How to backup Genuine license of Windows 7 Home Premium

Mey mate, the cmd actually ask for the product key for backing up the activation. So which product key should I use here, the one which is on the back of the laptop or the one which is in the installed OS?

Mey mate, the cmd actually ask for the product key for backing up the activation. So which product key should I use here, the one which is on the back of the laptop or the one which is in the installed OS?

You need to use OEM:SLP key the one used for the installation not the OEM:COA key on the back of the laptop. You would be better of using Advanced Tokens Manager if you click on the small green orb on top right corner of the application and select your windows dvd folder it will make $oem$ folder for you. I cannot understand why you do not use OEM:SLP key + Certificate to pre-activate Information is available on the forum with the link I gave.

Let's simplify -

If you ever used XP, the differences between OEM and Retail and Upgrade are...

Retail and Upgrade have a "Retail/Upgrade" key associated with the CD you purchased. You must Phone In for product activation. For OEM, there is a SLP key internally used with a special set of OEM-Specific files that when used causes Pre-Activation and an External (COA sticker) that you CAN use but it reverts to Phone In (as if you purchased an OEM-Generic files CD package). IF you use the COA key and NOT use the Internal Key PLUS the OEM-Specific files, you will WIPE access to the Internal Keys, hence the reason to FIRST get the INTERNAL key and the OEM-Specific files FIRST!!! The concept is called SLP.

The same concept is applied to Vista/2k8/Win7 except with a different OEM-Specific File(s) (uses NOT BIOS SLP but SLIC).

All other answers to the OP have been given in preceding posts with appropriate links.

You can use LicRestore.cmd:

http://www.msfn.org/...kuprestoration/

Cheers

Cool, I now have a file called "pkeyconfig.xrm-ms" of some 800kb is it. Can you be so sure about this backup? I mean can I now download the Home Premium SP1 directly from MS site and install the OS then use that cmd to restore my activation without any problem?

About LicRestore.cmd. I don't see that before...But the file inside: %windir%\SYSTEM32\OEM\*.*.XRM-MS

isn't saved!

You can read simple process here:

http://www.msfn.org/...-an-oem-folder/

If you have an OEM PC ....

To activate all we really need is just add a setupcomplete.cmd in $$\Setup\Scripts with the .XRM-MS located in SYSTEM32\OEM

setupcomplete.cmd run's automatically in this location. It also run's invisible so will not show anything except applications installing. Not good to call .cmd files here

setupcomplete.cmd

cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ilc %windir%\SYSTEM32\OEM\*.*.XRM-MS
cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

And you can use the "DigitalProductId.vbs" given by maxXPsoft to know the key you need!

Regards

Edited by myselfidem