7200.12 Click Of Death. No respond to terminal

I have a 7200.12 ST31000524AS that looks like ST_M13FQBL in bios, and makes this noise when connect to supply

First i try Seatools from cd dos, but all commands fail. I read the 7200.11 guide, i get the cable ,pc with xp installed , hyperterminal , but no luck the disk does not see terminal ( ctrl+z doesnt work too).

Then i bought another ST31000524AS diferent f/w.Test hyperterminal and it works perfect.

Swap PCB and nothing, both disk do the same sound and no respond to hyperterminal. Then i unsolder rom from new (good ) pcb and replace the old (damaged) pcb. And new disk works fine. The old disk is still dead.

This means that old pcb is fine. The problem is the (old) rom or the heads or the plates (maybe first sector that has info about serial and model is damaged)

Any idea why hyperterminal is not working when pcb cant ID the disk plates?

Edited by Timos

Any idea why hyperterminal is not working when pcb cant ID the disk plates?

No. :unsure:

All references we have for the 7200.12 (summed up in this post):

are saying that the terminal works allright with the PCB not connected to the hard disk.

But, of course the "click of death" has nothing to do with the common issues and could be caused EXACTLY by an unreadable part of the hard disk that thus fails to "calibrate" (or whatever).

By any chance is the disk recognized in BIOS like here?:

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/Barracuda-7200-12-problem/td-p/128736

I doubt that there is any DIY way out for a "click of death", but you never know.... :)

Are you positive that the disk is actually spinning?

jaclaz

Thans for reply.

The BIOS recognize it us ST_M13FQBL.

The disk spins for 10 sec, and it stops when clicking stops.

In this link http://forum.hddguru.com/seagate-7200-need-help-with-diagnosis-and-fix-t18907-20.html#p143165 its about ST31000528AS. And 2 pins need too be shorted, for terminal to work. I tried that cos this pins are exactly like my PCB, but no luck.

I will try again terminal with good hard disk, and use paper in head, and next in motor, to see if it works.....when i get home

EDIT:

I take good hard disk, i put paper on head contact - no clicking - no terminal. I put paper on motor - no clicking - no terminal

This means that ROM needs to ID plates, and only that time terminal works.

Edited by Timos

Sorry to say, but potentially it's a "deader". I had one (can't remember the model but AFAIKR a Seagate Barracuda) that I just tossed recently (an 80gb) - did the exact same thing (clicky-clicky then spin and unrecognized - the BIOS trying to "detect" it I assume). Of course, you may have better luck.

Most uninformative I know, just an FYI of my own experience...

Edited by submix8c

I did 1 more test:

I unsolder rom, put PCB on disk and power on. Disk doesnt click anymore and terminal ........works......but ctrr+z respond ........> , and if i type ? respond ......

Boot Cmds:

DS

AP <addr>

WT <data>

RD

GO

TE

BR <divisor>

BT

WW

?

RET

I google it and it means ROM dead.

I was hoping it was f/w problem, but now i think i have to google "how to make a clean room" and open disk hoping a "simple" head change is the solution :(

I was hoping it was f/w problem, but now i think i have to google "how to make a clean room" and open disk hoping a "simple" head change is the solution :(

No. :no::(

Making the clean room is "nothing" when compared to a head change on a multi-platter disk :ph34r:.

To give you a term of comparison it sounds to me like :w00t::

Ok, then I'll have to go for a "simple" heart transplant, let's me find how I can build a surgery room.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

HI all

I have a 7200.12 ST31000524AS firmware JC4B failed. The disk spins for 10 sec with cracking sound then it stops and i didn't hear any sound. And in Device Manager it display as ST_M13FQBL. Please Help me. All important data was saved on it. thank you very much/

HI all

I have a 7200.12 ST31000524AS firmware JC4B failed. The disk spins for 10 sec with cracking sound then it stops and i didn't hear any sound. And in Device Manager it display as ST_M13FQBL. Please Help me. All important data was saved on it. thank you very much/

All the info we have about this, are in posts above.

ST_M13FQBL means that PCB does not comunicate with a disk plate area that has info about HD ID