Win2k on Intel Z77

Do I get it?

Uhm, not exactly :no:

Windows2000-UURollup-v10-x86-ENU.exe and Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe can be installed manually or slipstreamed with HFSLIP.

OnePiece_Windows_2000_Post-SP4_UpdatePack_v5.0.2_FINAL_ENU.7z can be integrated with nLite but do NOT unpack it. You just integrate it as it is. nLite checks for file versions to determine which files is newer. The content of the update pack and Update Rollup 2 is similar but not the same. There are more updates / hotfixes integrated in Update Rollup 2 than in the update pack. On the other hand the Update Pack covers not only system updates but also IE, MDAC, WMP and other components.

That's why I included all of them in the "basic method" because they are complementary.

Do I get it?

Uhm, not exactly :no:

Windows2000-UURollup-v10-x86-ENU.exe and Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe can be installed manually or slipstreamed with HFSLIP.

OnePiece_Windows_2000_Post-SP4_UpdatePack_v5.0.2_FINAL_ENU.7z can be integrated with nLite but do NOT unpack it. You just integrate it as it is. nLite checks for file versions to determine which files is newer. The content of the update pack and Update Rollup 2 is similar but not the same. There are more updates / hotfixes integrated in Update Rollup 2 than in the update pack. On the other hand the Update Pack covers not only system updates but also IE, MDAC, WMP and other components.

That's why I included all of them in the "basic method" because they are complementary.

Thank you. I used Nlite and integrated:

-- Gurglemyer’s SP5

-- OnePiece_Windows_2000_Post-SP4_UpdatePack_v5.0.2_FINAL_ENU.7z, simple one-shot, it worked, like you said.

-- blackwingcat’s iata76_cd2kd AHCI driver

but... AHCI mode gives blue screen (inaccessible boot device) and IDE mode still hangs at the "Welcome to Setup" screen. :unsure:

XP works OK, but only in IDE mode. I run Win2000 just fine in VM, but I want to use it to manage NTFS partitions, chkdsk and defrag...

Repeat - Try the way you were given. Otherwise you are wasting the time of those trying to help. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! Why do you insist on doing the same thing over-and-over again? If it fails, then... YOUR way does NOT WORK!

tomasz86 DID NOT instruct you to do that!

edit - and the XP needs the SATA drivers installed!!!

Edited by submix8c

Does this version of BWC's adapted driver work on your disk host?

You could look at the identity of the hardware disk host of the Z77 (vendor=8086, chip=nnnn...), possibly on the Internet, and check in the .inf file of the driver if it is included.

And (I'm not familiar with nLite, sorry) if you have to indicate the identity of the disk host, is this one right? Because I see a "10R" in a file name, which may suggest the ich10r which is NOT your disk host on the Z77.

Could you use an F6 diskette coupled with a standard W2k installation disk?

Now I testing Extended kernel + Extended Core.(Now JPN only)

In the environment Intel Rapid Storage Manager 8.9 and Intel HD 2500(3rd Gen) Graphic Driver worked.

On Windows 2000 , some Drivers must be set "NODRV"

For example Intel turbo memory driver and Intel HDMI Driver and so on.

Does this version of BWC's adapted driver work on your disk host?

You could look at the identity of the hardware disk host of the Z77 (vendor=8086, chip=nnnn...), possibly on the Internet, and check in the .inf file of the driver if it is included.

And (I'm not familiar with nLite, sorry) if you have to indicate the identity of the disk host, is this one right? Because I see a "10R" in a file name, which may suggest the ich10r which is NOT your disk host on the Z77.

Could you use an F6 diskette coupled with a standard W2k installation disk?

Edited by blackwingcat

• 4 months later...

You probably need to test it yourself. There aren't many people using Win2k on such a new hardware so waiting for someone to answer on this particular question may be a waste of time :whistle: Even if someone does use the system on a new hardware it may still be very different from yours so it's impossible to confirm whether it may work or not. I myself have got a not too old motherboard but it's for AMD (FM1) so I can't say anything about the Intel chipsets and their compatibility.

You probably need to test it yourself. There aren't many people using Win2k on such a new hardware so waiting for someone to answer on this particular question may be a waste of time :whistle: Even if someone does use the system on a new hardware it may still be very different from yours so it's impossible to confirm whether it may work or not. I myself have got a not too old motherboard but it's for AMD (FM1) so I can't say anything about the Intel chipsets and their compatibility.

I did try, thats why I started this thread. We need Intel AHCI driver. Video for the HD 4000 would be nice too.

AMD is much better, it's a straightforward install on the latest hardware, I expect to have Win2k on 8-core Vishera and Steamroller without any problem on the latest Sabertooth.

I've just re-read the topic from the beginning and I think that if the setup hangs in IDE mode then it's not the SATA driver to prevent it from installation. The easiest way to check it would be move the system disk to another computer, install Win2k there (in IDE mode) and then move it back. If the system boots up and works and it will mean that it's a just a problem in Win2k installer.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I set up Windows 2000 Professional on an Intel Z77 motherboard (the Biostar TZ77MXE) and an Intel i7-2700K Sandy Bridge processor. The Biostar Z77 board has Windows 2000 drivers, but only for audio and LAN. I’ve been unable to make the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics work yet, so for now I’m using a video card. The Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) dated 11/06/2012 from the Intel Download Center works with Windows 2000. Once installed, Device Manager correctly shows “Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family” under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and from there I was able to de-list the remaining unknown devices, so that Device Manager has no problem devices now, and the system is working well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I set up Windows 2000 Professional on an Intel Z77 motherboard (the Biostar TZ77MXE) and an Intel i7-2700K Sandy Bridge processor. The Biostar Z77 board has Windows 2000 drivers, but only for audio and LAN. I’ve been unable to make the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics work yet, so for now I’m using a video card. The Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) dated 11/06/2012 from the Intel Download Center works with Windows 2000. Once installed, Device Manager correctly shows “Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family” under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, and from there I was able to de-list the remaining unknown devices, so that Device Manager has no problem devices now, and the system is working well.

How did you get the Intel MEI driver to work? Which GPU are you using?

The Management Engine provided by Biostar did not work for Windows 2000, so I downloaded one of those driver-search services (can’t remember which), entered my board model, and let it scan my system; it provided a list of drivers to try. The first one on the list worked (and I think the only one), an ASUS MEI, however that figures. This cleared the last problem in device manager (PCI Communications Controller).

I’m using an X600 XT graphics card, for which a Windows 2000 driver is available.

The Management Engine provided by Biostar did not work for Windows 2000, so I downloaded one of those driver-search services (can’t remember which), entered my board model, and let it scan my system; it provided a list of drivers to try. The first one on the list worked (and I think the only one), an ASUS MEI, however that figures. This cleared the last problem in device manager (PCI Communications Controller).

I’m using an X600 XT graphics card, for which a Windows 2000 driver is available.

I modified the .inf of the MEI driver so it runs on Win2K. I copied the XP hardware IDs to Win2k section.

Edited by AnX

• 11 months later...

BlackWingCat released a new AHCI SATA driver version 8.9 dated 02/23/2014, purportedly workable with Windows 2000 on the Z77 platform (7 Series / C216 chipset). I decided to conduct a prelimary test to see if it worked using an Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2700K CPU on a Biostar TZ77A motherboard, and the results look promising.

The problem before, when integrating the XP driver, has been the error “iastor.sys is corrupted,” which stops the show early in the installation process, and leaves IDE mode as the only available option. While I’m still uncertain just how great a performance improvement there is running “true” SATA mode (compared to IDE), this has nonetheless remained a W2K grail of sorts for me.

Today I installed Windows 2000 Professional using the USP5.1 HFSLIP package tomasz86 provides, which includes UURollup v11d20130226; this is the best kernel extension option I have for the installation process (after installation I updated to 11d-20140103).

I suppose there will still be problems to work through, as this was a cursory test, but the result looks a lot better to me than a blue screen that simply says “The iastor.sys is corrupted.” Thank you, BlackWingCat.

Edited by bluebolt