The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

00407_WhyAlwaysMeChampsNvy1112a.gif

Situation as follows:

- 4 HDDs - all Seagate.

- 3 of them 7200.11, all affected by BSY state bug.

- 2 bricked, 1 unaffected. Both bricked were unbricked.

- Updated firmware to all susceptible (or at least tried), using Seagate update ISO file AD14-AllMoose.ISO.

Results:

- HDD 1 - Old firmware SD15 - new firmware SD1A. This drive was never bricked.

- HDD 2 - Old firmware SD33 - new firmware SD3B. This drive WAS bricked.

- HDD 3 - Old firmware SD13 - Seagate firmware auto-update tool insists there is no firmware available for this drive and the drive ISN'T AFFECTED by the BSY state bug. This drive WAS bricked, despite what Seagate says.

Anyone can untangle all this ? I am lost. All firmwares were done using auto-update by Seagate tool.

at "smandurio" :

many thx for your clueless and very destructive comment... :no:

to the other:

i´ve just read that u can reflash the firmware on the PCB with ST_MEM for example (or with PC-3000 etc..) and via some RS232-ttl adaptor..(as mentioned above)

has anybody here some experiences with flashing with ST_MEM ?

many thx in advance !! :hello:

it is just the reality:

- your drive has broken heads

- your drive has wrong firmware

- even if you will reflash the firmware you lost the information to access the data (it is like you have broken your eeprom chip).

That is why I say bye bye to your data. There are too many serious problems all together that only a pro (maybe!) can recover.

Edited by smandurlo

I wonder HOW you can know that. :unsure:

got a ST31500341AS SD17, unusual "clack" at startup but was fully okay, saw it under computer-administration->everything wonderful but little "freezes" (it was on Vista btw..afterwards i´ve read that it could maybe a Vista-Problem..)

and how you know this:

- even if you will reflash the firmware you lost the information to access the data (it is like you have broken your eeprom chip).

jaclaz

many thx, Jaclaz ,

think the same..i had no broken heads, as i said before-> was full okay, had access under Vista and everything...

also this thing:

and how you know this:

why that ? any technical proof for that ?

whats me made a little bit angry is, if u got such "comments" from some clueless user u loose the hope and the faith in repairing such things..

and thats not the "sense" of this board/thread..u should get help here, no useless and destructive comments...

some technical: the drive specific data is still (could be) on the platter, additionally maybe one "backup" on every platter...

this ST_MEM "looks" very simple-> u have the ability to download and upload the FW..but i dont know how and there are two versions of it->free just for reading..

so any help, naturally also for the other user here, is still very appreciated...

I wonder HOW you can know that. :unsure:

got a ST31500341AS SD17, unusual "clack" at startup but was fully okay, saw it under computer-administration->everything wonderful but little "freezes" (it was on Vista btw..afterwards i´ve read that it could maybe a Vista-Problem..)

and how you know this:

jaclaz

Edited by sfb2

Well for the record - and to be more exact, the sense of the board is to exchange idea, info and help each other :yes: , WHILST the scope of this particular thread is ONLY about solving the BSY and/or LBA error on 7200.11 drives and NOT "I botched my drive with a wrong firmware, please help?" and NOT "I have different firmware upgrades and I cannot understand why?".

This part has been hopefully, but evidently vainly, expressed in the READ ME FIRST (the thing noone reads first ;)):

The intended Target:

The scope of a thread about problems of Seagate 7200.11 drives is to try and solve two specific problems:

1. BSY - or "busy" state
  2. LBA0 - or drive detected by BIOS with size 0

The non-targets:

• ANY other problem regarding this specific hard disk model (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANY problem regarding ANY hard disk BUT this specific one (Seagate 7200.11)
  • ANYTHING NOT listed as "target"

:whistle:

jaclaz

Hey guys,

Got a dammed barracuda 7200.11 1TB with the BSY problem. Got the cable Nokia ca42 compatible and follow all instructions. All was going well up until the last step, when I typed m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter) hyper terminal did not showed me anything back, not even after minutes... I turned off the drive and I repeated the process again, but got to the same point.

Now when I connect my drive to windows it actually detects it but prompt me to "initialized" it which I believe would format the drive and delete all my precious data. So I am not doing it.

You guys can help? What did I did wrong? Why did not get the last step? Will I loose all my data if I initialize the drive in windows vista?

Big thanks in advance for your replies.

Valium400mg

Hey guys,

Got a dammed barracuda 7200.11 1TB with the BSY problem. Got the cable Nokia ca42 compatible and follow all instructions. All was going well up until the last step, when I typed m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter) hyper terminal did not showed me anything back, not even after minutes... I turned off the drive and I repeated the process again, but got to the same point.

Now when I connect my drive to windows it actually detects it but prompt me to "initialized" it which I believe would format the drive and delete all my precious data. So I am not doing it.

You guys can help? What did I did wrong? Why did not get the last step? Will I loose all my data if I initialize the drive in windows vista?

Big thanks in advance for your replies.

Valium400mg

Hi! Here's Jose, from Spain. Fist time here.

I'm another one with a f***ed up 7200.11 BSY drive. I've been trying this solution but I have a problem. I just can't get pass the Power ON/OFF step. Once I power it on again, hyperterminal quits responding.

I'm using a CA-42 generic cable modified by me. It seems to work fine cause I can do the steps before the Power ON/OFF. I'm using Windows XP, and Hyperterminal, haven't tried putty.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Once I power it on again, hyperterminal quits responding.

Close hyperterminal and start it again.

CTRL+z, etc. should start a new session with the disk.

jaclaz

I've tried that too, but it doesn't respond to CTRL+Z. Could I skip the turn ON/OFF step, get back to test level prompt (/T) and do partition regeneration step ( F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter) )?

What do you think?

Thanks!

I've tried that too, but it doesn't respond to CTRL+Z. Could I skip the turn ON/OFF step, get back to test level prompt (/T) and do partition regeneration step ( F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter) )?

Yes, worst case hyperterminal will take a long time to respond. if that happens just power down again, establish connection and do last steps.