WinsetupfromUSB quirks

mjphelan

Awome Project..

Began setup todayusing a 16 gig Sandisk U3 Cruiser Micro.

The aim was to allow the installation of Server 2003, XP Pro 32 bit, adn wIndows 7 64 bit from the USB Drive, and provide some diagnostics tools to techs.

Primary Windows source (the top box) Server 2003 R2 - Straight from CD 1

XP SP3 via BartPE (Using UBCD4WIN) - Prepared using Nlite

Windows 7 64 bit - Prepared using Windows System Image manager

PartedMagic

Gotchas Discovered:

I managed to get the "Unable to write MBR" issue, it had a two fold fix.

1) Make sure all the OS source files are on the local hard drive, for some reason if anything other than the ISO is on the network, the build fails in one way or another.

Note: This could just be the network I am on, it's highly secured due to the nature of the business

2) As posted previously, use the 2.0.6 version of the HP USB Formatting tool.

Note: I awarded myself a muppet star after searching for ages on 't interweb for this version, only to find the note 2 pages later on this thread that it's included.

Labeling of the Boot Loader Entries

For Ease of use by the various techs, I needed to change the entries on the Grub boot loader to more accurately reflect the various Operating system installations.

Fix: simply edit the .lst entries accordingly.

Windows Server 2003 setup - works as expected

Windows 7 64 bit Setup - works as expected

Gparted - works as expected

UBCD4WIN

Initially, on selecting any option I recieved a "file not found" for all the items on the UBCD4WIN sub menu. for example

Booting GOBACK Removal tool
map --mem (hd0,0)//images/goback.ima (fd0)

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue

For DBAN I managed to fix this by copying the "menu.lst" from my UBCD source to the memory key as ubcd4win.lst however the error persists for all the other tools within UBCD4WIN.

I have verified that all the files are present on the USB key (dban.bzi, freedos,.img, goback.ima, memtest.iso, ntfs4dos.img) and the entries as far as I can tell are correctly listed in ubcd4win.lst.

title GOBACK Removal Tool
map --mem (hd0,0)//Images/goback.ima (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)

Still researching the issue, but I thought I'd post the story so far just in case ;o)

On a hunch, I changed

map --mem (hd0,0)//Images/goback.ima (fd0)

to

map --mem (hd0,0)/Images/goback.ima (fd0)

Now I'm recieving the folowing Output

Booting GOBACK Removal Tool
Filesystem type is ntfs, Partition type 0x07
FAT12 BPB found with 0cEb (jmp) leading the boot sector.

probed C/H/S = 80/2/36, probed total sectors = 5760
chainloader (fd0)+1

Error 25: Disk read error

The same change for Memtest86 reports the error

Filesystem type is ntfs, Partition type 0x07
chainloader (hd32)

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

*mumbles*

Edited by mjphelan

Actually using the HP format tool is NOT recommended (anymore).

The use of RMPREPUSB is advised.

Somehow the menu.lst entries you have are "botched".

The // is wrong, single / should work.

Post your WHOLE menu.lst, we'll see what fixes are needed.

More generally, change any double // with single / and change hard-code mapping with relative search.

Example:

change:

map --mem (hd0,0)/Images/goback.ima (fd0)

into:

find --set-root /Images/goback.ima

map --mem /Images/goback.ima (fd0)

If a given entry is giving you problems, go into command mode and try entering on command line each entry by itself (and press [ENTER]) and report the feedback grub4dos gives you.

To "finalize" a set of commands given on command line, type:

boot

and press [ENTER]

Read this:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/Grub4dos.htm

particularly these:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/basics.htm

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/cli.htm

If a given menu.lst gives you an error, it is likely that each subsequent test with same or other entries will fail if the memory remained "hooked".

To make sure this is not the case, go to command line and type:

map --unhook

[ENTER] before attempting using another entry in menu.lst.

To re-access menu.lst type on command line:

configfile /menu.lst

(if needed use the [TAB] automatic expansion to find the menu.lst in a sub-directory.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Actually using the HP format tool is NOT recommended (anymore).

The use of RMPREPUSB is advised.

For this key (and the others I have) the HP Tool is the only way to format the key with NTFS, the RMPREPUSB failes with error code 6 or error code 1.

The changes as advised worked fine. now for some in deapth reading on this Grum doohicky ;o)

Many thanks for the assistance

For this key (and the others I have) the HP Tool is the only way to format the key with NTFS, the RMPREPUSB failes with error code 6 or error code 1.

Strange. :blink:

Which OS?

Which keys?

Are you using latest RMPREPUSB?

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7739

If you have time and will, please post some details about the bug on the RMPREPUSB thread.

jaclaz

@mjphelan

Did you replace ubcd4win.lst in USB stick with another one? The program should add that file to the root of USB stick with the correct syntax, no double slashes. Look at \WinSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\ubcd4win.lst.

Double slashes worked with older grub4dos versions, which were(are?) used in UBUSB, but not with newish versions.

ilko_t: Yes, the lst file was replaced, this was because the existing one did not work with the version of UBCD4WIN I had avaliable (Latest downlaod from the UBCD4WIN site)

jaclaz: I'm using hte version supplied with the current download of WinSetupFromUSB and I was following hte instricitons within the origional thread.

OS is Windows 7 64 bit,

Key is 16 gig Sandisk U3 Cruiser Micro.

I made the assumption that Win7 x64 was the cause. not realy an issue for me since I can work around using the older HP Tool for now.

I made the assumption that Win7 x64 was the cause. not realy an issue for me since I can work around using the older HP Tool for now.

Well, I guess that you reported together different problems, and this only makes the things confusing.

The problem of RMprepUSB under Windows 7 is most probably due to this:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8200

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=8200&st=16

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=8200&st=24

Simple fix, under Windows 7, put the volume "offline":

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=8200&st=28

About the UBCD4WIN menu.lst instead of replacing it, you should correct it properly.

jaclaz

ilko_t: Yes, the lst file was replaced, this was because the existing one did not work with the version of UBCD4WIN I had avaliable (Latest downlaod from the UBCD4WIN site)...
I am comparing menu.lst in \UBCD4Win3.50\plugin\!Critical\ubcd4winToUSB\grub4dos\ with ubcd4win.lst. Locations are the same, the difference is that folder images is Images in menu.lst, with capital "I". This may matter depending on grub4dos version.

UBCD4Win 3.50 creates folder "images" inside BartPE folder. ubcd4win.lst has the proper syntax for newest grub4dos versions.

I can't see a reason why ubcd4win.lst did not work, besides, no idea what exactly did not work.

The reason I am bringing this up is to fix ubcd4win.lst if there is something incorrect in it.