

why?!?!?!?

i really hope, nothing happened to my drive/data so far....i mean, i could not enter the command 'm0,2,2,,,,,22' which Gradius2 said would be the crucial one.....

now i took another harddrive. (same model, same firmware)

i repeated all!

again, all fine till: 'i4,1,22'

then. POWER off.........waiting 10sec.........POWER on

no reaction after CTRL+Z (connection seems to be lost.).

so i click on 'disconnect' inside hyperterminal (4th icon from left), then on 'call' (3rd icon from left in hyperterminal), if i press CTRL+Z now, IT WORKS!!!

now i was able to continue with the command 'm0,2,2,,,,,22' on the testing drive.....

the response was (after about 40 sec):

=======================================================

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr

ite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000

00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs

F3 T>

=======================================================

1. why is this happening? why does it seem that the connection gets lost after powering up the drive?

2. does this affect the drive/data? i did not yet enter the m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

3. is this 'bad' if i need to 'disconnect' & 'call' in order to reset the connection between the drive and hyperterminal??

i'm lost !!!!

i hope you can help me

thx in advance, regards

cmburns

everything works fine up to this:

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

after this, i am supposed to POWER OFF the drive, wait 10 sec, then RESTORE POWER to the drive.

i do this.

It happens when someone make a solution which doesnt underestand. There is no need to clear Glist ( i4,1,22 ) you can just recount translator without g-list clearing. anyway its no need to do a power off/on after g-list clearing. just send next command and then (after it complete) do a power cycle.

It happens when someone make a solution which doesnt underestand. There is no need to clear Glist ( i4,1,22 ) you can just recount translator without g-list clearing. anyway its no need to do a power off/on after g-list clearing. just send next command and then (after it complete) do a power cycle.

do u think, did this already have an effect on the drive/data, ie. that i powered down / up without continuing with the following command?

only to be really sure: (im paranoid about my raid!...sorry)

i follow all commands described in Gradius2's solution,

at the point of:

'F3 1>/T (enter)'

'F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)'

i may do this (=i4,1,22), but it is not needed....then WITHOUT powering anything off/on, just continue with: 'm0,2,2,,,,,22' ??

since it stopped 2 times at the point: 'i4,1,22', but i already did the commands before...(ie. 'F3 1>N1 (enter)' for SMART erase....etc) so do i have to repeat all steps?? i don't want to make any mistake by repeating all this too many times.....

thank you again..

regards,

cmburns

If drive is recognized but has no capacity you dont have to clear smart at all. its only needed when drive stays busy and produces CC error on terminal. You dont need to repeat all these steps from start, just continue on step where you stop.

If drive is recognized but has no capacity you dont have to clear smart at all. its only needed when drive stays busy and produces CC error on terminal. You dont need to repeat all these steps from start, just continue on step where you stop.

i just checked:

the drive is recognized in BIOS but with SIZE 0MB.

the seagate-firmware boot-cd (SCAN) does NOT recognize the drive....so this means, i may continue now (via reconnecting to hyperterminal) directly with: 'm0,2,2,,,,,22' followed by a POWER OFF for the drive?? no other prior commands are needed?

thank you!

cmburns

just to clarify when using the cell phone cable method, all i need is the tx and rx cables from it right? then plug the HD into any sata power cable (i have a 2nd PSU i can use for this)

also i saw someone had a little white plug in their HD for the tx and rx wires so the plugs stay on those little pins. anyone know where to find a plug that small? i *think* header cables (like found in a computer case) are too big.

I used a spare header connector with the wires attched to interface with the tx rx on the hdd; I used a dremel tool to grind it down to fit; it provided me modular capability in case I need to use it again and a good connection without having to worry about shorting out or breaking the circuit mid-operation.

Hi, i had the BUSY problem, everything went normal until i reconnect hard power after disconnecting it after this command:

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

and by connecting the prower my computer hanged (maybe power shortage?)

Now my hard is detected but BIOS says it has error!

And the firmware updater dose not update it too.

What could i do now? I tried to go to the terminal again, but it seems not working. Any solution?

Thanks anyway

Hi, i had the BUSY problem, everything went normal until i reconnect hard power after disconnecting it after this command:

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

What could i do now? I tried to go to the terminal again, but it seems not working. Any solution?

Thanks anyway

remove pcb from hdd, plug terminal connectors, connect power and try to open terminal. when you got prompt repeat all but skip i4,1,22

thanks for the idea's about making the rx/tx cable. can anyonce clarify this part for me?

i just want to make sure im 100% clear on this. there's not going to be too many volts going thru the tx/rx lines (like 5v from the usb port or anything), and i dont need to worry about any kind of ground wire in the cell phone cable right?

i appreciate all your guys help, so in return i give you boobies

30cfa044772932917dd8f901dfee3383.jpg

a little OT:

how can I test if i fried my new ca42?

I have tried to connect with hyperteminal but i get it once... below now is always in automatic mode :-(

Another question:

It's better to power off when invert tx rx? :whistle:

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

Thanks anyway

remove pcb from hdd, plug terminal connectors, connect power and try to open terminal. when you got prompt repeat all but skip i4,1,22

thank you but do you mean removing the pcb totally or just the part related to the spin motor? (i tried once by just disconneting the spin motor part of the pcb and the terminal seemed not working)

thank you but do you mean removing the pcb totally or just the part related to the spin motor? (i tried once by just disconneting the spin motor part of the pcb and the terminal seemed not working)

I dont know who was stupid enough that told to insulating pins from motor (in original source user should insulate connector which goes to head assembly)

remove whole pcb and check that you can connect to terminal, if you can i will guide you what to do.

I dont know who was stupid enough that told to insulating pins from motor (in original source user should insulate connector which goes to head assembly)

remove whole pcb and check that you can connect to terminal, if you can i will guide you what to do.

Now you are full of help!!!

I put isolation. Betwen motor and pcb, if motor not spining, heads are still parked ans SA can not be read !