Windows 7 trial period extension

coucou

Hello,

I'm runing WinXP on my "real" machine and Windows 7 on a VMWrae machine (virtual). In fact, while preparing an unattend Widows 7 DVD, I'm using the VMWrae machine to test everything for windows 7.

I did NOT activated the Windows 7 on my VMWrae machine of course, keeping the key for the final installation on the "real" machine. Right now, i realized that the windows 7 trial period on the VMWrae machine will expire in 3 days.

Is there anyhow to extend that trial period legally.

I'll appreciate any help

Regards

The period is actually 30 days, but it will only ever show you 3 days at the most on the Properties page. If it ever says 0 days (say on day 4) and you reboot your system, it will say 3 days again.

Same here :}

Hello!

I noticed that when I use the default key inside "Autounattend.xml" (see inside: "sources\product.ini") I've 30 days before to activate my Windows 7 copy.

And if I use the original key I've only 3 days to activate Windows 7.

Does anybody have an idea about this difference?

Btw I've made an French guide: Building an customized Windows 7 DVD activated

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

Hello myselfidem,

I used the default key inside "Autounattend.xml" at the installation and I got 30 days trial. After 27 days I used the command "C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs /rearm" then i got only 3 days trial.

It looks like, it store somewhere else the original or default key! This why the second time you get only 3 days trial.

Regards

Edited by coucou

Hello coucou!

It's not my question!

It's about the first installation with my French Windows 7 OEM.

Using default key gives 30 days, and using original key gives 3 days, why?

I haven't use : cscript.exe "C:\Windows\System32\slmgr.vbs" /rearm

It's seems that Microsoft make like this for Windows 7 OEM versions!

I've made some search but it's always asking about 30 days!

Windows Product Activation (French)

Windows Product Activation (English)

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

Hello!

I've found the reason!

Using unattended method for Windows 7:

if I use the new file "tokens.dat" activated online inside the folder "SCRIPTS"...I've only 3 days to activate my Windows 7 copy, that means the virtual machine can't do really take into consideration that the activation is done!

If I don't use the new "tokens.dat" file activated, I've 30 days with the original key or with the default key!

Regards

Edited by myselfidem

• 1 month later...

Hi...you can use the following process to extend that trial period legally...

•Type cmd into the Start Menu Search

• Right click the cmd icon and choose “Run as Administrator”

•Type slmgr.vbs -rearm then press Enter

•You will then be asked to reboot. After that, right click Computer, then select Properties. You’ll see that the counter has been reset to 30 days.

This only works 3 times and the counter never goes past 30 days, so make sure to wait until you have 1-3 days left before using it

• 2 weeks later...
you can use the following process to extend that trial period legally...

Is that really legal ? The licence agreement says:

4. MANDATORY ACTIVATION.

you have the right to use the version of the software installed during the installation process up to the time permitted for activation.

There is not written a specific time (30 days ? 60 days ? 90 days ? 120 days ?)

So it should be legal. BUT:

This only works 3 times
BUT: The "3 time counter" is stored in the registry. When you reset this counter (= delete the registry keys) you can extend that activation period again 3 times with 30 days - again and again. Also legal ?

The documented period is 3 re-arms. Even if you whack the registry, the software out of the box allows you 3 re-arms, and working around it would be in violation of the licensing agreement (no matter how easy it may be to do). Note that if you re-arm an image more than 3 times, Microsoft doesn't support that image anymore, either.

Also note it's not a "trial period" either; Microsoft does provide real trial versions of it's client software (for example, Windows 7 Enterprise) that are usually 90 day trials that include a product key with the installation of the software (thus no need for using or activating your own). The -rearm is for delaying activation (also known as the grace period) for reasons that would include being unable to access an activation server. It's not really meant to allow you to "try before you buy" a full version of Windows, even though that's what people seem to think it is. If you're going to "try" Windows, you should download a real trial version. If you're going to install and use Windows, you should install and activate it within the 120 day window of -rearm's available to you out of the box.

The documented period is 3 re-arms.
Where is it documented ? I don't find any link to a Microsoft internet site where it is documented. I only found one link to a Microsoft internet site where it is documented - for Vista.
Note that if you re-arm an image more than 3 times, Microsoft doesn't support that image anymore, either.
But read this link exact:

"This error may occur ... when you try to run the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) ... and you use the /generalize option"

And I think sysprep is only used by IT professionals.

And does this mean you can run rearm more then 3 times ?

If you're going to "try" Windows, you should download a real trial version.

Microsoft does provide real trial versions of it's client software (for example, Windows 7 Enterprise)

But this is not a free trial version for everyone. It's a trial version only for IT professionals. You can not download Enterprise version if you don't confirm that you are a IT professional.

The documented period is 3 re-arms.
Where is it documented ? I don't find any link to a Microsoft internet site where it is documented. I only found one link to a Microsoft internet site where it is documented - for Vista.
It's documented quite clearly in the activation documentation.
...you may opt to use the Rearm process to extend the initial grace period up to three times before a system must be reactivated or rebuilt.
Note that if you re-arm an image more than 3 times, Microsoft doesn't support that image anymore, either.
But read this link exact:

"This error may occur ... when you try to run the System Preparation Tool (Sysprep) ... and you use the /generalize option"

And I think sysprep is only used by IT professionals.

And does this mean you can run rearm more then 3 times ?

If you read the article and the slmgr.vbs documentation, you'll note that slmgr -rearm is the same as sysprep /generalize.

If you're going to "try" Windows, you should download a real trial version.

Microsoft does provide real trial versions of it's client software (for example, Windows 7 Enterprise)

But this is not a free trial version for everyone. It's a trial version only for IT professionals. You can not download Enterprise version if you don't confirm that you are a IT professional.
Correct. Microsoft provides the betas and RCs to everyone, but full versions require you to actually be an IT pro, mostly because the bulk of home users buy Windows from their OEM with a new machine, not from a store. If you want access to trial versions of an entire Windows OS, you must be either an IT professional (or say you are), an MSDN or Technet subscriber, or an OEM partner with access to the Action Pack.

Given you're using slmgr.vbs, you are already far and away from a typical home user, and as such you are expected to read the documentation - especially documentation about activation and slmgr.vbs, as well as be an IT professional (or an aspiring one) to have gotten this deep into the OS' innards. There's an expectation from Microsoft that if you're tinkering with activation scripts, you're probably not a home user using an OEM copy of Windows, given that those are SLiC pre-activated.