Noobie slipstreaming questions. orz

Forge

Ok sweet, thanks Tomasz. Any ideas on the matter of a qualifying disc or do I just have to cross my fingers & hope I'm not asked for one?

You can install Virtualbox and test ("boot" a virtual machine) your ISO with it, it will behave as a normal install (except for the drivers) and ask for previous version if needed. As for testing the Sata drivers, you can, of course, boot the cd before zeroing, to check if it sees your HDD.

Ok thanks, that's what I was going to do next. Tomasz hooked me up with the SATA drivers so I should hopefully have everything I need to get started now.

Thanks for all the assistance, I'll let you guys know how it goes. :thumbup

:no: Bad news guys and gals, I finally finalised and burnt my first slipstreamed XP disc (well the iso at least) but it's not working. I've searched through the forums but can't find an answer.

I tried installing my iso in Virtualbox but it gets stuck in a loop. It seems to have recognised my HD ok (thanks Tomasz for showing me the right drivers to use!) I was able to format and partition the drive fine, then it asks me choose a partition to install XP on, I choose the one I prepared, it copies the files to the Windows installation folder then restarts and asks me to choose a partition to install Windows on again and follows the same procedure.

I don't know if it matters but this is actually the second iso I made. The first one wouldn't go past the "Starting Windows" screen so I loaded up the preset I saved and changed the computer type from "ACPI multi processor" to "automatic" and burnt another iso which seemed to work better until this loop. Also when I reload either of the sessions in Nlight there's an amber dot next to "unattended setup" where the rest are green I don't know if that matters either.

Edit: Unattended setup is amber because I forgot to set options on all the tabs /facepalm.

Attached is my last session file, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

PS. If you wouldn't mind having a squiz at the drivers I've intergrated and letting me know if I included all the ones I need to for my Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 motherbord I'd appreciate it to.

Edited by Forge

You can only see if the drivers are ok on a REAL hardware install, the fact it sees your HDD in virtual box is irrelevant.

If you set CD as 1st boot device and removed the "press any key" message via nLite, you will always boot from cd and be caught in the loop you describe.

You now need to press F12 at start and choose HDD as temporary boot device to see if install goes on, but it is beter to set cd to boot after HDD in your virtual machine setup.

+Your ini file is not attached.

Bah such a simple fix, thanks Ponch, I feel stupid for not knowing it.

I successfully slipstreamed and tested my first CD -yay!- and everything looks good. I'm still a little nervous -but excited- so if you don't mind me taking up yet a little more of your time with my noob questions I'd like to confirm a few things before I wipe my HD.

• I know a VM uses it's own drivers so you can't test out the ones included in an UI but I checked the device manager on my VM and there were unknown devices (monitor, LAN and some others) Is it normal for a VM to show such unknown devices or did I screw up?
  • During set-up it still asks me to confirm my PC's name, is that because I should've chosen a different option in unattended? I left it on the default "hide pages" because with this being my first UI i didn't want to chance changing it, it's not a big problem just a little annoying.
  • Does the "classic start-up" option remove the select user screen at start-up allowing Windows to boot straight into the system without having to choose a user first? If not is there some other way for me to set that up with Nlite?
  • Is there any merit in removing components beyond simply making the install disc smaller and using less HD space? (e.g. any performance gains?)
  • The SATA controller Tomaz gave me (which I'm sure was the right one based on the info I gave him but I'm not sure if I left the following info out and if it's important enough to change anything) lists these
    controllers:

AHCI Controllers:

- Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® EP80579 SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller

- Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller

When I look at my device manager though this is what my PC is currently set to:

Devicemgr.jpg

• Do I have the right controllers ready to use in my new install, if I put those files just as Tomasz packaged them in his link on a flash drive could I use them for a F6 install and will I need to? I know Tomasz said Nlite will install them and I'm not doubting him I'd just like to confirm I understood him correctly, that I have it right in my own mind and that I'm fully ready before I start the new install, I don't want to get stuck with an unreadable drive!
  • Does it seem that I have all the correct drivers that I should need?

Attached -hopefully for real this time- is my last session ini. I think I uploaded it but forgot to press the attach button before /facepalm. I'd been reading forums all day trying to sort my own fix out so my brain was a bit syrupy when I posted.

Thanks again for giving me your time and expertise.

LAST SESSION.INI

C:\Documents and Settings\Troy\Desktop\Slipstreamed XP\Addons\OnePiece_Microsoft_Silverlight_v5.0.61118.0_For_Win2K_Post-SP4_UP_v5.0.2_AddOn_ENU_0AAED4E86401C982F7FF6A919ED3B883.7z?

Are you asking what that file is? I got it from OnePiece's Skydrive when I downloaded .NET and some other things. I wasn't sure about that one myself, what I was looking for was a coppy of Silverlight to include in my install disc. I'll take it out and just install Silverlight post OS.

I was just bringing it to your attention because in the filename it says for win2k and you are on XP. Maybe he modded it or something.

I tried installing my iso in Virtualbox but it gets stuck in a loop.

VirtualBox dosn't match real hardware.

Use a old iastor.sys 7.8 for fake VirtualBox hardware.

iastor.sys 7.8 works fine at a real ICH7

Or use IDE mode at VirtualBox.

I don't want to get stuck with an unreadable drive!

As said before, (it seems you miss big chunks of my answers), if your install disk does not see the drive, for that exact reason, it won't make it unreadable because it won't touch it.

-Install might ask you for computer name when you set same "Owner" and "Computer Name" in Unattended maybe this is the case.

-You ticked "Skip OOBE" i Unattended-> that is what causes no prompt for "User"names.

-removing components makers install disk smaller, install time shorter and final install smaller. Only "Services" removal can make your system very slightly faster but then again removal of some services might make your computer slower so better know what you are doing (and better safe than sorry).

@Ponch I'm planning to write 0 my HD before I reintall Windows so it's pine fresh for the new install.

That's why I think if I don't get things right before I begin I'll be left with an unreadable drive and why I'm so concerned with making sure I have everything just so. If I were just reinstalling normally I'd just give it a go and come what may, I usually learn by trial and error anyway lol. I do read carefully what everyone tells me and take it to heart mate so I'm sorry if it seems I'm not. I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to help me out and I wouldn't be so rude as ask a question and then not listen to the answer but I'm reading a lot of info most of it completely new to me, some of which doesn't yet make a lot of sense so I get a bit muddled and need to ask questions -maybe for a second time- to make sure I have it right in my mind so sorry if I'm getting annoying orz.

Thanks Cdob that was one of the first guides I read but because I couldn't find AHCI in my BIOS I disregarded it. Now that Tomasz has informed me SATA is AHCI in my case it makes more sense. When you know what your doing having things reffered to by an alternate term or arranged a little differently is easy to interprate but when you don't it's very confusing.

That guide says to make sure the HD is connected to the intel SATA port but how do I figure out which are the Intel ports and which are the Jmicron? Here's a pic of my MB:

MB.jpg

I'm guessing the Intel one is port 0 and the rest are Jmicron is that right?

Also at the moment for some strange reason my SATA ports are set to IDE channel 2 and 3 and my HD is on channel 3 set as slave while my OD is set to master on channel one. Shouldn't my HD be on channel 1 as master and my OD on channel 2 as master? Should I change this in my BIOS and cabling before I install my Nlite disc? Will simply changing it in BIOS change the channel allocation? I've actually been trying to figure this out so I can update my OD driver (needs to be set as master on channel 2) but every guide, how-to or post I read says I should have 2 IDE ports on my MB and just to switch the cables but I can only see one on my MB.

Here are some pics of my current BIOS settings and if you check my earlier post you can see a pic of my IDE controllers in the control panel which only show 2 channels not 3 like in my BIOS.

22042012164.jpg

22042012165.jpg

I realise this is probably the wrong forum for hardware questions but this is related to what people have so kindly been helping me with so I thought I'd continue to post here. If you think I should still move this question to another forum let me know and I will do so.

As for testing the Sata drivers, you can, of course, boot the cd before zeroing, to check if it sees your HDD.

This looks so obvious to me I'm afraid I'm missing something. :huh: