hal.dll error at XP USB boot (multiboot_10_usb)

Maruko

Hello,

I'm using Multiboot_10_usb, everything is going ok untill when I boot from USB, it keeps saying hal.dll error.

I saw some answers about it, it's the partition structure which makes the error. What can I do about it and is it possible to tell it in a easy way?

I don't know which hard disk number I need to take or partition number, how can I find out?

It took me already days to find out how to install XP from an USB but keep failing, i'm on the good way but now hal.dll is in my way. Can someone help me?

Thank you,

Marco

You need to post more details on how is partitioned the drive you are installing XP from USB on.

Have you already checked FAQ#4? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/faqs-t116766.html

Or do you mean that you do not undestand the BOOT.INI Arcpath syntax? :unsure:

Here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/discovery-unusua...030-page-2.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/boot-ini-and-dif...365-page-2.html

Post your current BOOT.INI, too.

jaclaz

You need to post more details on how is partitioned the drive you are installing XP from USB on.

Well my laptop has 1 drive with 4 partitions (which I see in Windows Disk Management)

for FAQ4 it is not even possible to pick a partition, I just want to make a new 1 which I normally do at Windows installation.

I just want this usb stick working on all pc's or atleast get a menu with alot of options which 1 works.

Is this possible?

This is my boot.ini atm:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=10

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2, use if installing on HD2" /FASTDETECT

c:\grldr="4. Start GRUB4DOS Menu - DOS FPY IMAGES + Linux + XP Rec Cons + Vista"

C:\btsec\XATSP.bs="Attended Setup XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon"

I tried TXT Mode on another computer it works. So it depends on the partition structure, how can I fix it for all pc's?

Thank you.

Edited by jaclaz

Do you reach any boot menu at all, or you get HAL.DLL error right after you start from USB?

Do you pass the first part of setup, the text phase?

I get to the boot menu where I can make the option GUI mode or TXT mode.

I don't even get to the setup.

Thank you. I hope you have enough information to help me.

So when you choose TXT mode you get HAL.DLL not found error, right?

If yes- try changing C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs to A:\btsec\XPSTP.bs and report if you get past HAL.DLL error. Try with B:\btsec\XPSTP.bs too.

You may get another error later on, that's fine, the point is to check if your USB stick is seen by BIOS as floppy disk (getting drive letter A:), rather than a hard disk.

What laptop is that? Do you have any option in BIOS for USB mode- FD, HD, ZIP etc. ?

This is my boot.ini atm:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=10

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2, use if installing on HD2" /FASTDETECT

c:\grldr="4. Start GRUB4DOS Menu - DOS FPY IMAGES + Linux + XP Rec Cons + Vista"

C:\btsec\XATSP.bs="Attended Setup XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon"

rdisk(0) is the bootdisk.

When you boot from USB-stick then USB-stick is rdisk(0) and your internal HDD is rdisk(1)

You can only install XP on a Primary partition (max=4, but normally 1 or 2 followed by an Extended Partition with Logical Drives)

You cannot use for Install of XP a Logical Drive of the Extended Partition.

Study first Partitioning of your HDD using XP Disk Management.

Trying to launch GUI-mode with rdisk(0)partition(5) is completely wrong :ph34r:

For Install of XP on Partition 1 or on Partition 2 of your HDD you should use:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT

Read again the Section: hal.dll ERROR for Install of XP from USB

http://www.msfn.org/board/install-xp-usb-t111406.html

For Install of XP you should NOT make new partition as you say you are doing. :ph34r:

After booting from USB-stick with TXT-mode of XP Setup, then just Select the C: drive of your Harddisk for Install of XP.

If you Delete or Create partitions at that stage, then you get the trouble of not being able to launch the GUI-mode of XP setup.

Direct after Delete or Create of Partitions in TXT-mode of XP Setup, you always need to Reboot in TXT-mode of XP Setup.

So in that case you go TWICE through the first part of XP Setup.

This is the way to prevent your problem of NOT being able to launch the GUI-mode of XP setup.

Read again the Tutorial:

New Harddisk and Creating Partitions after Booting from USB-Drive:

Direct after Deleting and Creating New partitions, Quit XP Setup with F3

Edited by jaclaz

I know partition 5 is completely wrong, I was just testing a bit. I tried your ruls rdisk 1 partition 1 and 2, well it don't gives me a hal.dll error it keeps doing this:

Giving a - at left up of the screen and keeps on blinking. (like he's thinking but doesn't do anything) and it doesn't do anything anymore. that's right after picking the menu option.

TXT mode is working on 1 pc, on 2 other i've tried isn't working. it starts and after 20seconds it says: Windows stopped to prevent big damage. (Blue screen)

Can you help me with this problem? (Maybe it is because I already have Windows installed? Is that possible? I'm trying it at pc's with already Windows installed!)

Or do I need to format before installing?

Thank you again!!

Marco

Edited by jaclaz

Maruco, your reports are quite confusing and differ from each other :wacko:

Please answer all question asked, also mention what is written on the blue screen, what error code? That's the most important part of the blue screen. Look at the pinned FAQs thread too, is that error code mentioned there?

Do not QUOTE lengthy posts just to answer them, use ADD REPLY button instead, this makes thread much easier to read.

Ok sorry, I said hal.dll error is gone since you guys helped me with boot.ini

Now the error I get is: Windows will close cause to prevent damage, I cannot make a print screen of the error cause it's outside Windows.

I hope you can help me with this error? I used a legal copy of Windows so the files cannot be wrong.

Thank you.

Now the error I get is: Windows will close cause to prevent damage, I cannot make a print screen of the error cause it's outside Windows.

I hope you can help me with this error? I used a legal copy of Windows so the files cannot be wrong.

Thank you.

It's on blue background, right?

Lets try again:

...also mention what is written on the blue screen, what error code? That's the most important part of the blue screen. Look at the pinned FAQs thread too, is that error code mentioned there?...

• 2 years later...

hey.. I have one acer aspire one and i'm trying to instal the windows xp

but after i pass the txt mode i enter to gui mode and then show me this eror "windous could not start because the followihg file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root >\system32\hal.dll ."

help!!!!

what can I do to rezolv this problem....thx!!

hey.. I have one acer aspire one and i'm trying to instal the windows xp

but after i pass the txt mode i enter to gui mode and then show me this eror "windous could not start because the followihg file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root >\system32\hal.dll ."

help!!!!

what can I do to rezolv this problem....thx!!

You could READ (possibly attentively) this thread AND the links wimb posted? :unsure:

Post contents of your BOOT.INI or, more simply, change it with one like the following:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP 1st disk 1st volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP 1st disk 2nd volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="WinXP 1st disk 3rd volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="WinXP 1st disk 4th volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP 2nd disk 1st volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP 2nd disk 2nd volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="WinXP 2nd disk 3rd volume" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="WinXP 2nd disk 4th volume" /fastdetect

c:\grldr="grub4dos"

and try the various entries.

The error message, is (like commonly happens :whistle:) completely deceiving, what your Windows is trying to tell you (and failing miserably at it ;)) is something like:

"I cannot find the \Windows\ directory on the volume you pointed me to through the arcpath in BOOT.INI"

jaclaz