Drive Order

NATO

The specs in the lower half of the disk management screeen shows the XP partition as the first (active) and the 7 partition as the second.

executing find --set-root... returns (hd0,0) * should have been (hd0,1)

I entered

1. root

2. chainloder/bootmgr. * got an error msg.

WHICH "error msg"? (they have numbers and a brief explicative text)

Please note that it is:

chainloader[sPACE]/bootmgr

jaclaz

This time selecting gru4dos the system went straight to greeen sceen and said

Booting Windows 7 from disk0 partition0

Then my wife called for help setting dinner table for our guests tonight and when I returned the system had gone further all by itself to say

chainloader /bootmgr

and that created

Error 15 file not found.

and listed options that I don't think would be relevant wrt the problem.

I don't find the \boot\BCD folder in any of the partitions but I distincty remember putting it there.

Guess I'll have to fix that.

Will be back.

Rolf

Edited by Roffen

This time selecting gru4dos the system went straight to greeen sceen and said

Booting Windows 7 from disk0 partition0

Then my wife called for help setting dinner table for our guests tonight and when I returned the system had gone further all by itself to say

chainloader /bootmgr

and that created

Error 15 file not found.

and listed options that I don't think would be relevant wrt the problem.

I don't find the \boot\BCD folder in any of the partitions but I distincty remember putting it there.

Guess I'll have to fix that.

Will be back.

Rolf

Green screen? :w00t:

Rolfen, you are somehoiw doing "other" things from what you were asked. :unsure:

"Green Screen" maybe due to the presence of a menu.lst.

If you have (as you should) ONLY the SSD connected AND you ONLY copied grldr to the active partiton, you won' t have any menu.lst, nor any "green screen". :blink:

If you get a "green screen", press "c" (commandline) and get to the grub> prompt.

You don' t "put" \boot\BCD folder anywhere, it is created by the Windows 7 install procedure, you simply CANNOT (ever) boot a Windows 7 if it doesn't exists. (and it should exist on the active, primary partition of the SSD at the time of Windows 7 install).

if at the grub> prompt you type:

find --set-root /bootmgr

IF you have as output (hd0,0) or (hd0,1) it means that the file IS actually found on either (hd0,0) or (hd0,1) and "root" IS actually set to te volume containing the BOOTMGR.

The immediately following:

chainloader /bootmgr

CANNOT output:

Error 15 file not found.

(since it just found it ;) ).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Seems miracles do happen, after all!

The green screeen and events described are to the best of my knowledge just what I said,

Fact:

running the attrib boot*.* command,

XP part has boot.ini.

7 part has bootmgr.

No folder named boot that I can see.

i can't even find a boot folder on the old xp drive, but I believe I saw both the folder and the BCD in it, somewhere a few days ago.

But i think I installed XP first on active part, then made the other part active and installed 7.

But I am getiing somewhat confused and cant say anything for sure. Is there any file or folder date stamp I can trust?

Or maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to start all over from scratch after all?

The green screeen and events described are to the best of my knowledge just what I said,

I do not doubt your report, I am only stating how evidently you did (and are still doing) something different from what I have asked you to do.

IF:

• you have ONLY the SSD connected
  • you NEVER "installed" grub4dos to the SSD or ANY of the two partitions in it
  • you ONLY added the line c:\grldr="grub4dos" to the BOOT.INI on first (active) partition of the SSD
  • you ONLY added to the ROOT of first (active) partition of the SSD the file grldr

When you boot you should see (white text on black background) a choice among which a line "grub4dos" (without double quotes) and if you choose this line you will land to (still white text on black background) *something saying "grub>" (again without quotes).

That is unless little green men did plant on your PC a green screen overnight.

Unless you manage to do EXACTLY what I suggest (and NOTHING else) and thus "land" on some white text on black background "grub>" we won't get very far.

jaclaz

Unless you manage to do EXACTLY what I suggest (and NOTHING else) and thus "land" on some white text on black background "grub>" we won't get very far.

Funny that I got white text 1st time but green 2nd time - I was surprised!

But here are the directory listings and the boot.ini file:

Volumet i stasjon I er XP SSD

Volumserienummeret er FCCE-3AAA

Innhold i I:\

30.05.2013 07:44 65ÿ536 asusdisp.log

18.05.2013 14:13 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT

26.05.2013 17:15 <DIR> bootpart

18.05.2013 14:13 0 CONFIG.SYS

30.05.2013 23:03 0 dirfile.txt

18.05.2013 14:56 <DIR> Documents and Settings

21.05.2013 05:28 272ÿ715 grldr

30.05.2013 22:51 969 I do not doubt your report.txt

26.05.2013 18:16 <DIR> Programfiler

28.05.2013 16:16 <DIR> WINDOWS

6 fil(er) 339ÿ220 byte

4 mappe® 56ÿ637ÿ411ÿ328 byte ledig

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Volumet i stasjon N er WIN7 SSD

Volumserienummeret er C8EA-7287

Innhold i N:\

10.06.2009 23:42 24 autoexec.bat

10.06.2009 23:42 10 config.sys

30.05.2013 23:04 0 dirfile7.txt

10.06.2009 23:42 24 Kopi av autoexec.txt

10.06.2009 23:42 10 Kopi av config.txt

14.07.2009 04:37 <DIR> PerfLogs

21.05.2013 16:09 <DIR> Program Files

21.05.2013 16:10 <DIR> Users

23.05.2013 19:45 <DIR> Windows

5 fil(er) 68 byte

4 mappe® 52ÿ376ÿ723ÿ456 byte ledig

The two ”dirfiles” are dir>dirfile.txt from dos prompt, the contents of displayed above.

C:\boot.ini (attrib sh) contains

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\Windows7.bin="Windows 7 disk"

C:\grldr="grub4dos"

The above info gained while running Win2k, XP part is mapped I: and 7 part mapped N:

Need Win2k to permit r/w access to SSD parts.

Will now remove all drives except SSD and make a last test befpre going to bed.

Himmler would have envied me; he never found the Holy Grail.

I found the Holy Grub, thanks to grub theologian jaclaz.

That's all I can say. I did a little cleanup up on the drive, followed his last instructions slavishly and lo and behold, there it was!

With Win7 running, the other volume is not visible.

In XP both volumes are visible.

But I really hope the boot procedure may be made somewhat more user friendly.

Using grldr the keyboard also is a problem. I type alt-45 to get '-', and - to get '/'

'-' may be there somewhere, I haven't checked yet.

Edited by Roffen

But I really hope the boot procedure may be made somewhat more user friendly.

Sure, the idea is to first see if the approach works, and later refine it ;).

Using grldr the keyboard also is a problem. I type alt-45 to get '-', and - to get '/'

'-' may be there somewhere, I haven't checked yet.

You can use the numeric keypad to have the dash "-" and the slash "/" normally.

Now that you can boot "manually" you can add (as first step towards the "more user friendly" approach) in the same volume where NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, BOOT:INI and grldr are a "plain" text file, name it menu.lst.

In it put this contents (you can copy and paste allright):

color white/black black/white

timeout 30

title Windows 7 BOOTMGR\n find and load BOOTMGR of Windows 7

find --set-root /bootmgr

chainloader /bootmgr

title Windows 7 Bootsector\n find and load volume bootsector of Windows 7

find --set-root /bootmgr

chainloader +1

title Windows 7 BOOTMGR (hd0,1)\n load BOOTMGR of Windows 7 on second partition

root (hd0,1)

chainloader /bootmgr

title Windows 7 bootsector (hd0,1)\n load bootsector of Windows 7 on second partition

root (hd0,1)

chainloader +1

title commandline

commandline

title reboot

reboot

title halt

halt

All the 4 (four) entries for Windows 7 should work to boot it, please try all of them and report if any of them does not work.

jaclaz

First of all, I am sorry to have caused so much extra work for you! I don't know if I could have shown the same patience and overbearance with me as you have!

Business:

I made the acid test by keeping my three present drive setup intact, just adding the SSD to the top of the BIOS boot order.

And it was all smooth sailing, all four menu entries worked without a hitch.

So it seems I (and you;) have reached our goal, while I am left to find out if I have achieved anything useful by using an SSD drive.

I will disconnect the old XP and 7 drives, and reasssign the 2k drive to extra storage and backup purposes.

The XP partition is hidden whn 7 is active but I presume that's a price we have to pay when booting a non-active partition? But it doesn't really matter.

I have nothing more to say, just thanks a lot for the best help anyone could ask for on the internet. Don't know how I'd have handled a 'customer' like me.

All my life farewell's have been a problem but I'll have to let you off the hook now - we may never meet again.

Cheerio!

The XP partition is hidden whn 7 is active but I presume that's a price we have to pay when booting a non-active partition? But it doesn't really matter.

That can be also "fixed".

If you open (when booted in the 7) the Disk Management you will likely see that the partition where XP is (first partition) has not a drive letter assigned.

Simply right click on that partition and choose to assign a drive letter (you won't be able to assign the "C:" one, as it will likely be already "taken" by the second partition).

First of all, I am sorry to have caused so much extra work for you! I don't know if I could have shown the same patience and overbearance with me as you have!

Naaah, it's more than OK :), I would like to have more "customers" like you ;), as said:

it is really UNcommon to find people with the right attitude :thumbup (willing to change, experiment, play with things) in your age range.

jaclaz

Of ocurse, when you mention it - I know I removed the drive letter on purpose. Will be nice to get it back. All my other volumes aer configured the same way.

Thanks for nice words; the reason may be I was more or less left to myself to find my way with very little in terms of disciplining or indoctrination. But i won't recommend parents test that alternative, it probably takes a particular (peculiar) soil to grow the 'right' way. Especially in our mad 21st century! The 1930's were magic times...

Rolf

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any problems, the dual XP/Win7 setup on a SSD disk is ok.

Before I feel I can let go and remove the old Win7 disk, I use the BIOS drive order method to access it.

I am reading a grub bootloader tutorial with the intention of adding an entry to the menu.lst to achieve the same thing.

My current menu:

color white/black black/white

timeout 30

title Windows 7 bootsector (hd0,1)\n load bootsector of Windows 7 on second partition

root (hd0,1)

chainloader +1

title commandline

commandline

title reboot

reboot

title halt

halt

My suggested alternatives for an additional entry::

title Windows 7 Bootsector\n find and load volume bootsector of old Win 7 * my #1 idea

find --set-root /bootmgr

chainloader +1

title Windows 7 Bootsector\n load volume bootsector of old win 7 * my #2 idea

rootnoverify (hd2,0)

chainloader (hd2,0)+1

( Ihave XP and Win7 on disk 0,

backup / storage on disk 1

Old Win7 on disk 2)

I may be too cautious but I want to make sure I don't mess up what I have now.

Edited by Roffen

title Windows 7 Bootsector\n load volume bootsector of old win 7 * my #2 idea

rootnoverify (hd2,0)

chainloader (hd2,0)+1

This is "almost" good, but unless and until you don' t actually use "write" or "destructive" commands, you can experiment on command line, which is one of the reasons why grub4dos is so convenient, it is a sort of mini-command line OS, similar to good ol' DOS:

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/basics.htm

http://diddy.boot-land.net/grub4dos/files/cli.htm

Once you have established root (plainly with root or with rootnoverify) you can use "relative paths".

In your example you use "absolute paths":

rootnoverify (hd2,0) <- here you set root to (hd2,0)

BOTH:

chainloader (hd2,0)+1 <- this is an "absolute path"

and

chainloader +1 <- this is a "relative path" with implied root

and:

chainloader ()+1 <- this is a "relative path" with explicit root

will have the same result.

As a matter of fact when you write chainloader +1 grub4dos "reads" it as chainloader ()+1, where () is "current root".

The "find --set-root /bootmgr" is not suitable in your case because the disks and volumes are scanned in order, like:

(hd0,0)

(hd0,n)

(hd1,0)

(hd1,n)

(hd2,0)

etc.

so, as soon as the /bootmgr on (hd0,1) is found, that one becomes root and it's bootsector is then chainloaded.

Generally speaking choosing to root is (IMHO) better than rootnoverify which is (or should be) reserved to "particular" settings.

To use find --set-root, normally a "tag file" is used, i.e. you create a "uniquely named" file (it can be a 0 byte file created with - say - Notepad) like "myniceoldwin7.tag" on your third disk, then you can have:

find --set-root /myniceoldwin7.tag

chainloader +1

or

find --set-root /myniceoldwin7.tag

chainloader /bootmgr

jaclaz

I am sorry but I am lost.

Had to reinstall Win7, but now booting partition 1 with boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP music disk Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\grldr="grub4dos"

i only get a black and white menu with option of loading Win7 or grub4dos.

I copied bootmgr and boot folder from 7 to xp again, disapperad when installing 7.

2nd part active when installing 7, 1st part (XP) active now.

I am completely lost, and would prefer not to reinstall XP - have much installed and working fine there.

Rolf

ETA I feel like I have a problem, I do not know what I am doing, I only do what I am being told but don't know what's going on behind the scenes

Edited by Roffen