Integration of AMD / ATI SB7XX textmode RAID / AHCI drivers on an XP

MikeD

@ Smoking:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

In Properties > Hardware for the disk it says: 'Samsung SSD 840 Series SCSI Disk Device' and has the following info in Location: Bus Number 0, Target ID 3, LUN 0

In my device manager there is no entry for a SATA controller in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers but I do now have a SCSI and RAID controllers entry that contains AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and a AMD RAID Console. Therefore, I'm assuming I'm running in AHCI mode.

However, the Samsung Magician no longer recognises the SSD and I'm wondering if I did something wrong.

No, you have done everything the correct way.

AMD doesn't offer "clean" AHCI drivers for Windows XP. That is why you have to use an AMD RAID driver, which is AHCI compatible. The Samsung tool named Magician generally is not able to detect an AMD RAID Controller.

If you want to run a "clean" AMD AHCI driver named amd_sata.sys, you have to install Vista, Win7 or Win8.

• 6 months later...

Hi Fernando,

I recently purchased a HP 455 laptop and since then trying to install Windows XP-32 bit on this laptop. Currently, I have installed windows 7-Ultimate-32 bit. I am not successful installing windows XP after following all the guidelines and precautionary measures pointed in the earlier posts. I get the error message "AMD_SATA.SYS file not found" error during installation. Downloaded "32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.29 for XP mod by Fernando". Does not work for this hardware. Please help me. I am providing the details of the hardware of the laptop.

Specs taken using cpu-z application:

AMD E1-1200 apu with radeon hd graphics 7310

CHIPSET: AMD A40/A50 SERIES FCH REV.00

SOUTHBRIDGE: A55/A60M REV.11

HARDWARE ID taken from device manager:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

Standard ACHI 1.0 serial ATA controller

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&SUBSYS_188B103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&SUBSYS_188B103C
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_0106

Please let me know if you need any other information about the hardware. I have burnt more than 6 dvds till now without any success following the instructions in the earlier posts. Please let me know. Thanking EVERYONE here for very useful discussion here...

I get the error message "AMD_SATA.SYS file not found" error during installation. Downloaded "32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.29 for XP mod by Fernando".

Do you use the driver from post #234?

There is no file amd_sata.sys, nor at txtsetup.oem.

There is a file ahcix86.sys.

Which windows XP files do you use?

Did you include any other massstorage drivers? Did you include a Vista/Windows 7 AMD AHCI driver?

@ udaykamath:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

Hi Fernando,

I recently purchased a HP 455 laptop and since then trying to install Windows XP-32 bit on this laptop. Currently, I have installed windows 7-Ultimate-32 bit. I am not successful installing windows XP after following all the guidelines and precautionary measures pointed in the earlier posts. I get the error message "AMD_SATA.SYS file not found" error during installation. Downloaded "32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.29 for XP mod by Fernando". Does not work for this hardware. Please help me. I am providing the details of the hardware of the laptop.

HARDWARE ID taken from device manager:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

Standard ACHI 1.0 serial ATA controller

PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&SUBSYS_188B103C&REV_00
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_7804&CC_010601

The AMD AHCI Controller of your system has the DeviceID DEV_7804 is definitively supported by the modded AMD textmode driver, which I have offered at post #234.

So you either have integrated a wrong driverpack (the diver named "amd_sata.sys" is only usable with Vista and Win7/8, Windows XP needs a file named "ahcix86.sys" like cdob already has written) or you have used an XP source, which has already been modified.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 1 month later...

How do you enable AHCI mode AFTER you have installed XP?

Copy file ahcix86.sys to system32\drivers. Import this reg settings
REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1002&cc_0106]"Service"="ahcix86""ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86]"Type"=dword:00000001"Start"=dword:00000000"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"Tag"=dword:00000021"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\ahcix86.sys""Group"="SCSI Miniport"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters\PnpInterface]"5"=dword:00000001
Goto BIOS, set AHCI. Reboot.

How do you do the same thing in Windows 2000?

Basically do the same thing as in XP.

However: does ahcix86.sys support Windows 2000?

Hello. New to the forum. I have been searching for many days trying to find a way to install the AHCI drivers post Windows XP/SP3 and I found this site. I want to use this method of trying to get the AHCI option enabled.

I have a Biostar TA790GX128M V5.3 motherboard with the AMD SB750.

This method looks pretty straight forward except I have one question. The regedit that need to be imported into the registry list it as REGEDITV4 and I am assuming that this means Version 4 of the Registry Editor. However, I have Version 5.1.2600.1106 of the registry editor. Can I still use the REGEDITV4 script and import the file using the newer version of the registry editor that I have?

This would be the best way for me to get ACHI drivers loaded into my current XP installation. I want to use the AHCI instead of the Native IDE when I load Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer but I do not want to loose my Windows XP installation as there are too many files and folders that I want to keep, and some programs that I want to use Windows XP to run. I know that Windows 7 has the XP Emulation capability, but I would prefer to keep both my Windows XP/SP3 install that I have and also install the Windows 7 Ultimate.

Under the current configuration, I have to go into BIOS and change things around to load Windows XP using the Native IDE mode and then when I want to run Windows 7 Ultimate, I need to change the BIOS to AHCI. Dumping Windows XP and doing a fresh install using the nLite method is not an option for me at this time.

Thanks for your help and I am happy to have found this thread.

slessard:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

First of all I want to point out, that your request is absolutely off-topic. The switch from IDE to AHCI mode while running Windows XP has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and nothing to do with "nLite", which is the name of this MSFN Sub-Forum.

By the way: There is another option to get XP running in AHCI mode without the need of a clean install of the OS and without the need of a registry hack.

These are the steps:

1. Download and unzip a suitable AMD AHCI driver for Windows XP (e.g. the modded one, which I have linked within ths thread).

2. Boot into XP in IDE mode.

3. Open the "IDE "ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager.

4. Do a right click onto the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller", which s managing your system drive, and choose the following options: "Update Driver Software..." > "Browse my Computer ..." > "Let me pick ..." > "Have Disk ...".

5. Navigate to the file named ahcix86.inf, which is within the unzipped AMD AHCI driver folder, and force the replacement of the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" by the "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller".

6. Reboot and enter the BIOS while rebooting.

7. Set the AMD SATA Controller to "AHCI" mode.

8. Reboot into Windows XP.

10. Enjoy Windows XP in AHCI mode and a dual boot system without the need of switching the SATA mode while booting.

Good luck!

Fernando

slessard:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

First of all I want to point out, that your request is absolutely off-topic. The switch from IDE to AHCI mode while running Windows XP has nothing to do with the topic of this thread and nothing to do with "nLite", which is the name of this MSFN Sub-Forum.

By the way: There is another option to get XP running in AHCI mode without the need of a clean install of the OS and without the need of a registry hack.

These are the steps:

1. Download and unzip a suitable AMD AHCI driver for Windows XP (e.g. the modded one, which I have linked within ths thread).

4. Do a right click onto the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller", which s managing your system drive, and choose the following options: "Update Driver Software..." > "Browse my Computer ..." > "Let me pick ..." > "Have Disk ...".

5. Navigate to the file named ahcix86.inf, which is within the unzipped AMD AHCI driver folder, and force the replacement of the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" by the "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller".

10. Enjoy Windows XP in AHCI mode and a dual boot system without the need of switching the SATA mode while booting.

Good luck!

Fernando

Sorry about the hijack. I though this thread was what I was looking for.

The link that you mentioned in post 41 sends me to a "MediaFire" website that shows an invalid or deleted file.

Is this the zip file that you are talking about?

32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.29 for XP mod by Fernando.7z

Also, I have an AMD SATA Controller (Native IDE Mode) instead of the Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller. Is this the one that I should update? The other ones are AMD PCI IDE Controller and two of the Primary IDE Channels and two of the Seconday IDE Channels.

Also can you educate me and tell me what this BIOS setting in the Chipset page. It shows "Native IDE", "RAID", "AHCI", "Legacy IDE", and "IDE->AHCI". I am interested in what the last setting means. I can not find any documentation anywhere that addresses the "IDE->AHCI" selection. All I know is that if I select it, Windows XP will BSOD.

As a last, as I have already imported the reg hack from Cdob in post 9 and moved the file as indicated, should I revert back to an earlier version of the registry? I exported a copy before I ran the hack in case there was a problem and I needed to revert.

Thanks for your help and again, sorry to have hijacked this thread. I throught after reading through it that it was kind of dual topic and this was the best place to address this instead of starting a new thread.

Edited by slessard

@ Slessard:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

The link that you mentioned in post 41 sends me to a "MediaFire" website that shows an invalid or deleted file.

Is this the zip file that you are talking about?

32bit AMD SBxxx textmode driver v3.3.1540.29 for XP mod by Fernando.7z

You can find working links to the modded 32/64bit drivers within post #234 of this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/135840-integration-of-amd-ati-sb7xx-textmode-raid-ahci-drivers-on-an-xp/?p=1012118

Also, I have an AMD SATA Controller (Native IDE Mode) instead of the Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller. Is this the one that I should update? The other ones are AMD PCI IDE Controller and two of the Primary IDE Channels and two of the Seconday IDE Channels.

You will have to update the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, which is managing your system drive (the drive, which contains Windows XP). You have to find it out yourself.

Also can you educate me and tell me what this BIOS setting in the Chipset page. It shows "Native IDE", "RAID", "AHCI", "Legacy IDE", and "IDE->AHCI". I am interested in what the last setting means. I can not find any documentation anywhere that addresses the "IDE->AHCI" selection. All I know is that if I select it, Windows XP will BSOD.

I don't know, what the "IDE>AHCI" BIOS setting means. Please ask the manufacturer of your mainboard.

As a last, as I have already imported the reg hack from Cdob in post 9 and moved the file as indicated, should I revert back to an earlier version of the registry? I exported a copy before I ran the hack in case there was a problem and I needed to revert.

You should ask Cdob.

By the way: This is the nLite Forum and the topic of this thread is the "Integration of AMD/ATI SB7xx textmode drivers into a Windows XP CD".

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Fernando, glad to see this thread is still active thanks to you. Again, and I apologize for what I know is another off-topic post, I'm having a problem related to installing AHCI drivers post XP install. Because of all the activity here I thought it best to post in this thread though...

Since I was not able to install the drivers on install, I'm now trying to do so after the fact. Unfortunately no method I have tried seems to work. For reference, I'm running a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H with SB710.

Tried the manual driver update method first:

These are the steps:

Result: No matter what driver I use, tried yours as well as the one provided by Gigabyte [link], it says "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Then tried the registry editing method:

Copy file ahcix86.sys to system32\drivers. Import this reg settings

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1002&cc_0106]
"Service"="ahcix86"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Tag"=dword:00000021
"ImagePath"="system32\\drivers\\ahcix86.sys"
"Group"="SCSI Miniport"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86\Parameters\PnpInterface]
"5"=dword:00000001

Goto BIOS, set AHCI. Reboot.

Result: No effect. Enabling AHCI in BIOS causes XP to crash on a blue screen during boot.

Short of reinstalling the OS, I just don't know what else I can do. Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Edited by mentis

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H with SB710.

Which BSOD do you get?

Which IDE driver do you use currently?

A AMD IDE driver may conflict with the AMD AHCI driver.

Do you use Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller?

If not, then replace the AMD driver to Standard Dual Channel IDE at device manager. And disable the AMD IDE driver in registry.

Try the AMD SATA RAID/SATA AHCI Driver 3.1.1540.127 provided by Gigabyte.

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H with SB710.

Which BSOD do you get?

Which IDE driver do you use currently?

A AMD IDE driver may conflict with the AMD AHCI driver.

Do you use Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller?

If not, then replace the AMD driver to Standard Dual Channel IDE at device manager. And disable the AMD IDE driver in registry.

Try the AMD SATA RAID/SATA AHCI Driver 3.1.1540.127 provided by Gigabyte.

Hey cdob, thanks for the reply! So I'm not sure which BSOD it is since it reboots immediately and I didn't disable that feature.

Drivers I'm using are the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" (two devices) and the "Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller" (four devices).

That Gigabyte driver was the very first one I tried changing these to but I still got "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware" message. Is there any way to force installation of these drivers?

That Gigabyte driver was the very first one I tried changing these to but I still got "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware" message. Is there any way to force installation of these drivers?

Edit the inf file. However that's the last approach.

The hardware availables another one:

Read the manual: B. Configuring SATA controller mode in BIOS Setup

"OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type" can be set different to other SATA Ports.

Connect the HDD to SATA Port4/5. And set the BIOS to AHCI with SATA Port4/5 to IDE mode.

Boot XP from the HDD in IDE mode still. Next install AHCI drivers.

Goto BIOS and set SATA Port4/5 to AHCI mode.

Edit the inf file. However that's the last approach.

The hardware availables another one:

Read the manual: B. Configuring SATA controller mode in BIOS Setup

"OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type" can be set different to other SATA Ports.

Connect the HDD to SATA Port4/5. And set the BIOS to AHCI with SATA Port4/5 to IDE mode.

Boot XP from the HDD in IDE mode still. Next install AHCI drivers.

Goto BIOS and set SATA Port4/5 to AHCI mode.

Thanks again for an excellent suggestion! I tried this today. Got all excited as that seemed like it should work, but alas. Seems like the drive is not recognized when connected to port 4/5 :(.

I even tried disconnecting all other drivers but it's still not showing up. Perhaps editing the inf is my only option at this point?

Perhaps editing the inf is my only option at this point?

First I guess there is a XP backup...

Brute force: Kids, don't do this at home:

copy ahcix86.inf danger.inf, edit danger.inf

[ATI]%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1002%NapaDesc%=Napa_Inst,PCI\VEN_1022
Be aware: this connects all ATI/AMD devices to ahcix86.

If it's boot at AHCI mode, delete latest files %SystemRoot%\inf\oem*.* next. That's the files from danger.inf.

And delete the file danger.inf.

Windows PNP should ask to install AMD AHCI driver. Point to the file ahcix86.inf.

Reboot again.

Delete section [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#ven_1022]