Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Actually, that issue is fixed in App-V 4.6 SP1 with hotfix package 4 applied. If you aren't there already, get those installed and re-test. Assuming you're not pulling down new packages to cache from App-V during the trace, that should go away.

sftlist = Microsoft App-V : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Application_Virtualization

do you use an Office version which uses Click & Run?

Actually I do, it's just a starter 2010 version that was provided with the computer. I'm currently un-installing it and re-installing another version.. will see if I can not include "Click & Run"... not even sure what it is/does.. I'm pretty noob with all the latest stuff sadly....

Actually, that issue is fixed in App-V 4.6 SP1 with hotfix package 4 applied. If you aren't there already, get those installed and re-test. Assuming you're not pulling down new packages to cache from App-V during the trace, that should go away.

I went to apply that SP1 & Hot fix and it said I didn't have V4.5____ or later installed..? I have no idea what App-V even is, even after reading the Wikipedia & Microsoft pages.. really hoping it's Office that's at the source or else I'll have to look more into this. I'll edit or post back once the Office install goes through, hope it solves it! Thanks for your help both of you, much appreciated. As you can see my start up time is.. well, over 3 minutes lol so I really do appreciate the help.

Edit: Un-installed Office Starter 2010 and my start up was at least half as slow, fully loaded and ready to go in about a minute and a half versus 3+, hopefully when I install this other version it'll keep up :)

2nd Edit: Here are my new results: I'm going to run your fixes again and see if that helps improve things even more.

34zes5e.jpg

3rd Edit: Ran your fixes from here again, big difference again! :) Start-up is MUCH faster than before, thank you so much for your help! Here's the screenshot of the latest trace

210boyx.jpg

Edited by WillMahler

The App-V fixes are only for App-V. For the Click & Run version MSFT releases different updates. So maybe in the future (when Windows 8 comes) you get updates for Office which may also include this fix.

if you have a traditional HDD run the optimization from the other topic.

Edited by MagicAndre1981

The App-V fixes are only for App-V. For the Click & Run version MSFT releases different updates. So maybe in the feature (when Windows 8 comes) you get updates for Office which may also include this fix.

if you have a traditional HDD run the optimization from the other topic.

Ahh that explains it, thanks MagicAndre. I applied the optimization again after the 2nd edit, 3rd edit picture shows final results. Now when I start up, I can use my computer in a little over a minute, before it was 3+ minutes :unsure: Huge difference, thanks again for all your help, much appreciated! :thumbup

please activate AHCI mode, your SSD and HDD run both in ATAPI/IDE mode which slows down the drives.

Also disable some programs at startup (ATI CCC, Logitech, Adobe prefetcher). Also if you use an ATI 6970, disable the Intel HD graphic of your CPU and uninstall the drivers and tools from Intel.

Andre, I double checked to ensure my BIOS is set to AHCI. I am 90% sure it was set to AHCI mode when my Windows was installed. For my benefit, can you explain where in the trace file shows that I am running in ATAPI/IDE mode? My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3, BIOS version F8.

Could you also please teach me how to discern how long my load times are being increased by ATI CCC, Logitech, Adobe prefetcher, and the Intel graphic driver? I'm not worried about a difference of 5 seconds, but I am concerned it is taking me over a minute to complete a boot cycle with a decent quality SSD when my laptop HDD can do it in approximately the same amount of time.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by fishmcfish

The intel tool and ATI CCC are both .net tools which start slowly. And running such tools at startup slows down Windows a lot. I saw the issue with CCC on my system and removed it completely because of the slowdown. And loading drivers and tools (Intel) that you never use is not the best idea. The Adobe prefetcher is completely useless with a fast SSD. Any prefetcher makes no sense because the SSDs are so fast, so that Windows 7 also disables the Superfetch service if the WinSAT tool detect high HDD scores.

I see the IDE/ATAPI because of this:

IDE\DISKOCZ-VERTEX3_____________________________2.15____\4&F58E17D&0&0.0.0

IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAS124___B_______________________AL0S____\4&F58E17D&0&0.1.0

IDE\DISKST32000542AS____________________________CC34____\4&F58E17D&0&0.2.0

AHCI would show up as SCSI\DISKOCZ. Can you show me a screenshot of the Device manager (expand the Controller node)?

The intel tool and ATI CCC are both .net tools which start slowly. And running such tools at startup slows down Windows a lot. I saw the issue with CCC on my system and removed it completely because of the slowdown. And loading drivers and tools (Intel) that you never use is not the best idea. The Adobe prefetcher is completely useless with a fast SSD. Any prefetcher makes no sense because the SSDs are so fast, so that Windows 7 also disables the Superfetch service if the WinSAT tool detect high HDD scores.

I see the IDE/ATAPI because of this:

IDE\DISKOCZ-VERTEX3_____________________________2.15____\4&F58E17D&0&0.0.0

IDE\CDROMATAPI_IHAS124___B_______________________AL0S____\4&F58E17D&0&0.1.0

IDE\DISKST32000542AS____________________________CC34____\4&F58E17D&0&0.2.0

AHCI would show up as SCSI\DISKOCZ. Can you show me a screenshot of the Device manager (expand the Controller node)?

Thanks for the explanation. I've attached the screenshot you requested.

I looked into removing the Adobe prefetcher last night but couldn't find any information. Do you have any instructions or a relevant link?

I've removed CCC and the Intel graphics driver, unplugged my DVD drive and external HDD with no noticeable effect on start-up times.

Still can't figure out why it would show my SSD as IDE.

post-341852-0-86794000-1325730824_thumb.

Edited by fishmcfish

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've got a big problem, I issued the command from first post and got the BSOD. I enabled system restore prior to installing the MSI and before issuing the command taking manual sys restore snapshots. Now for the problem, system restore fails to restore with an F8-sys restore! Now I need to gut out whatever boot driver and registry keys are installed for the boot tracing as a system rebuild is out of the question. Can you shed some light onto what I can manually remove via an alternate boot livecd to restore my system to a usable state?

Thanks!

For anyone in the same boat where sys restore fails, here's what I did to recover to bootable to then uninstall and reinstall the trace tools to then start fresh WITHOUT the drivers trace:

1. Boot an alternate livecd

2. MOVE the following 3 directories out of "C:\Program Files" to say C:\Temp:

-Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)

-Microsoft SDKs

-Microsoft Windows Performance Toolkit

3. Restart in NORMAL mode (NOTE: SAFE mode still BSOD for me)

4. Type your password to log in and immediately hold the SHIFT key to stop startup programs

5. Once system settles, MOVE those 3 folders back to "C:\Program Files"

6. Go into add/remove programs and uninstall all 3

If you then wish to start over without the DRIVERS trace, reinstall them and start over. Hope it helps!