vlite'd Vista Basic worked in VM but not on real computer

GHR1275

I am trying to help out a friend who has vista home basic. Her computer was purchased from a local small computer store about 4 years ago and is a 'house brand' not major mfg. It suffers from *Vista-itis* being it was originally loaded with the first version of Vista OEM without SP1. She had the option of Vista or XP downgrade at no extra charge to install, but opted for Vista unfortunatly.

I have since installed SP1 on it for her. It's become slow over the last few months due to general clutter and a failed IE9-beta install. The IE9 was bundled with Yahoo messenger and installed without her knowledge or permission. I have managed to restore the system using system restore, but it's still not the same so I want to wipe and reinstall. She cannot afford to upgrade to Win7 right now(no job, bills, etc) or I'd do that in a heartbeat. So I've taken her until now unused CDs and tried to use vLite to make a usable installation DVD. I tried that DVD in VirtualBox and it worked just fine. Installed perfectly as Vista can, etc ie. no issues. Even without guest additions it works..

The image mounted also works identically.

I put the DVD into a real computer and tried to install it and it fails with a missing install.wim error. Since I didn't make any changes except to combine the CDs with vlite I'm perplexed as to what I'm doing wrong. Believe it or not this is my first installation of Vista. I avoided upgrading when it came out so I don't have near the experience with it as

I do with XP. SO combine that with vista issues and this is much harder than XP!

So can someone help me fnd out what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Henry