Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Instead of Windows Defender, you can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Well, I'll tell you. I love that program but I'm a little worried about using it now because I did it a few times on a Windows 2000 machine and after rebooting, I'd get a blue screen saying Invalid License Key or something to that effect. It basically ruined my install. That was probably about a year and a half ago but I haven't tried it since. Can you verify that this works flawlessly and won't ruin my install?

In Post #474 I wrote that I had “Already tried installing BWC’s driver; didn’t work here.”

tomasz86: “I think that I know why the driver may not work. It seems to caused be a bug in UURollup's installer.” (Post #475)

tomasz86: “There's a very serious issue in all versions of UURollup (including v10 and older). The problem is that %windir%\system32\hal.dll isn't updated at all. The installer doesn't replace it and I don't know why (yet).”

“This issue does not affect slipstreaming, only manual installation.” (Post #478)

After I reinstalled the OS using your HFSLIP package (i.e. a slipstream, rather than a manual, installation), I decided to give the BWC HD graphics driver another try, because AnX wrote in Post #473 that it supports HD 3000 (first I checked my hal.dll file, and it looked right).

I just want to let you know that the BWC graphic driver installed fine this time, so I think you had this figured pretty well, tomasz86.

This is nice, because it allows me to pull the graphics card, which I never really wanted in there in the first place, especially since it messes with my airflow setup inside the case, and I am overclocking. Mission accomplished.

Thanks for the help, tomasz86. And thank you for the advice, AnX.

In Post #474 I wrote that I had “Already tried installing BWC’s driver; didn’t work here.”

tomasz86: “I think that I know why the driver may not work. It seems to caused be a bug in UURollup's installer.” (Post #475)

tomasz86: “There's a very serious issue in all versions of UURollup (including v10 and older). The problem is that %windir%\system32\hal.dll isn't updated at all. The installer doesn't replace it and I don't know why (yet).”

“This issue does not affect slipstreaming, only manual installation.” (Post #478)

After I reinstalled the OS using your HFSLIP package (i.e. a slipstream, rather than a manual, installation), I decided to give the BWC HD graphics driver another try, because AnX wrote in Post #473 that it supports HD 3000 (first I checked my hal.dll file, and it looked right).

I just want to let you know that the BWC graphic driver installed fine this time, so I think you had this figured pretty well, tomasz86.

This is nice, because it allows me to pull the graphics card, which I never really wanted in there in the first place, especially since it messes with my airflow setup inside the case, and I am overclocking. Mission accomplished.

Thanks for the help, tomasz86. And thank you for the advice, AnX.

Always Welcome. :thumbup

Oh and tomasz86, Chrome 25 fixes most of these bugs.

Not necessarily ;)

There are three different lines - daily, weekly and stable (details in #1). The one which you linked to is the newest daily release of UURollup-v11.

The current releases are:

stable - Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU.exe

weekly - Windows2000-UURollup-v11-w20130323-x86-ENU.exe

daily - Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20130323-x86-ENU.7z

You can test any of these.

SQL Server 2005 Express doesn't work with Rollup 2.

If this topic has been covered somewhere please let me know. Been pulling out my hair on this one.

Okay, I had Win2K Pro (non-server) on an old OptiPlex GX115 (PIII, 1GHz, 512MB, PCI graphics) I rescued from work a couple of years or so back and all was well.

After rescuing another one (GX240, P4, 1.5GHz, 1GB, AGP) I decided I'd do a fresh install there but this time try out the unofficial updates.

Tested two clean installs (USP5.1/Rollup2/UURollup v10d & SP4/Rollup1/Rollup2/UURollup). Went about installing the things I wanted and got around

to Visual Studio C++ 2005 Express with SQL Server 2005 Express, it also installs .NET 2.0. Went fine sort of (msql would use a lot of cpu but otherwise...).

After that I couldn't install any of the sql service packs. Each time the service would fail to start due to not being able to create a certificate. The install would fail and rollback.

Not thinking it was related to the updates I was all over the web for days and weeks trying to figure out how to fix it.

Trying all kinds of workarounds with certs, file/folder permissions, reg hacks, anything.

I've had XP running on a GX260 (sort of sweet spot as everything ran so well). Before XP reaches EOL it was time to migrate that to something better and use the GX260 for

win2k and end it there (P4, 2GHz, 2GB RAM, AGP).

This time I installed SP4, Rollup 1, IE6 manually, and went through all the official updates from MS. Installed Visual Studio again followed by the sql server SP (jumped straight

to SP3 but MS Update still kept showing it so I let it). No problems with installation or running. Followed it with SP4. Still good.

Then I went and added Rollup2. Not sure if I followed up with UURollup right after or later but I lost SQL server again. The service wouldn't start due to not being able to

create a certificate.

Long-winded I know. :-)

So my question is what part of Rollup 2 or UURollup is breaking the ssl/certs/security/etc and is there any way I can fix it? Is sql server a lost cause?

Thanks,

Marc

Edited by marcdw

Then I went and added Rollup2. Not sure if I followed up with UURollup right after or later but I lost SQL server again. The service wouldn't start due to not being able to

create a certificate.

It would be extremely important to know whether it was caused just by Update Rollup 2 or by UURollup :(

First of all, could you tell me exactly which unofficial packages you've installed? You can just list their filenames.

I am running Windows2000/UnofficialSP5/HFSLIP and .NETFramework 1302150148. I am looking into BWC’s KB979683-v2 core delimiter. I have also read the Microsoft article HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234558

Do you think either of these methods would work to improve performance when using a Quad-Core desktop processor?

It would be extremely important to know whether it was caused just by Update Rollup 2 or by UURollup

First of all, could you tell me exactly which unofficial packages you've installed? You can just list their filenames.

The only ones I used at that point were...

Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU.exe

...in that order. Everything before that was official updates.

You're right, I should've checked SQL Server after Rollup2.

I'll either do a start over or try it out in VirtualBox first - something I should've been doing in the first place.

Since I'm gonna start over anyway I might try to uninstall in reverse order just to see what happens though I'm pretty sure that won't work.

BTW, would it be advantageous to use one of those uninstall/rollback-type utils to generate a before/after report?

Granted it would be quite a list but I'm thinking this has something do with the crypt* files.

Edited by marcdw

I am looking into BWC’s KB979683-v2 core delimiter.

It's included in UURollup-v11 ;)

I have also read the Microsoft article HOW TO: Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234558

Do you think either of these methods would work to improve performance when using a Quad-Core desktop processor?

What do you mean? As long as your system detects all CPUs / cores then everything should be all right.

@marcdw I'm suspecting that the problem may be caused by the broken user32.dll which is included in UURollup-v10d. Could you try to install the newest daily release of UURollup-v11 and see if it's fixed?

At the moment the system is using only 2 cores. You need to increase the number in the registry. I've attached a script which will set the maximum number to 32. Thanks for reporting the problem. I'll add this setting to the new version of UURollup.

Windows 2000 may not like HT. I'd suggest downloading CrystalMark 2004R3, doing a full benchmark with HT enabled and disabled, and then comparing the results.

Windows2000_32CPU.cmd

Edited by tomasz86

Would it work as well if I just ran the KB979683-v2 executable? And just for future reference, could I add this exe to one of the UnofficialSP5 HFSLIP folders?

Thank you for the advice on CrystalMark, I’ve been trying to figure out which version of that to use, as I continue to tune this setup. I will definitely test that with and without HT.

Installing KB979683-v2 won't change anything. You also need to manually add the registry entry after installing it. As I said, it's already included in UURollup-v11 so no need to add / install it separately :whistle:

Edited by tomasz86

Okay, tomasz86, I will do that. I only asked because I couldn’t locate KB979683-v2 in either UURollup-v11 or within any of the UnofficialSP5 HFSLIP folders; it’s probably just in a form I don’t recognize. I will use your 32CPU.cmd.