setupapi.dll and WinXP SP1.0a

To be able modify the Windows install CD files, one need to hack the setupapi.dll file. There are well explained and documented where and what to modify for Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2, thanks to fdv: http://www.vorck.com/windows/edit-setupapi.html

However the guide cover only the there mentioned Windows versions, not the one I want to use. Searching for the "90 90 90 90 90 8B FF 55 8B EC 8B 45 2C 33 C9 3B C1" as Fred Vorck suggested turn out of no result in my version of the file. You can check it for yourself:

[Link removed.]

So, what I need is some help how to do this. I cannot find the byte sequence for the XP SP3 version - 8B FF 55 8B EC - but I can found the byte sequences (4 cases of them) as for the Windows 2000 SP4 setupapi.dll file = 55 8B EC FF 75. When I changed the second one of them (as in Win2kSP version of the file), at the offset 4F17D (not same as for Win2k SP4 version of the file) it does not work at all. The install went file, but hand on on network components, at about 60% forever.

I did use the modifyPE -c on the file after I modified it to make the setup working...

When I pushed harder to make sure it is the modification fault, then I tried remove the "_X" that cause the setup to check the files:

Windows chokes on some modified INF files like LAYOUT is because it checks file sizes against the list in the LAYOUT.INF file of any file that has an _X in its line. In other words, if we open LAYOUT.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF, and find the line of that file, it reads:

layout.inf = 2,,244801,,,,_x,20,0,0

If you want to modify this file, delete the _X!

layout.inf = 2,,244801,,,,,20,0,0

So I did and the setup immediatelly after the first reboot started to complaining about modified files that are "serious problem" and setup "cannot continue". That means the patch I made to the setupapi.dll is not working :(

So, I asking if anyone know the correct byte sequence or have some ideas to try on my file. Thanks!

Edited by dencorso
Link removed - violation of Rule # 1.b

Your link was a redist of a Microsoft file, from a non-Microsoft server location. :realmad:

As per Rule # 1.b, I've removed the link.

Please follow the rules - consider yourself warned!

BTW, the reason you didn't find where to patch is because the SP1a file doesn't need to be patched...

• 3 years later...
BTW, the reason you didn't find where to patch is because the SP1a file doesn't need to be patched...

I stand corrected! It does indeed need patching, all right! Turns out you were right all along, caps_buster!!! Sorry! :blushing:

So, let me tell you how it's done (for setupapi.dll v. 5.1.2600.1106 ENU, MD5 = D82C5FB1175BC5E0975184CC5AEB35E6):

At file offset 0004C83C one finds <558BEC8B45> and mods it to <33C0C23000>, as usual. :yes:

And don't forget the good old < modifype setupapi.dll -c > at the end.

Later edit: I've checked... same offset also holds for the CSY version.

Guess I, too, (at least on THIS ONE SUBJECT) owe an apology also. :blushing:

Caps_Buster, it might ALSO behoove you to not argue so much. The resolution to your problems may come much quicker. :yes:

Good find, Dencorso! :thumbup

Good luck, Caps_Buster! :D

(today is emoticon day...)

For the benefit of future techno archeologists :w00t: , it is not that dencorso waked up one morning and decided to double check a statement he made some 4 years earlier.

caps_buster re-posted the question here:

and *someone* (who wishes to remain anonymmous :angel ) nagged dencorso about re-checking the above information.

As well, submix8c is not - as it would seem reading just this thread - (completely) crazy, he is apologizing here for what was written there.

Anyway, all is well that ends well :thumbup we have now a confirmed piece of info, only thing remaining is to check if it works on Czech version. :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz :no: - TOTALLY insane (I have grandkids "permanently" living with us)... :crazy:

IF this is "useful" info perhaps the FULL instructions from Fred's website should be gathered (assuming he doesn't care) for step-by-step into a separate topic and "Stuckied" somewhere. :unsure:

edit - forgot to mention - I had left that other Topic subsequently untouched to prevent further "hassle"...

Edited by submix8c