How do I add MSDaRT to WinPE

rjatech

I'm trying to customize a WinPE image that already contains a lot of tools and customized items that I can't duplicate. Starting from scratch is not an option, it has to do with encryption filters included in our WinPE image that we can't reproduce.

At this point i have WAIK, MSDaRT, and MS deployment toolkit installed.

Previously we have integrated the Windows RE interface into our WinPE, so i can actually launch the Startup Repair, but to enable that there was a very specific set of files that needed to be copied from system32 to the X:\windows\system32 folder.

What I was hoping is that someone else has either accomplished this or is familiar enough with the contents of MSDaRT to tell me which files i need and where I need to place them in my WinPE.

I created an ERD 6.5 CD, extracted the ISO, and mounted the WIM, then took the constiuent parts and set them aside. At this point I'm basically going through a trial and error process. So far, all i have figured out is i need to move all the EXEs for the MSDaRT components into x:\windows\system32 (the EXEs for like diskcommander, diskwipe, locksmith, etc). It also requires Msdartcmd.dll to be placed in x:\windows\system32, and beyond that, I'm not sure of much.

I did try adding the windows\winsxs and windows\system32 folders from the ERD WIM to the X:\windows\ folder, and the tools for MSDaRT all seem to work, however the tool we have to use to bypass hard drive encryption fails. That's why I am looking for any specifics about which files and folders need to be placed where in the X:\windows directories in order for MSDaRT to work.

I will continue with the tedious process of moving individual folders over and then testing again, but input from anyone else would be very welcome.

Thanks

Thanks, that seems to help a bit, i've moved 5 DLL files to system32 that I was not previously aware of, and I get further in a couple of the utilities than I was. Most of them open, but when asked to perform their function, they fail. That tells me there are probably some critical files that are missing or not in the right place. For example, if I try to launch a system restore via the 'Solution Wizard', I get a 'Error' box that states 'Class not registered' and nothing more. And if I try to use Locksmith to reset a password, it generates an error 'Unable to copy support code to remote machine'. Each of the utilities fail in their own unique way...

You need to set OS root variable for all to work correctly.

ERDLogon is a stand-alone utility that allows you to set the target OS root variable used by Winternals ERD Commander 2005 and Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 5.0/6.0/6.5/7.0 (MSDaRT).

erdlogon.zip

Could you please re-up the ERDLogon to mediafire or Dropbox etc? With the above link I just end up at the home page of freehostia.com since I don't have an account there.

Cheers and Regards

Could you please re-up the ERDLogon to mediafire or Dropbox etc? With the above link I just end up at the home page of freehostia.com since I don't have an account there.

Cheers and Regards

bphlpt, right click and Save target as... Enjoy, John.

Just get the tools.cab from DaRT 7, it has the files (but one) you need for the WinPE boot image. If you extract it its organized in the folder structure they need to be in.

Then just copy the DartConfig.dat file as well to system32

/ Johan

You need to set OS root variable for all to work correctly.

ERDLogon is a stand-alone utility that allows you to set the target OS root variable used by Winternals ERD Commander 2005 and Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 5.0/6.0/6.5/7.0 (MSDaRT).

erdlogon.zip

The PCs I intend to use this on have fully encrypted hard drives.

Guess I'm confused here. I mount the WIM for my existing WinPE, then copy the files I extract from the ERD tools.cab and place them into the appropriate folder (they all seem to belong in system32 with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions), then remount the WIM and boot into WinPE. I have A43 starting (that's how the WinPE is already configured), navigate to the exe for MSDaRT, and it opens fine. I can launch the tools, but most of them do not complete their intended functions. My primary goal is the system restore functionality, but SFC and some of the other stuff would be nice too.

If I take another approach, which is to mount my existing WIM, then copy the Windows folder (and all files/subfolders) that i extracted from the ERD initially, then the following happens: A43 file manager is no longer launched automatically; instead the first thing that comes up is the RECENV.exe system recovery screen, which then triggers startrep.exe, and from there I select the OS, etc etc, and can get MSDaRT that way. i can actually launch Explorer then navigate to A43 and open it, and see all of the options I've customized for it, including the built-in tools that the encryption software vendor included to bypass the encryption and interact with the encrypted hard drive. Unfortunately the tool that bypasses encryption (provided by vendor) seems to work but fails at the very end because some files or filters aren't in place (having been displaced when I simply copied the Windows\*.* folders from the ERD into my existing WinPE).

Since System Restore works when I copy the entire Windows folder from ERD into my WinPE, but fails instantly if I only copy the files from the tools.cab, I would pose the argument that more files are needed than simply what exists there.

Not trying to be a d*ck :) I absolutely appreciate any input at all, and there's a chance i'm just going about this the wrong way, but I do have some limitations because of the encryption filters and utilities that are incorporated into the existing WinPE. And which files they use, and how they're loaded... i have no idea, and the vendor is less than helpful, so I'm stuck groping in the dark a bit.

Do not copy Winpeshl.ini to system32 folder for your A43 shell to start automatically.

Thanks :) that's that problem solved. Didn't have time today to try anything else that was suggested here, but my thanks to all who have posted here so far. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some trial & error stuff done