Hidden retail disc picture?

UltimateSilence

I can't confirm it, but why be concerned? Why are you "praying that it's just a digitally altered photo"? Especially since it's essentially just part of the label. I think it's clever, assuming it's true, that they snuck it by the QA, marketing, and legal people.

Cheers and Regards

I found something that I would like to share... It states that there is a hidden picture in the retail disc.

Can someone here validate this for me? I'm praying that it's just a digitally altered photo.

Not really-really a mistery like Lochness ;):

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/archive/b/windowsvista/archive/2007/06/13/the-devil-is-in-the-details.aspx

An astute Windows user was intrigued by the holographic image on the face of the Windows Vista Business DVD and decided to take a much closer look, discovering in the margin a microscopic photograph of three men. Just who they could be? The user posted a blog entry mentioning the discovery, which was noticed by a few others in the community and has prompted a number of people to contact us in Windows to find out just exactly what is going on.

The real story is interesting, but conspiracy theorists will be disappointed to learn that it is not the result of a deliberate attempt to deceive. The photo displays members of the team who worked on the Windows Vista DVD hologram design. Microsoft’s Anti-Piracy Team designed a counterfeit-resistant digital "watermark" for the non-encoded surface of Windows Vista DVDs.

The link to the original post of the Spanish guy who found the photo is in the above blog:

http://inicia.es/de/kwisatz/

jaclaz

I can't confirm it, but why be concerned? Why are you "praying that it's just a digitally altered photo"? Especially since it's essentially just part of the label. I think it's clever, assuming it's true, that they snuck it by the QA, marketing, and legal people.

Cheers and Regards

I just don't like it. :ph34r:

I found something that I would like to share... It states that there is a hidden picture in the retail disc.

Can someone here validate this for me? I'm praying that it's just a digitally altered photo.

Not really-really a mistery like Lochness ;):

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/archive/b/windowsvista/archive/2007/06/13/the-devil-is-in-the-details.aspx

jaclaz

Thanks, Jaclaz! :lol:

I had hoped it was only on the Business disc...

I wonder if the Windows 7 disc has a photo, too? :ph34r:

Edited by UltimateSilence

Ummmm if this freaks you out DO NOT look too closely at the chips and boards in your pc!

I've seen plenty of pics of suck "easter eggs" or whatever you want to call them in ICs on the web but I've never seen one first-hand never having worked at a chip fab, but I see it all the time on PCBs, it's *extremely* common in the software world (hidden features or games inside apps, especially related around their about screens), I've seen various lab hardware that had such things as well (like an oscilloscope that played tetris), sometimes in executables you can find some funny strings with a hex editor (like Adobe's transient witticisms), some web apps like to include funny lines in the HTTP headers (namely X-Powered-By), lots of movie DVDs have easter eggs in the menus (nevermind Pixar who likes to re-use and hide characters from other movies in places where you might notice if you pay attention), hidden tracks on audio CDs, cheat codes in games, features that are disabled in the firmware of many devices but that can be "tweaked", hidden menus in all kinds of stuff that appear with the right keypresses, etc. And nevermind that this thing on your disc is just an anti-counterfeiting mark, something there is LOADS of on every single banknote of pretty much any country.

This stuff is all over the place, and that's not going away anytime soon, whether you like it or not.

This is a hidden comment!!!