aviv00

Hey

ver 1.0

Intro

So u buyed new ssd 40-60giga

installed on ur pc and install ur fav' OS Windows 7

and ... 10-15giga are gone cos the OS

few apps like vs2010 and 1/2 games is that all ur SSD is full

you find ur self think that u should buying a bigger one.

But here another thinking around

its a bit thinking out of the box but give it a chance

I wanted to put second OS on my laptop but its just slow on my hdd 5400rpm

so i think maybe i could put pagefile.sys on the ssd

and yes its help the system is more responsive

Uses - so what we could use to it

1. as u know 40giga ssd are not enuf in our days ssd still pricy

windows 7 is just around 10-15GiGs or even more while the time winsxs growing without any limit

so if u dont have time to lite ur os or just need really Stable OS without any changes

u could use this

put ur os on slow hdd and the pagefile on ssd

and put ur vs2010 or any app u wanna use on the SSD and enjoy

less boottime then average and full speed with ur programs that anyways u use the most

and if u really wanna less boot time use hibernation

2. if u think buying the hybrid HDD with 4giga flash in it[seagate XT]

i think this solution will suit u the boottime is about the same and u get more app production with the ssd

3. second OS ofc :)

overview the concept

So most of windows files are not need for current using

like videos drivers winsxs and much else

when u install visual studio u feel the change between SSD and HDD

u save much more time with SSD

in our daily use of the OS we dont feel big gap between SSD and HDD

So with with windows on HDD and pagefile.sys will be on SSD we could gain same improve and save 10-15Gigs or even more

for other stuff we really need like apps or games we love to play a lot [aka WOW]

Hope it help

Ver1.5 soon

soon gonna test another thing around

10% of the install size will install on the ssd and the rest will install on hdd wondering how it will change the boottime and respond time

newbitmapimageji.jpg

Edited by aviv00

I might sound like an a**hole, but seriously dude, can you use capital letter at the begining of a sentence and punctuation in general? It might just be me, but I simply cannot read such posts. To be honest I don't even try after seeing more than one line of this.

I think he's asking whether it would be beneficial to install Win 7 on a dedicated SSD OS partition. Makes sense to me. You can get a 32GB SSD pretty cheap.

However, I haven't see blazing speed increases when replacing platter HDs with SSDs. Faster, yes, but not what the numbers would indicate. Certainly not twice as fast.

I think he's asking whether it would be beneficial to install Win 7 on a dedicated SSD OS partition. Makes sense to me. You can get a 32GB SSD pretty cheap.

However, I haven't see blazing speed increases when replacing platter HDs with SSDs. Faster, yes, but not what the numbers would indicate. Certainly not twice as fast.

its not question is just advise

so i add picture and add overview and same fixs to make it more understandable sorry

Actually, NO.

He is suggesting to instal 7 on a "conventional" hard disk, BUT put the pagefile (and the "most relevant" apps) on a (fastish) SSD.

I fear this will soon turn in the usual Pagefile vs. NO pagefile, Pagfile fixed Size vs. Pagefile System Managed, FAT32 vs. NTFS, Godzilla vs. King Kong flame war. :ph34r:

jaclaz

You could do this, sure - please note Microsoft recommends in fact that you put the paging file on the SSD because in general it uses small reads (4:1 or more ratio of reads to writes to pagefile.sys on a typical machine) and large sequential writes - precisely what an SSD was designed for. Read for yourself:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that

• Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
  • Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
  • Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.

In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.