WdmStub

jds

I have five of these in my WDMEX Project already. Five more look pretty trivial to implement.

One requires the other one. So I think if one was to implement, one would have to include all the missing functions

for a specific device. The devices I tested was printers/wireless cards/wifi cards/bluetooth.

I have five of these in my WDMEX Project already. Five more look pretty trivial to implement.

One requires the other one. So I think if one was to implement, one would have to include all the missing functions

for a specific device. The devices I tested was printers/wireless cards/wifi cards/bluetooth.

I created WDMEX to provide a Static VXD rather than the dynamic WDM Driver approach of WDMSTUB. I have added all of the Functions from the various versions of WDMSTUB, and all of the Functions provided by Windows ME. A few stubs have been replaced with actual implementations.

My first target for WDMEX was to support an USB3 Driver Stack. That project stopped when I found structural problems not related to missing functions.

Lately I have been working on adding USB 2 support for Windows 95, but am encountering structural issues there too.

Obviously every function needed by a given device has to be implemented or stubbed, but even my partial WDMEX did get some less demanding Drivers to work. It is a work in progress.

May I suggest the Bluetooth stack as a worthy target? :angel

There's a little more info on it here.

I already have many of the missing NT Functions. The 3 remaining NT Functions are not too hard to implement. The missing USB and TDI Functions, I'm not so sure about.

There are some Bluetooth devices that support Windows 98. They may have useable Drivers.

There are some Bluetooth devices that support Windows 98. They may have useable Drivers.

I may have found something useful, by searching WIDCOMM drivers, prompted by your suggestion. Here are some potential candidates to test. The XP WIDCOMM Bluetooth Stack can be made to accept almost any Bluetooth Radio by editing the .inf, in the same way as we do with NUSB on 9x/ME, so perhaps one or more of those 98 WIDCOMM drivers can be turned into a general solution...

There definitely is a Bluetooth driver that works in 9x. I had one driver package from a BT dongle installation mini-CD, then I found (maybe mentioned here in these forums?) two other rather huge packages (35MB and 62MB, respectively) that were distributed by D-Link and Emtec. All of these packages contain an inf with a long list of vendor and product IDs and software produced by Widcomm.

But there's a catch: while the driver (namely btcusb.sys - do not mistake with btwusb.sys which does not work in 9x!) does work in 9x, the software - depending on version and package it's been installed from - may throw an "Evaluation mode" notice and limit transfer to 5MB!!! I wouldn't risk being banned by posting my blunt opinion about this practice but you get the idea.

Thing is, the driver is useless without a working application for it, so this should be our main concern: finding a proper application that'd work with the respective driver and all supported devices. All of those packages bundle the BlueSoleil application by IVT, but not all versions work in 9x. I did find one that does, with the above-mentioned limitation.

There's more to dig in related to this, maybe parts of the packages can be put together for a more complete set of options.

On another note, I just stumbled into another interesting matter: Windows Easy Transfer. It's (among other functions) a driver for a special cable that allows USB-to-USB direct transfer between computers. The MS driver ony works with XP but maybe it can be made to work in 9x. The package is rather weird, many .man files (containing xml-formatted manifests). I found a link to it here.

• 6 months later...

RU

The idea was good ...

It's a pity there are no results ...

BT

IVT BlueSoleil 1.6 runs under win98

in BTCUSB98 list of supported devices

in the README how to add new devices

Only USB 1.1 devices work for me, though.

RU

Идея была хорошая...

Жаль нет никаких результатов...

BT

IVT BlueSoleil 1.6 работает под win98

в BTCUSB98 список поддерживаемых устройств

в README как добавить новые устройства

у меня работают только устройства с USB 1.1

BTCUSB98.INF

Readme.txt

The translation is not perfectly accurate. The last line says actually more like "Only USB 1.1 devices work for me"

Though, I'm not native speaker and not sure if "work for" here is appropriate.

Correction applied.

Thanks for the correction, M()zart, you do rock! :thumbup

In fact, most Bluetooth devices actually are USB 1.x (with USB 1.1 being about 10x faster than Bluetooth 2.0).

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to get Linksys wmp54gx driver(it's MIMO) to load in 98se. It's made for 2000/XP but the inf has some references for 98. It goes through the install process and will give it an interupt and memory but in the driver details nothing is listed. I've modified the inf and now it appears to load the sys file, 802, and various .386 files but get the yellow flag- say's unable to load device driver. I've noticed in xp the only thing listed in driver details is the sys and a .bin file. I don't know anything about bin files. Linksys has used different sys files for 98 and 2000 in the past. Guess I need to find out what's in the .bin file

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one!

Does anyone know if kernel mode drivers can run on W98? (I tend to associate these with XP and higher.)

I've been trying to get Linksys wmp54gx driver(it's MIMO) to load in 98se. It's made for 2000/XP but the inf has some references for 98. It goes through the install process and will give it an interupt and memory but in the driver details nothing is listed. I've modified the inf and now it appears to load the sys file, 802, and various .386 files but get the yellow flag- say's unable to load device driver. I've noticed in xp the only thing listed in driver details is the sys and a .bin file. I don't know anything about bin files. Linksys has used different sys files for 98 and 2000 in the past. Guess I need to find out what's in the .bin file

This seems a Ralink device. What are the hardware IDs for your card? There may be compatible drivers by Ralink.

Joe.

Nice one!

Does anyone know if kernel mode drivers can run on W98? (I tend to associate these with XP and higher.)

This seems a Ralink device. What are the hardware IDs for your card? There may be compatible drivers by Ralink.

Joe.

It's Airgo. There's only one driver version-has 2 sys files, one for 2000 and xp i guess and one bin file. I have used IDA pro 5.0 to look at them but I'm a beginner

%Airgo.DeviceDesc%=Airgo.ndi, PCI\VEN_17CB&DEV_0001&SUBSYS_00451737

Nice one!

Joe.

It's Airgo. There's only one driver version-has 2 sys files, one for 2000 and xp i guess and one bin file. I have used IDA pro 5.0 to look at them but I'm a beginner

%Airgo.DeviceDesc%=Airgo.ndi, PCI\VEN_17CB&DEV_0001&SUBSYS_00451737

Yeah, now Qualcomm, not sure why I thought Ralink. Anyway, the "WMP54GX-EU_DRUT.zip" INF looks to be split between W5.0- and W5.1+, so it might work, particularly if WdmStub can help. Have you tried WdmCheck?

Joe.