Win98 in the news

MDGx

Interesting article ... and a good reply !!! ..... maybe some people who still have a 9x machine (98SE) gathering dust somewhere will be tempted to fire it up once again and relive some of the "good old days".

Edited by duffy98

Many of those comments on Win98 reveal ignorance, false prejudice and the general misconcept that newer means faster & better.

MDGx at least told those guys the truth but that won't change their opinion.

I am especially careful not to bring such quick judgement since I got to know people who still use their Amigas for web browsing on daily basis :thumbup.

Somehow their computers never gets infested with trojans and spyware... Strange, really strange.

Still, it is a fact that Win98 is still here after 12 years. XP may also live that long (even after its official EOL) but Windows Phone 7...? Who will even remember it in 12 yrs? But then again, it is an OS for devices that age 3 times as fast as PCs...

Guest wsxedcrfv

I wonder how many win-98 systems are not captured by these tracking stats because they have a HOSTS file that blocks click-tracking and ad-serving.

When I looked at these usage stats a few years ago, it always seemed to me that between the years 2003 to 2006, that win-98 use was always about 1/2 to 1/3 that of win-2k. Win-2k use was pegged at close to 3% in the summer of 2008, and win-98 usage fell below 1% as early as April 2008 or late as Nov 2008 (depending on who's numbers you trust). A big deal was made (by some) when Linux usage had tied with Win-98 at 1.34%, which seemed to happen in September 2006.

Here's one resource: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Which seems to indicate that win-98 really dropped off the map during 2008. It would seem that current win-98 usage at the end of 2010 is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.05%.

Or to look at this another way, for every 2000 devices that was surfing the web in December 2010 - one of them was running windows 98.

I was wondering about that myself ... also with machines using a "user agent". I use Proxomitron and the Sidki filters. He has it fixed to tell web sites that the OS is XP SP3 ... I have thought about letting 98SE show up as my OS but then I will be forever running into messages about using an outdated browser. Several years ago I remember reading that Windows 98SE was still in use through out much of the world, outside of the US. I'm sure those stats must have changed by now to showing XP being used in greater numbers these days around the world.

Edited by duffy98

• 3 weeks later...

Windows Phone 7...............Next it will be called

Final Windows Fantasy Phone VII :thumbup

Seriously, my 98 is far more stabler, with less crap on any install.

This is just saying that blah blah blah phone users outscore etc

operating system.

I say we could take back our respect as computer quacks and destroy all celluar phone nonsense, and return to led digital number display phones with 6.95 per minute for wireless and

10 cents per minute for regular. I miss those 10 cents per minutes days :angel

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I couldn't reply to that forum thread. Maybe it's for the best, as such closed-minded people aren't likely to listen. Revisionism at its finest.

wsxedcrfv, the page you linked lists stats for that site only. It is not a reference for web browser statistics for the entire web.