Missing or corrupt SETUPLDR.BIN

Aroth

Ok so I fixed that odd error I was getting (apparently if \boot\ is the first directory on the rood of the disc, it it cant find or read bcd), but I am still getting the missing driver error. I'm starting to think it hates me...

Edited by Aroth

Ok so I fixed that odd error I was getting (apparently if \boot\ is the first directory on the rood of the disc, it it cant find or read bcd), but I am still getting the missing driver error. I'm starting to think it hates me...

How EXACTLY do you create the.iso?

With WHICH tool?

With WHICH EXACT command lines?

(BTW, and as a "general" advice, sometimes when these "queer" errors start inexplicably to appear, it makes a lot of sense to start again from scratch)

As a side note, maybe - if the use of grub4dos is "allowed" - you can replicate what has been done for USB disk/sticks installs:

http://reboot.pro/8043/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

How EXACTLY do you create the.iso?

With WHICH tool?

With WHICH EXACT command lines?

(BTW, and as a "general" advice, sometimes when these "queer" errors start inexplicably to appear, it makes a lot of sense to start again from scratch)

As a side note, maybe - if the use of grub4dos is "allowed" - you can replicate what has been done for USB disk/sticks installs:

http://reboot.pro/8043/

jaclaz

Any time I make major changes to the content or file structure, I make a new ISO image from the Win_Installer directory everything is in.

I create new ISO files with oscdimg.exe from the Windows 7 AIK. Specifically, I launch an elevated Deployment Tools Command Prompt (it adds the paths for dism, oscdimg, and imagex to the environment) and navigate to C:\Win_Installer.

The exact set of commands ran after launching the prompt is

cd C:\Win_Installer

oscdimg -lWINDOWS_AIO_SETUP -n -h -m -b.\boot.etfsboot.com . C:\WIN_AIO_TEST.ISO

As for using Grub4DOS, if it comes down to it, I may not have a choice. I just prefer to have to deal with scripting things to get the disk to boot.

Also, I think I am more or less using the same method to force it to grab the install.wim from the right location. The tutorial I adapted is here, and appears to be a final product by steve6375.

Edited by Aroth

oscdimg -lWINDOWS_AIO_SETUP -n -h -m -b.\boot.etfsboot.com . C:\WIN_AIO_TEST.ISO

There are TWO things that seems to me "not kosher" though cannot say if they can make a difference.

.\boot.etfsboot.com

is not a "valid" name (or there is a typo for .\boot\etfsboot.com)

Usually the switch -u2 is used for Windows 7 install disks.

In other words, if I were you I would try full paths and -u2 (though canot say if this will create issues with the XP setup, in which case you can try with -u1 :unsure:):

oscdimg -u2 -bC:\Win_Installer\boot\etfsboot.com -l"WINDOWS_AIO_SETUP"  -h -m C:\Win_Installer C:\WIN_AIO_TEST.ISO

jaclaz

There are TWO things that seems to me "not kosher" though cannot say if they can make a difference.

.\boot.etfsboot.com

is not a "valid" name (or there is a typo for .\boot\etfsboot.com)

Usually the switch -u2 is used for Windows 7 install disks.

In other words, if I were you I would try full paths and -u2 (though canot say if this will create issues with the XP setup, in which case you can try with -u1 :unsure:):

oscdimg -u2 -bC:\Win_Installer\boot\etfsboot.com -l"WINDOWS_AIO_SETUP"  -h -m C:\Win_Installer C:\WIN_AIO_TEST.ISO

jaclaz

Heh, yeah that was a typo on my part in the post. Should have been .boot\etfsboot.com. When I get home I will try your code line with the -u1 switch, as it creates a disk with both UDF and ISO9660 file systems. (Pretty sure ntdetect, ntldr, and setupldr.bin expect ISO9960 as they run off of a CD normally.

(Pretty sure ntdetect, ntldr, and setupldr.bin expect ISO9960 as they run off of a CD normally.

Confirmed.

Here:

(latter includes actual tested command line parameters).

jaclaz

Sort file layout too: BootOrder.txt

Oscdimg Command-Line Options

Ok, so I am creating an image now using the following line of code:

oscdimg -u1 -bC:\Win_Installer\boot\etfsboot.com -l"WINDOWS_AIO_SETUP" -yoC:\TEST\BootOrder.txt -h -m C:\Win_Installer C:\TEST\WIN_AIO_TEST2.ISO

BootOrder.txt contains the following

boot\bcd
boot\boot.sdi
boot\bootfix.bin
boot\bootsect.exe
boot\etfsboot.com
boot\memtest.exe
boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui
boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\cht_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\jpn_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\kor_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf
Win7_x64\boot.wim
Win7_x86\boot.wim
XHOM\ntdetect.com
XHOM\SETUPLDR.BIN
XPRO\ntdetect.com
XPRO\SETUPLDR.BIN

The first half of the BootOrder file is from the example on the technet page, minus the file that isn't present in my source. The last six entries are an attempt to make sure all the loaders are at the front of the disk.

It just finished creating the image as I typed this, so I will go test it and hope for the best.

Update:

No go, but I remember now what I was going to try before I ended up working all day yesterday. In the guide I followed to force the boot.wim image to to load install.wim from a different location, steve6375 only copied the boot.wim and install.wim files from the original discs for Windows 7 (Vista he used the entire sources folder). In addition, his mysetup.cmd script that he injects into boot.wim runs X:\Setup.exe in the event that there is not an entire sources folder used (i.e. Win7). The other person in the thread you linked me, far.in.out, has his script run X:\sources\setup.exe.

I will try removing all files except boot.wim and install.wim from the install directories and see where that gets me, and if it still doesnt work, try running sources\setup.exe from the boot image.

Update#2:

Just had an epiphany.... Does any one know the exact process that is used by the windows 7 PE to load a installer? I was thinking about what you said about odd errors being an indication to just start from scratch, and it made me wonder if the issue is with boot.wim or install.wim. I am going to play with an original disk and see what happens when I cut it down to just the boot and install .wims in the sources folder., also, see what happens when i remove the install.wim file. Basically try to get a normal win7 disk to give me this driver error.

Edited by Aroth

The last six entries are an attempt to make sure all the loaders are at the front of the disk.

Setupldr.bin reads first 4GB of DVD. Sort all XP textmode boot files too.

The last six entries are an attempt to make sure all the loaders are at the front of the disk.

Setupldr.bin reads first 4GB of DVD. Sort all XP textmode boot files too.

So basically the entire contents of all four XP related folders? (XHOM, XPRO, WinXP_Home_SP3, and WinXP_PRO_SP3 in my case)?.

Ok, so I did some tests. I took the official Windows 7 x86 Home Premium disk (named X15-65732, labeled GRMCHPFRER_AN_DVD) and made three test images from it. I then booted each disk in VirtualBox

In test1.iso, I renamed install.wim to install.gag. This resulted in an error that closed setup.exe

In test2.iso, I deleted the entire contents of /Sources/, excepting boot.wim, install.wim, and setup.exe. This image booted into the install and OS Setup select screen with no problems (good way to shave a few hundred MB at the expense of update and possibly repair capability)

In test3.iso, I took test2.iso and moved the Sources folder into a new folder titled Win7_x86_SP1 and then copied my bcd file from C:\Win_Installer\boot into the boot folder of test3. This image gave me the missing driver error.

Based on this I would believe that the problem lies in it expecting to find \Sources\ on the root of the drive, but that doesn't make any sense. It obviously can find install.wim without any problems, likely by looking relative to boot.wim (i.e. ".\install.wim"), and the only files present in \sources\ were boot.wim, install.wim, and setup.exe. If found the first two or it wouldn't have booted or setup would have crashed out, and I see no reason why setup.exe would have drivers inside it (though I guess it IS possible).

I have one last thing to try and thing I will start thinking of other ways to lay out this disk. Folder structure isn't as important to me as having it install x64 windows from inside the x64 PE and x86 Window from the x86 PE, and I think I know how to do that.

Edited by Aroth

So basically the entire contents of all four XP related folders? (XHOM, XPRO, WinXP_Home_SP3, and WinXP_PRO_SP3 in my case)?

I don't know you case fully. I'm not used to this approach anymore.

I guess:

Add all file from XHOM, XPRO folders and files from sub folders

And all files below WinXP_Home_SP3 and WinXP_PRO_SP3 ASMS folders.

And I386\$OEM$\ - \$OEM$\TEXTMODE, if you use this.

Yes, simplified approach: the entire contents of all four XP related folders

To clarify:

This is not required, if relating files are within first 4GB of DVD media by chance.

So basically the entire contents of all four XP related folders? (XHOM, XPRO, WinXP_Home_SP3, and WinXP_PRO_SP3 in my case)?

I don't know you case fully. I'm not used to this approach anymore.

I guess:

Add all file from XHOM, XPRO folders and files from sub folders

And all files below WinXP_Home_SP3 and WinXP_PRO_SP3 ASMS folders.

And I386\$OEM$\ - \$OEM$\TEXTMODE, if you use this.

Yes, simplified approach: the entire contents of all four XP related folders

To clarify:

This is not required, if relating files are within first 4GB of DVD media by chance.

So would the following work, or would just just give an error?

boot\bcd
boot\boot.sdi
boot\bootfix.bin
boot\bootsect.exe
boot\etfsboot.com
boot\memtest.exe
boot\en-us\bootsect.exe.mui
boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\cht_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\jpn_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\kor_boot.ttf
boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf
Win7_x64\boot.wim
Win7_x86\boot.wim
XHOM\
WinXP_Home_SP3\
XPRO\
WinXP_Pro_SP3\

XHOM\

Out of memory, back then at Windows 7 gold WAIK:

A folder XHOM\ is ignored.

You have to specifiy each single file. And wildcards are not supported.

Which file size goes to current ISO image?

XHOM\

Out of memory, back then at Windows 7 gold WAIK:

A folder XHOM\ is ignored.

You have to specifiy each single file. And wildcards are not supported.

Which file size goes to current ISO image?

Not sure exactly what you are asking. The image totals out at about 6.7 GB right now. I have used it to install XP Pro to VirtualBox once already without any issues, so it's probably ok.

I have a few questions before I attempt my next idea for this image.

I know that the basic Windows 7 Setup can run run with just the folllowing

DVD:

BOOT
en-us
bootsect.exe.mui

bcd

boot.sdi

bootsect.exe

etfsboot.com

SOURCES

boot.wim

install.wim

BOOTMGR

Does that mean that the rest of the contents of the \sources\ directory are simply for installing windows from inside another operating system?