Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

I think I found the cause of my problem and it was hardware, not software.

When I turned on my computer today the HDD was unreadable. I'm just glad it failed early before I had any significant amount of data on it.

Thanks for your quick responses.

@DuskDragon

Yeah, bad hardware can be an unseen problem. Someone I know's computer took 8 minutes to start, and I couldn't figure out why since the specs were very impressive. Well, after he gave it to me to sell for him, I booted it up to test it and it took well under a minute. I was very surprised! The best I can figure is the reason for the long boot time was all the usb devices he had plugged into it. It would spend four minutes alone in the bios screen, I figue trying to make sense of all the usb devices he had plugged into it.

Thanks,

SonofNun

@DuskDragon

Yeah, bad hardware can be an unseen problem. Someone I know's computer took 8 minutes to start, and I couldn't figure out why since the specs were very impressive. Well, after he gave it to me to sell for him, I booted it up to test it and it took well under a minute. I was very surprised! The best I can figure is the reason for the long boot time was all the usb devices he had plugged into it. It would spend four minutes alone in the bios screen, I figue trying to make sense of all the usb devices he had plugged into it.

Thanks,

SonofNun

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

To start create a summary xml file, i type xperf /tti -i standby_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_boot.xml -a boot

message is:

xperf : error: summary_boot.xml: failed to open output file (0x80070005)

Tried even with elevated cmd. Did not help

Any idea how to generate the xml ? Or can anyone understand the content of my etl file to analyze this directly ?

Edited by zurzach7