How to get the cause of high CPU usage by DPC / Interrupt

Well, I've discovered what "general" thing was causing the problem. It was my seperate graphics card (nvidia 9800gtx+). I called Asus tech support and the guy suggested I try using the onboard graphics to see if that helps... and it did.

thanks. This is strange. the picture doesn't show this :wacko:

I've been having problems with my 4th core (core 3) usually up around 80% usage while all the other cores are idled around ~5% under normal circumstances without running any intensive programs. In the resource monitor, I noticed the culprit was the System Interrupts which was well above the rest of the processes at ~25% average cpu, occasionally exceeding that approaching 60% right now. I ran the tests that you described and am unable to come to a solution myself. Would you be able to look at the .etl file for me and suggest any possible solutions?

Picture of the graph:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4264/graphsm.png

DCP_Interrupt.etl:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3N2RKS5C

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Motherboard

AMD Phenom II 940

Corsair XM2 4 GB (2x2 GB)

NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX+

250 GB WD Caviar Blue IDE HD (WD2500LB)

80 GB WD Caviar Blue IDE HD (WD800LB)

Edited by mulhearn1022

@mulhearn1022

you also have ATAport.sys issues:

Total = 16385 for module ataport.SYS

Elapsed Time, > 512 usecs AND <= 1024 usecs, 3, or 0.02%

Elapsed Time, > 1024 usecs AND <= 2048 usecs, 9, or 0.05%

Elapsed Time, > 2048 usecs AND <= 4096 usecs, 492, or 3.00%

Elapsed Time, > 4096 usecs AND <= 8192 usecs, 1845, or 11.26%

Elapsed Time, > 8192 usecs AND <= 16384 usecs, 2, or 0.01%

read what demokid18 wrote. he had the same card and this card causes the ATAport.sys issue. Can you also test a different card and let use know if this fixes it.

Do you use the latest nForce drivers.

Hello Andre, I'm going to send you a PM with a link to my DCP_Interrupt.etl. In resource monitor System Interrupts constantly jumps around 0-8% cpu and sometimes spikes up to 10-20%. Hopefully you can help me figure out why. I'm on a pc I built with the latest BIOS and Chipset drivers. I really appreciate the dedicated service you're providing here.

Do you have any glitches or other issues?

I dumped the result into a txt file, like shown in the first post. The highest spikes are on 128µsec. This doesn't cause sound issues.

The tcpip.sys, nvlddmkm.sys and the mysterious UNKNOWN have the highest µsec values.

So update the driver for your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and for your NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT.

best regards

André

I will uninstall and use Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode for nvidia and realtek audio and update them. I will also uninstall and update the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. Maybe I need to rerun the dpc trace because I have a dpc checker tool from TC Electronic (http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=30) that constantly spikes in the 1000-2000 us range and with it running right now I have a max latency as stated by the program of 2793 us (program says Your computer performance is not optimal for streaming). I have a firewire tc electronic impact twin audio interface connected to a pcie firewire card with a Texas Instruments chip (all the major manufacturers like m-audio, tc electronic, and focusrite strongly recommend a TI chip) that is getting audio dropout on windows media player and DAWs with buffer set to 512 (with my old mainboard buffer was fine at 128-256). I use both onboard audio and impact twin because I use teamspeak 3 and my headset mic doesn't work with the impact twin.

I just got this pcie card for xmas so this is the 1st I've used the impact twin with this mainboard (had this mainboard for around 2 months). Before I had an old sockete939 mainboard with an onboard TI firewire chip under the same win7 x64 install which gave me 0 problems except for some BSOD about once a week. The old board hovered around 100-300 us with the dpc checker tool.

I'm also contemplating a total reformat if I can't solve the issue due to the fact my phenom II x4 955 BE is arriving tomorrow and I wan't things running cleanly...

Edited by M3TAl

Hi!

Ive followed this thread for a while to try figure out what causing my DPC spikes.

But now ill give up...

This is the log from Latencymon.

Your system appears to be suitable for playing real time audio without dropouts.

Time running: 0:02:42

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 995

Responsible driver: ataport.SYS (ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation)

DPC count (execution time <500 µs): 6965176

DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 58

DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 200

Responsible driver: ataport.SYS (ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation)

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 8822632

ISR count (execution time 250-499 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time >=2000 µs): 0

Highest pagefault resolution time (µs): 1010689

Hard pagefault count (total): 158579

Number of processes hit: 41

Pagefault count of hardest hit process: 32029

Process with highest pagefault count: SearchIndexer.exe (PID: 3036)

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Note: all execution times are calculated based on a fixed CPU clock speed of 3258 MHz. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

I done testing with Xperf to.

All pointing at USBPORT.SYS & ATAPORT.SYS

Updated BIOS and Chipset drivers.

Spec.

Motherboard: Crosshair IV Formula

Processor: AMD Phenom X6

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5850

Unplugging the drives seem to have solved the issues. Thanks Andre

ok, so the USB drive was the cause for the USBport issue. Nice to hear that it is fixed now.

So I thought the issue was fixed, but apparently not. I ran through the steps again and know that I understand a little bit more, was able to do a bit more searching and found out that my ntoskrnl.exe looks to be the source of my high CPU

can you update the etl file?

Yea, but every time I got to insert the symbol path you list then in the first post then go the summary table, it never does the download. Do I have the Performance tool kit installed correctly?