Unofficial disable Unsafe Removal warning patches for 98se/ME

I've decided to eliminate that annoying "Unsafe Removal" message that keeps popping up with unplugging USB mass storage devices (like USB card readers, USB flash drives, USB 2.0 hard drives, etc.) under Windows 98 SE and Windows ME without the need to use that Safely Remove Hardware icon. I got tired of using the Unplug or Eject Device tray icon on the taskbar to stop my 4-in-1 usb card reader device first and then disconnecting the usb card reader.

Get the Win98se patch here. [98se files are explorer.exe v4.72.3612.1720 and the hotplug.dll & systray.exe files are v4.10.2226]

Get the Winme patch here. [ME files are explorer.exe v5.50.4134.110 and the hotplug.dll & systray.exe files are v4.90.3004]

the patches are newer than the unofficial HOTPLUG.DLL + SYSTRAY.EXE patches for Win98se/WinME listed on MDGx's web site. and I've included a change log in both of those patches.

With the updated explorer.exe, hotplug.dll & systray.exe files installed on either 98se or ME, the Unsafe Device Removal message will no longer appear when disconnecting usb mass storage devices. The behavior should now be like XP, Vista & Win7 when removing usb mass storage devices.

It's the year 2012 and it's time to use 98se/ME like it's really 2012, not year 2002. :yes:

Edited by erpdude8

I've decided to eliminate that annoying "Unsafe Removal" message that keeps popping up with unplugging USB mass storage devices (like USB card readers, USB flash drives, USB 2.0 hard drives, etc.) under Windows 98 SE and Windows ME without the need to use that Safely Remove Hardware icon.

This has already been addressed in NUSB for quite some time... :whistle:

This has already been addressed in NUSB for quite some time... :whistle:

yes LoneCrusader but however, NUSB is for 98se only. NUSB can't install under WinME (hah, gotcha!) :D

I needed a solution for BOTH Win98se AND WinME. that's why I developed patches that covers both 98se and ME.

I've also developed a similar fix for Win2000 here.

Edited by erpdude8

NUSB is for 98se only.

Not exactly. There is a 98 FE version.

NUSB can't install under WinME (hah, gotcha!) :D

Maybe not. But I doubt there's a whole lot of difference in what would need to be changed. Instructions for patching it are somewhere in the NUSB thread.

Nonetheless, it's good to have any contribution to Windows 9x these days.

• 1 year later...

Get the Win98se patch here. [98se files are explorer.exe v4.72.3612.1720 and the hotplug.dll & systray.exe files are v4.10.2226]

Get the Winme patch here. [ME files are explorer.exe v5.50.4134.110 and the hotplug.dll & systray.exe files are v4.90.3004]

the patches are newer than the unofficial HOTPLUG.DLL + SYSTRAY.EXE patches for Win98se/WinME listed on MDGx's web site. and I've included a change log in both of those patches.

@ erpdude8, while browsing through this board and over at MDGX I read that systray.exe 4.90.300x work also on Win98SE but it looks like as if it has never been added to NUSB. Does it break NUSB ??

Could you also say what needs to be patched in these files because I think I would need to do that with German versions.

Thanks and best wishes, MiKl

Edited by MiKl