Windows 8 Music App : that's a joke, right ?

Ben_j

Sooo, I just installed Windows 8 Release Preview, am having a bit of a hard time adapting and all, but the worst is that absolute piece of garbage that the Music app is.

First off, your own music is off screen when you open the app, with the highlight is on the music store ?! For an OS that is said to be easy to use, intuitive and accessible, that's completely off the target.

Then when you browse your own music, I can almost hear Microsoft saying : "we don't want you to find the music you're looking for". Displaying an artist displays ALL of his tracks in a big mess, you can't see the list of the artist albums (not right away anyway)...

Then for the worst part of this app. I play my music, then want to go back to discovering the rest of the OS, and then... When the music app is not on the foreground, the sound is lowered at 10% !!

It's un-f***ing-believable how badly designed and thought this application is, it actually lacks any obvious feature anyone would want to manage and listen to his music. It's like it was coded by a bunch of monkeys on dope...

I seriously hope the final version of the app is better than that.

First off, your own music is off screen when you open the app, with the highlight is on the music store ?! For an OS that is said to be easy to use, intuitive and accessible, that's completely off the target.

Then when you browse your own music, I can almost hear Microsoft saying : "we don't want you to find the music you're looking for". Displaying an artist displays ALL of his tracks in a big mess, you can't see the list of the artist albums (not right away anyway)...

But imagine that the "main scope" of the OS is to make more money, wouldn't it then make sense to have it open on the Music Store? :unsure:

jaclaz

and please don't forget, by using Microsoft Store (which might include music store, someday).

Microsoft were given rights to delete any 'non-appropriate' apps & data (this just might include any music thats not using MS's DRM formats).

And when MS finally deletes some, you must also agree that MS have absolutely no obligation to return any deleted data back to you.

Edited by Joseph_sw

and please don't forget, by using Microsoft Store (which might include music store, someday).

Microsoft were given rights to delete any 'non-appropriate' apps & data (this just might include any music thats not using MS's DRM formats).

Well this is because all of the Metro apps are basically tied to your Windows Live account (or whatever it will end up being now that the Live branding is getting phased out) so you can have the same apps no matter what physical computer you end up logging into. So your metro apps are tied directly into your user profile in the cloud (like a roaming profile) and not to the PC. But as far as data goes, I can't see how it would be able to delete physical data on the hard drive... well to be sure I can *imagine* it but I don't think it will be related in that way.

While I suspect that soon there will be news of some rogue app that gets pulled, there is a strict process to get an app put in the marketplace. This includes going through an approval process, as well as getting a digital signature among other things.

This happens now with content being removed from the Zune marketplace after being available. Assuming you've purchased it, the content does stay on your disk and is perfectly usable. However, you cannot re-download it anymore at a later date, which means it's still best to have a backup copy of your user data when migrating machines just in case.

?

Apparently SOMEONE is having a problem with Zune.

"App" is such a lovely word! Reminds me of FishVille on FaceBook...

"Cloud"? Isn't that a fancy word for "someone else' server somewhere out there"?

Another thread indicates that 5% of us will stick with nothing higher than Win7/Server2k8 until Win8 is "skipped". Leave this stuff to the 95% of the masses ("I just got a new iPeed! Isn't it pretty?"). How's that up/down speed to the nearby tower vs direct hookup?

Sorry, I had to chime in since this Win8 subject is revealing some bad vibes.

Rather than clutter the other Topics, I'm editing this post -

http://phys.org/news/2012-03-windows-big-misstep-microsoft.html

A pretty recent review. Seems like if you can drive a small car well, you could probably easily learn to drive a semi. Not so transitioning to Win8 - More like you can drive a car but now have to learn from scratch how to fly a jet...

Edited by submix8c

Another thread indicates that 5% of us will stick with nothing higher than Win7/Server2k8 until Win8 is "skipped". Leave this stuff to the 95% of the masses ("I just got a new iPeed! Isn't it pretty?"). How's that up/down speed to the nearby tower vs direct hookup?

Only 5% ? At least I can say that I will be part of those 5%. I will probably get a tablet with Windows 8 though.

Only 5% ?

Assuming :ph34r: that submix8c was referencing this:

the 5% figure was just a conventional value for illustrative purposes (the real one probably be more near to 6 or 7% ;))

And for NO apparent reason a repost about a new game (JFYI):

jaclaz

I will not upgrade to 8 (in spite of that beautiful Ribbon in Explorer...)

Ahem, anyway.... I will not move beyond Windows 7 unless Microsoft gets their act together in the upcoming releases.

I don't understand Microsoft's strategy. They want enterprise to move on to Windows 7, yet it seems like they're all for killing the desktop in Windows 8. :blink:

("I just got a new iPeed! Isn't it pretty?").

Best post I've read all day. :lol:

Edited by UltimateSilence