Disk.Sys STOP Error

Deland01

Ever since I installed XP X64 (clean install) I keep seeing the following error when I boot the system up. The error doesn’t happen every time just one in 3 times. Does anyone have any idea what it means or how to resolve it?

STOP 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFADF44307FFE, 0X0000000000000000, 0XFFFFFADF2842C2E0, 0X0000000000000000)

disk.sys - Address FFFFFADF2842C2E0 base at FFFFFADF2800 Datestamp 45d69708

Any suggestions?

Usually a stop 0x50 is a page fault in nonpaged pool, and if disk.sys is doing it I'd be very suspect of anything hooking hard disk access or potentially faulty disk drivers or the underlying disk hardware itself. Have you tested your disks to make sure they're OK? I'd start there, then I'd move up the chain and make sure the disk drivers / chipset drivers themselves are of the latest version, and then I'd make sure it wasn't your antivirus package, in that order.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting the same problem in x64. A possible clue is that manually launching Valve Steam often triggers the same blue screen error too.

An overnight Memtest86 test passes. BIOS and drivers are up to date. Temperatures within specs. Hmm.

Supermicro MBD-X8STE-O motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz processor

OCZ Platinum 12GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) memory

Western Digital Caviar WD1001FALS 1TB hard drive

Windows x64 fully updated

• 1 month later...

I wrote too soon. The problem returned shortly after reducing the memory size. So I bought new memory that was on the motherboard compatibility list and that fixed the problem.....for about a week. Back to the intermittent blue screens, especially when Steam connects. WTF? :(

• 7 years later...

OK, I'm bringing this fine, seven year old thread back from the dead because it's relevant to my problem :)

I am experiencing the same problem on a 2009 Mac Pro with 28 GB of RAM. I have XPx64 installed on the first HDD (Bay 1, aka SATA port 1), so that can be checked off.

I do have a bent pin in one of the CPU sockets, which has killed one of the RAM slots (otherwise I'd have 32 GB), but every other OS (OS X, Win 7x64, WinXP x86) runs perfectly??

Help???

c

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2016 at 12:16 AM, cc333 said:

OK, I'm bringing this fine, seven year old thread back from the dead because it's relevant to my problem :)

I am experiencing the same problem on a 2009 Mac Pro with 28 GB of RAM. I have XPx64 installed on the first HDD (Bay 1, aka SATA port 1), so that can be checked off.

I do have a bent pin in one of the CPU sockets, which has killed one of the RAM slots (otherwise I'd have 32 GB), but every other OS (OS X, Win 7x64, WinXP x86) runs perfectly??

Help???

c

that's bad.  a bent pin means a hardware problem and you need to take your mac pro laptop to a professional computer repair shop to have it fixed.