How to speed up boot process under Windows Vista or Windows 7

ok this is really stupid

in total i have gotten 2 different error messages

the third time was the lucky time it just worked and i havent changed the code or anything els

so people it does work and i appreciate the help i got from U

thank you very much.

still one question stand: why is this not normaly integrated in windows and why hasnt anyone made a easy tool for it so every body can use it?

• 4 weeks later...

i just got around to running this on a machine.

i tried my laptop since its the machine i reboot the most.

Windows 7 Ent Dell d830 c2d@2G 2Gb ram

i tried 3 test boots before installing the sdk (timed as a cold start from power button to C+A+D to login)

1 min 45 seconds

3 min 10 seconds

1 min 55 seconds

after the 6 reboots (and 6 logins and answering 6 UAC prompts between boots) i get:

1 min 21 seconds

1 min 20 seconds

1 min 25 seconds

1 min 21 seconds

1 min 22 seconds

not a major increase but if nothing else its more consistent (wish i woulda taken a few more "before" times)

• 6 months later...

Hi,

This post is great and I already have got a small improvement in boot times from following the instructions.

Now I would like to see if I can squeeze a further improvement by analysing the results of a boot trace. Unfortunately, the results don't mean anything to me so I'm hoping somebody will have a look at them and give me some advice.

The results of the test are here: http://rapidshare.com/files/412666586/boot_BASE_CSWITCH_DRIVERS_POWER_1.zip

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris

Hi Chris,

your Windows boots in 30s to the desktop and is fully booted in 61 seconds.

What I see is that the PostBoot Takes 30s. This means the tools which run at login (startup) are slowing down your System.

I can see that you have Norton AntiVirus (NAV, ccsvchst.exe (1764), 0x00000043, Running) installed. This service hangs and causes a huge IO activity. I hate the yellow pest. You should use other freeware tools like Avira AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/en/index.html) or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Next, run AutoRuns (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) and disable all not needed tools (Live Messenger, iTunes, iPod). only start them when you need them.

After doing this run the optimization again.

André

Hi Andre,

Okay, Norton Anti Virus is gone and replaced with Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have the AutoRuns tools but aren't sure what to disbale. There are various tabs across the top - I want to make sure I don't disable anything important. I guess the most likely looking tab is the one labelled "Logon".

Am I looking at the correct items?

Thanks,

Chris