USB 3.0 and W2k

Before I descripted on my blog.

When I replased XP's usbd.sys to Windows 2000 one, same error occured on Windows XP.

So I decieded the error cause of the difference of embeddedding among Windows 2000 and XP

And I gave up NEC USB 3.0.

But I am shipped other chipset USB 3.0 board.(it will com tomorrow) and I will try it.

I know that TI chipset driver is similars ASMedia chipset(and they are different from NEC's).

I do have the proper hardware, but I initially decided to test it in my spare machine, which has only Win XP and Slackware, ATM. Now I need to move it to my main machine, which also has Win 98SE, precisely to start work on 9x/ME, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find time to do it yet. However, from my initial installation on XP SP3, in which all versions of the NEC/RENESAS drivers work OK, I can confirm tomasz86 is right, and the only needed files are those he listed, although nusb3drv.cat isn't fundamental, and is better left out the moment we start modding/patching the drivers, if it comes to that.

I also take this opportunity to thank I41Mar for finding the 1.0.1.0 drivers, which had eluded my searches for some time already (I'm nowere near jaclaz's league, when it comes to finding things, but this was not an easy search). :thumbup

The general layout of the NEC drivers remains the same from 1.0.1.0 up to 2.1.32.0, but their internal complexity has grown with time. The layout follows the one adopted for USB 2.0 in Win2k, whith a primary HUB driver and a protocol driver (for USB 2.0 it was EHCI, for USB 3.0 it's xHCI). For Win 2k, the problem seems to be just with nusb3hub.sys, from what I could understand from Blackwingcat's blog, but that's to be expected, since the hub is always the lowest-level driver. But I do have hope that with some patching it'll be possible to get it working. I do think it's worthwhile to pursue this objective, because USB 3.0 really is much faster than USB 2.0, bringing external devices to transfer rates similar to IDE/SATA.

By the way, does anyone know how to investigate what the problem with the driver is? I'd like to know why it doesn't start.

I don't know how to test this, I had the help of someone far more knowledgeable about such things than myself, :angel but I'll throw in a few bits of information that I learned during my search for a USB2 stack that could be used with Windows 95 OSR2. (Sadly no success as yet, but it may not be "impossible.")

There may be differences in the way that supposedly identical WDM driver functions behave between different versions of Windows. Even a function that has the same name and is present in both Windows versions may behave differently or expect different conditions on each version.

You all seem to be lucky in the fact that USB3 drivers became more complex as time went on. Some of the earlier USB2 stacks I found and examined seemed to be more complex than the final release versions. (Or at least they were missing more WDM functions on Win9x than the later ones...)

• 1 month later...

I can confirm Intel usb 3.0 ports work as usb 2.0 ports and are perfectly recognized on windows XP x86. Intel created a "null driver" (given with inf update utility):

; ****************************************************************************
; ** Filename: PantUSB3.INF
; ** Abstract: Null driver for Intel(R) USB 3.0 devices
; ** Last Update: December 06, 2011 (Version 9.3.0 Build 1018)

And intel usb 3 drivers need WDFLDR.SYS (Kernel Mode Driver Framework LOADER) which doesn't exist on XP and i think it only exists on windows 7.

The good news is that VIA chipset included on GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H works perfectly fine on windows XP and do provide read/write USB 3.0 Speeds.

So VIA chipsets might perhaps be ported to windows 2K.

• 5 months later...

I can confirm Intel usb 3.0 ports work as usb 2.0 ports and are perfectly recognized on windows XP x86. Intel created a "null driver" (given with inf update utility):

And intel usb 3 drivers need WDFLDR.SYS (Kernel Mode Driver Framework LOADER) which doesn't exist on XP and i think it only exists on windows 7.

The good news is that VIA chipset included on GIGABYTE Z77X-D3H works perfectly fine on windows XP and do provide read/write USB 3.0 Speeds.

I've tried running w2k on z77 but couldn't do it. Too bad, the z77x-UD5H is nice hardware.

I think that it is no problem with WDFLDR.SYS, but not handled functions exist in NTOSKRNL

EtwRegister

EtwUnregister

EtwWrite

IoSetDevicePropertyData

PcwAddInstance

PcwCloseInstance

PcwCreateInstance

PcwRegister

PcwUnregister

and Kernel Bcrypt functions are userd.

BCryptCloseAlgorithmProvider

BCryptCreateHash

BCryptDestroyHash

BCryptFinishHash

BCryptGetProperty

BCryptHashData

BCryptOpenAlgorithmProvider

x Intel USB 3.0

o Asmedia/Texas Instruments USB 3.0 :)

△ Renesas USB 3.0 ( It requires kernel core v14)

I've tried running w2k on z77 but couldn't do it. Too bad, the z77x-UD5H is nice hardware.

Edited by blackwingcat

• 2 years later...

I got Renesas uPD720202 USB3.0 working with Driver 3.0.23.0 in W2k Exkernel. After inserting the PCIe Card, ntdetect and ntldr from XP64 must be used for PAE mode on my system, or the system will BSOD "inaccessible boot device". This is not necessary for normal x32 mode.

The driver is OK for storage devices, I tried my usb sticks and also USB3 hard disk, which shows 57mB/s (seq) in Benchmark test.

With webcam, the driver is stable for video input, but usb-audio will BSOD "driver irql less or equal" with lvuvcflt.sys from Logitech LWS 1.1. Did anybody here encounter similar problems?

Renesas USB3.0:

I could install Logitech HD Webcam C615 on exkernel windows 2000 and LWS1.1 (driver taken from LWS2) without any problems. Also USB Audio works (it does not use lvuvcflt.sys). It is stable also with PAE (ntdetect and ntldr from XP64).

Greetings Joe