How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

Thanks a lot, MagicAndre. :))

How long does it take to read the results and go straight to the 'bad' processes? :)

if you do this a lot of times you know how to read it. I've explained how to read it a bit more in my the tracing guide which I linked to explain PreSMSS.

Please see my latest etl file after uninstall Norton AV and installing MSE and let me know if is it ok !

My link

Hi,

your Windows boots to the desktop in about 24s and is completely booted in 28s:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="23749" bootDoneViaPostBoot="38149"

The Notebook Performance Tuning Service (TEMPRO) causes a boot delay:

post-70718-0-36395300-1336161771_thumb.p

Do you really need all of the 7 TOSHIBA services?

Also entering the password causes a delay. Do you enter the password each time or do you use automatic logon?

The rest is ok. Prefetcher works well (most bars are green and orange which is good):

post-70718-0-40066700-1336162047_thumb.p

Hey MagicAndre, I fixed my boot time! It wasn't any device at all that was causing my slowness...it was...

...a stupid font file!

I generated a boot log with Process Monitor, and in that log, I isolated all events with a duration of at least one second. Out of tens of thousands of total events (if I recall, correctly--maybe even hundreds of thousands, fewer than 10 lasted more than a second, and so, the offender became instantly visible. It was a leftover ttf file from a font family I installed and tested on April 13 (yeah, some unlucky Friday that turned out to be for me, ha), but then promptly uninstalled. I'm not sure why that one file got left behind...perhaps because it's encrypted (as evidenced by the green color in Explorer). Why anyone would distribute an encrypted font file, who knows...even more odd, why only encrypt one file of a set? Whatever. In any case, I guess because of the encryption, and because it's a file I downloaded in my previous install of Windows, my current install could not access the file...hmm...Process Monitor reported an "access denied" warning on the file, and a hold-up of 20 seconds, the average length of the boot delay I've been experiencing.

Wow, nice find :thumbup I've never seen this. But because of the power of ProcMon you fixed it :):thumbup :thumbup

I've uploaded a new trace. May you take a look at it, and tell me if there's anything more I can do to wring out even another second from my boot time? Haha. I've probably gotten as low as I can already.

Your Windows boots really fast:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="17319" bootDoneViaPostBoot="29119" postBootDisturbance="1800"

17s to the desktop and 19s to boot completely (only 1.8s delay caused of startup tools).

That's great for a laptop HDD (even when it is a 7200rpm laptop HDD) :)

Hi Andre,

thanks a lot for the reply :-)

I do not need tempro!

I will try to run with less services and see what will happen!

About logon...no, I never enter a password! Is any way to speed this since I never type any password?

Regards,

paulo

Edited by paulobao

When I bought the laptop 2 months ago I set a password and even experimented the finger print scanner built in (just for fun...).

But after a while I disabled the login password! Now what I do is to open the lid or press on to start my laptop, no passwords!

What should I check to see if there is any password ?

paulo

Well, thanks for your help before, MagicAndre. I don't think I would've found ProcMon when I did, without reading through your tutorial and the associated comments.

So, my computer actually boots in less than 20 seconds...that's awesome, haha. Ever since I first discovered the Diagnostics/Performance Event log (back in my Vista days), I've normally used the boot time figures there, never knowing about the 10 second idle time or whatever, that's tacked on. Oh well--now I know :)

As for the very small delay by startup tools--I've always made a huge effort to keep auto loading junk away from my boot process. I only have one enabled entry in my MSconfig startup tab :) I may even experiment with disabling that and instead setting a scheduled task to start it shortly after I log on, because I don't absolutely need it to run at startup.

But when I hit ShellRunas.exe nothing happens!

with commandline /reg it shoud register and when you make a rightclick on a exe you should see the entry in the context menu:

cc300361.ShellRunas(en-us,MSDN.10).jpg

So, my computer actually boots in less than 20 seconds...that's awesome, haha.

this is indeed fast (and fluid :D ). You can send Mark an email, he always searches for strange thing users have fixed with Sysinternals tools for his series "The Case of the Unexplained"

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2011/WCL304

this font issue maybe something for his collection and maybe he shows it in one of the videos.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic - I wanted to test if this method would work for me and it didn't. I don't think it's bad though because my system was booting pretty fast already:

- BIOS initialization and device detecion from pressing power on button: 16 seconds (I think we don't have much influence on this anyway)

- Windows 7 startup till desktop becomes visible: 25 seconds

- about 5 seconds till everything becomes fully responsive after visible icon refreshing on the desktop

I got these times using my stopwatch and they are very consistent (unless restarting after a windows update). Considering my computer is pretty low specsed by today's standards I find these results very good. My computer: win 7 32-bit, 2GB RAM, 250GB WD 7200 HD, Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.10GHz, nVidia 7300 GT. The installed programs that run on startup are: Apache service, Mysql service, a small AutoHotKey script, VirtuaWin, CiDial (a small program that connects to my PPoE connection) and some other small services like PowerDVD, Realtek Audio Manager, Java updater, Nikon Message Center, Adobe Reader and Google Update. But - I run no anti-virus, I only run an AV scan on demand from time to time and I'm trying to keep my system clean.

xbootmgr took almost one hour to complete with 6 reboots and disk defrag but the boot times didn't change at all. I'm in no way criticising this tool, I just want to report that on a system that is not bloated with unwanted programs it may have no effect at all. Most probably the built-in windows prefetcher have been doing its job well automatically.

run those 2 commands

xperf /tti -i bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl -o 01_summary_boot_start.xml -a boot
xperf /tti -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl -o 02_summary_boot_end.xml -a boot

now open both XML files and look at the the following values in both files:

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="100839" bootDoneViaPostBoot="179939"

both values should be lower in the 02_summary_boot_end.xml. If not open both ETL files and look at the Ready Boot graph and if both show green and orange the cache was already fine.

both values should be lower in the 02_summary_boot_end.xml.

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="55121" bootDoneViaPostBoot="79721"

<timing bootDoneViaExplorer="20579" bootDoneViaPostBoot="-1"

So the values are lower in 02_summary_boot_end.xml, however -1 looks strange.

If not open both ETL files and look at the Ready Boot graph and if both show green and orange the cache was already fine.

For boot_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl the graph is mostly green and orange with some very small amounts of blue and even smaller of blacks and reds.

For bootPrep_BASE+CSWITCH_1.etl the graph is mostly black with small amounts of blue.

I'm not sure what that means but I guess most of the cache should have been fine already.

the boot is much better. Before the optimization it took 55s to boot to the desktop and now it takes 20s.

The -1 shows hat you stopped the trace to early, so Windows was not able to capture all data. Always et the 120s countdown tick down completely.

Black with blue is bad. That's why Windows took so long to boot to the desktop. Orange and green is now fine :):thumbup :thumbup

the boot is much better. Before the optimization it took 55s to boot to the desktop and now it takes 20s.

The -1 shows hat you stopped the trace to early, so Windows was not able to capture all data. Always et the 120s countdown tick down completely.

Black with blue is bad. That's why Windows took so long to boot to the desktop. Orange and green is now fine :):thumbup :thumbup

Okay thanks, I see now how to interpret the data. But these measurements must be way off and very inaccurate because I measured boot time many times before with my stopwatch and I am sure booting to the desktop was consistently 25s and now I learn it was 55s - the difference is too big and something must have gone wrong with how xbootmgr captured all those times. Results using my stopwatch clearly show that there was no speed improvement - at least not greater than 1 second. Perhaps there was some rare coinsidence of Windows performing some update or maintenance cleanup just when xbootmgr rebooted for the first time? The results leave a good impression of speed improvement whereas there was none...