UniExtract 1.6.1 in development - info requested

1 Extraction in an existing folder (the repeated extraction, the first extraction occurs without errors).

e1.png

Click "OK"

e2.png

Click "OK"

e3.png

The text in last screenshot: "Specified the file does not exist. To open as a new file?"

Note: EmEditor - the text editor by default in my system.

ee1.png

ee2.png

Extraction with acknowledgement became less convenient, many additional operations:

- To shift window UE, to see entry line in a console window

- To click on a console window, to return it focus

- To be switched Rus-> Eng the keyboard

- To press "A"

- To press "Enter"

:wacko::no:

The text in last screenshot: "Specified the file does not exist. To open as a new file?"

Weird. I tried downloading adblockpro.exe, but I can't replicate the problem. Repeated extractions exit successfully. Regardless, though, there will be cases where this fails; as I mentioned in the changelog, detection isn't perfect due to a number of factors.

As for the "file does not exist" problem, I can't think of what may cause that. The file should always be there. Even for formats that I can't log (including 7-Zip now) it should at least contain a line stating something like "Extraction of 7-Zip archives cannot be logged." Can you do me a favor? Repeat the test that failed, then manually check to see if the debug file exists. Maybe it's an issue with the path (are you using an environmental variable in the debug location?), or maybe your editor isn't liking the way it's being called.

Edit: The debug file is launched with a ShellExecute command, which should open it in whatever edit Windows opens .txt files in by default. If the debug file does exist, try pasting the full path of it into the run box (just the file path, no editor command) and verify that Windows opens it properly in your editor.

Extraction with acknowledgement became less convenient, many additional operations:

I agree that this can be less convenient, but it's safer and more accurate. This is actually how I intended extractions with 7-Zip to function all along, the previous behavior was implemented because of this bug in 7-Zip. Since I couldn't log, I told 7-zip to force skipping existing files. After giving that decision a lot of additional thought, plus with the need to better handle overwrite detection, for the release I decided that it's more important to have full feedback and overwrite prompts for 7-Zip than debug logging. Once Igor fixes the issue in 7-Zip I'm going to add logging again, but the user prompt behavior will stay.

It's a feature, not a bug, although it may annoy some people.

Until I get a better system in place of handling i/o, the separate cmd Windows are the best option available. The primary goal for v2.0, whenever that may happen, is a revamped UI that integrates cmd output and prompts into the main UniExtract window. At that point the inconvenience factor will drop significantly, but until then the cmd windows are here to stay.

Edited by nitro322

Can you do me a favor? Repeat the test that failed, then manually check to see if the debug file exists. Maybe it's an issue with the path (are you using an environmental variable in the debug location?), or maybe your editor isn't liking the way it's being called.

After a window 2 I see in a folder %TMP% 2 files of the identical size:

c:\DOCUME~1\gora\LOCALS~1\Temp\uniextract_temp.txt
c:\DOCUME~1\gora\LOCALS~1\Temp\uniextract.txt

err1.png

But uniextract.txt I cannot look at a file, the system writes "There is no access or the file is already used"! The file uniextract_temp.txt normally opens and contains log

After pressing "ÎÊ" in this window 2 file uniextract.txt disappears also its editor simply does not find. In version 1.6 of such problems is not present, log file opens normally.

1.6.1 is done. Download links and final changelog for the release version is available in the announcement thread. Thanks to everyone that provided feedback.

After a window 2 I see in a folder %TMP% 2 files of the identical size:

<SNIP>

In version 1.6 of such problems is not present, log file opens normally.

gora, I'm afraid I still can't replicate this, or even offer an explanation as to why it happens. You should never see that second _temp log; it only gets written very briefly in the event of a failed extraction, then gets moved back to the main debug file. This should happen pretty much instantly, and it happens before the Extraction Failed prompt is even displayed. That it doesn't happen with 1.6 is even weirder, because I didn't change anything at all in that part of the script.

Maybe I'm having trouble replicating your problem because I changed something between beta2 and the final version. I did make a few more tweaks, but nothing in particular that I can think of that might cause this. Go ahead and try the final version and let me know if you see any difference at all. If you do still have the problem, please provide the contents of your UniExtract.ini file (so I can try to match your environment as much as possible) and let me know what specific file you're trying to extract (direct download link would be a big help).

Everyone else - are you experiencing the same behavior gora reported? Please let me know.

The bug remained:

English

en.png

Russian

ru.png

After little change:

splashtexton($title, t('TERM_TESTING') & ' InstallExplorer ' & t('TERM_INSTALLER'), 350, 50, -1, $height, 16)

ru1.png

Edit

inst1.PNG

inst2.PNG

1 the file name was not located

2,4 it is not translated

3 it is too low checkbox

Edited by gora

I have made an silent installer in english, if there should be any that wanna use it.

I must admit i love nitros tool. I use it almost everyday.

Here's a online virus check its clean..

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/239b50503560d91f8fffd6ebf84a206c34fce4e247438d8103af3a295a15e72a-1274111079

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire.com/?zxjmwjzxd0x

• 2 weeks later...
The bug remained:

<SNIP>

After little change:

splashtexton($title, t('TERM_TESTING') & ' InstallExplorer ' & t('TERM_INSTALLER'), 350, 50, -1, $height, 16)

ru1.png

Noted.

1 the file name was not located

2,4 it is not translated

3 it is too low checkbox

Can you clarify point 1? You say the file name is not located, but I don't know what file you're referring to. From the image it looks like the text is too wide for the screen, which would be more difficult to fix in Inno Setup than UniExtract itself.

2,4 - noted

3 - this is a known problem. Unfortunately, there's no easy fix (best I can tell) as it'll require completely rewriting that custom Inno Setup options page. I'm going to try to get that fixed for the next release.

Is not extract:

adblockpro.exe, ccsetup227.exe, install_flash_player_ax.exe, IEPro2.4.9.exe

adblockpro.exe seems to work for me, but it suffers from the problem described here, where Install Explorer isn't being used instead of 7-zip to extract it.

others - same problem, but Install Explorer is failing, and it's not falling back to 7-zip like it should. Definitely needs to be fixed.

Can you clarify point 1? You say the file name is not located, but I don't know what file you're referring to.

OK

This line will not go mad completely in a window:

PREFS_LABEL2 = "Ýòè îïöèè ìîãóò áûòü èçìåíåíû ïîñëå èíñòàëëÿöèè ïóò¸ì ïðàâêè ôàéëà UniExtract.ini."

File name (UniExtract.ini) is cut off.

• 2 weeks later...

This line will not go mad completely in a window:

PREFS_LABEL2 = "Ýòè îïöèè ìîãóò áûòü èçìåíåíû ïîñëå èíñòàëëÿöèè ïóò¸ì ïðàâêè ôàéëà UniExtract.ini."

File name (UniExtract.ini) is cut off.

Cool, thanks. That's what I was thinking based on the screenshot, but I wanted to verify I wasn't missing anything else.

• 2 weeks later...