Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Ah, OK, thanks.

These links don't seem to make the older ones "outdated" in the sense that the idea of MSFT dominating via patent law no longer applies. If anything, the new information confirms the ridiculous situation and shows that things are even worse than before.

Naaah, outdated in the sense that they were old news, the reality (updated) is worse. :ph34r:

Just as I feared. :(

Of course the real cause of this is the US patent office and related Laws, in Europe things appear much better.

Let's hope that some court, anywhere, shows a degree of sanity over this issue. Using the patent system to suppress competition (lower prices, build-on innovation) would seem to make a mockery of the argument that patents exist to make things better.

--JorgeA

:hello: Hi all -- new member here, just wanted to let you all know how happy I am to have found the *one* sane forum with regards to the whole WinH8 mess...I found this site when my blog stats showed some traffic coming from here (thanks for the plug!).

With regards to the rampant "Windows 8 is great" posts everywhere, I am seeing a striking similarity to what eBay does (particularly with regards to their PayPal division)...for those who don't know, they legally hire shills via a third party called Liveworld, which is how they manage to dodge the $11K/message FTC fine.

What I don't understand is, with MicroSux deliberately doing away with the desktop in the near future, i.e. the main work tool of the world, how is any...um...work going to get done? This truly baffles me. Retirement can't come soon enough!

Don't know if this was already shared, check out the reference at the end of this article.

Looking forward to sharing more thoughts/observations/facepalms on this topic!

d

I spent some time tonight looking into whether it's possible to block advertisements in Metro IE10, which as we know "boasts" a limited feature set.

Initial findings are not encouraging:

http://superuser.com/questions/496861/how-can-i-block-ads-for-free-in-ie10-both-modern-ui-and-desktop

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40260341

http://forum.admuncher.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18214&sid=7e686e15543eec1fb4489bd9fa7c8111

This brings up the following question: if (or, more likely, when) Microsoft eliminates the Desktop altogether, it may well become impossible to blot out unwanted ads. Users may need to resort to modifying the Hosts file (assuming that that even remains possible), a tedious and haphazard approach.

Does anybody have insight on this? (I nominate @jaclaz as the most likely to find a definitive answer... ;) )

--JorgeA

EDIT: clarity

Edited by JorgeA

:hello: Hi all -- new member here, just wanted to let you all know how happy I am to have found the *one* sane forum with regards to the whole WinH8 mess...I found this site when my blog stats showed some traffic coming from here (thanks for the plug!).

With regards to the rampant "Windows 8 is great" posts everywhere, I am seeing a striking similarity to what eBay does (particularly with regards to their PayPal division)...for those who don't know, they legally hire shills via a third party called Liveworld, which is how they manage to dodge the $11K/message FTC fine.

What I don't understand is, with MicroSux deliberately doing away with the desktop in the near future, i.e. the main work tool of the world, how is any...um...work going to get done? This truly baffles me. Retirement can't come soon enough!

Don't know if this was already shared, check out the reference at the end of this article.

Looking forward to sharing more thoughts/observations/facepalms on this topic!

d

Welcome to the thread! I'm glad that you found us.

"Deeper Impressions" has indeed become something of a "safe haven" for PC users who aren't thrilled with Windows 8 or with the computing trends that the new OS implies. Feel free to fill us in on topics we've touched on, or to add new angles or data points to the discussion.

That's a good question, how the folks at MS think people will get actual work done when Metro takes over completely and we're stuck with screens lacking in user controls and visual cues, and a population (information) density rivaling that of the Sahara. It's one reason serious Windows users are keen to nip this Metro thing in the bud: we look beyond the tips of our noses, and realize that waiting 'til the Desktop is eliminated will be too late. Therefore we are not impressed by the argument that "you still have the Desktop" -- we realize full well where things are headed.

Very interesting, the tidbit about using "Liveworld" to puff up the apparent degree of support for Windows 8. How'd you discover that? I'm going to predict that some thread participants will be eager to look into it and report on their findings. :yes:

Anyway, I look forward to your contributions!

--JorgeA (the OP :) )

Edited by JorgeA

Very interesting, the tidbit about using "Liveworld" to puff up the apparent degree of support for Windows 8. How'd you discover that? I'm going to predict that some thread participants will be eager to look into it and report on their findings. :yes:

I became a fervent anti-eBay crusader after they began implementing a ton of hostile changes to their selling experience aimed at getting rid of smaller sellers like myself. It didn't take long for me to notice something fishy in their discussion boards (particularly with regards to PayPal). I began posting my suspicions in my blog and got a number of emails from tipsters informing me of the Liveworld connection. It's now well enough known to the point that these shills don't even deny it when accused. This site was a really good source of information, lots of damning screenshots...I even started a forum just to spotlight their stupidity. Now, whether MicroSux uses Liveworld specifically I can't say, but cybershilling is a growing business.

The only thing that puzzles me is how do they recruit children (one would still think they're violating some kind of child employment laws)...

d

North Korean Missile Test Delayed by Windows 8

Sparkles

Like the link to the North Korean missile test.

If they are using Win8 then if the test goes wrong, then I can see problems disabling "Angry Birds" to get at the self destruct

sparkles :), with all due respect, I have rarely seen so much nonsense as in the forum you linked to, this thread particularly:

http://78886.activeboard.com/t7886792/ebay-loves-profits-from-and-supports-crime-worldwide/

So, a lot of crooks use e-bay to re-sell stolen or counterfeited goods, hardly news :unsure:, but this is a mish-mash of every possible article about criminal behaviour where the words "e-bay" or "paypal" are mentioned.

People that formerly worked for e-bay committing crimes like child abuse or homicides? :w00t:

http://78886.activeboard.com/t7886792/ebay-loves-profits-from-and-supports-crime-worldwide/?page=19

What the heck has this to do with whatever evil commercial practices e-bay or paypal or both may do (or do not)?

jaclaz

See how many of the comments who are legit but negative about Windows 8 get a "minus" rating... ah yeah, Ars sure knows where the butter comes from too... http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/microsoft-posts-record-third-quarter-revenue-in-spite-of-flat-windows-numbers/?comments=1

Comment rating is one of the other ways to censor things in people's minds. Some websites even hide the minus rated comments so you have to actively click on it to show it. They most likely brag about how they "don't delete" or "censor" comments.

Allow me to go first:

hah!

sparkles :), with all due respect, I have rarely seen so much nonsense as in the forum you linked to, this thread particularly...

Yeah most of it is just for laughs but on occasion he finds something particularly funny (note the Win8 PayPal link)...the Ecommercebytes site is a good source for eBay news/laughter as well.

Sparkles

Like the link to the North Korean missile test.

If they are using Win8 then if the test goes wrong, then I can see problems disabling "Angry Birds" to get at the self destruct

:D:lol:

--JorgeA

CUPwf71.jpg

future prediction

year 2020 MS OS division doesn't exist

That's a good one! Considering that they're running out of ideas (currently rehashing old concepts by implementing a flat UI with limited tiling in place of infinitely flexible windows), maybe that's the best thing that can happen.

--JorgeA

Well, the Borowitz Report :thumbup is a good source for almost anything, another not so much OT recent one:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/04/facebook-unveils-new-waste-of-time.html

:lol:

And now, in a (swift :unsure:) unexptected move, let's talk of CHEAP 7" tablets (and having LOTS of them):

http://techland.time.com/2013/03/11/invasion-of-the-low-cost-tablets/

Can these 50 to 70 Euro "no name" ones (example, redo on your local e-bay):

http://www.ebay.it/sch/Laptop-Netbook-/177/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_nkw=tablet+android&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

be "good enough" for doing the ONLY things that you can do on a 7" tablet ? (yes working on it is EXCLUDED ab initio :angel )

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Well, the Borowitz Report :thumbup is a good source for almost anything, another not so much OT recent one:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/borowitzreport/2013/04/facebook-unveils-new-waste-of-time.html

Speaking of Fakebook, there are five fb pages with the title "Windows 8 Sucks," the most popular one having ~2,200 likes, along with "Windows 8 Sucks as a Desktop OS" (with 86 likes) and "Windows 8 Sucks Ballz" with 15 likes.

There's also a "Windows 8 sucks sucks" page, the title of which I cannot yet interpret as the page is devoid of any content...