Customized XP installer

Lord Wolf

Well its obviously no secret that they exist. Its not even really a big deal since that distribution model isn't used anymore. :rolleyes:

Well :), if Lord Wolf and allen2 CANNOT possibly have one of those, they don't exist :w00t: and they weren't talked about in this thread until you revealed "Confidential" info .... :ph34r:.

;)

jaclaz

Let me get this straight -

1 - You have XP Pro OEM with Key (purchased) <-betting it's "generic"

2 - You have XP Home OEM that came with the PC <-undoubtedly OEM-Specific -OR- kind-of-"Royalty" (IOW, the COA Key would install but you have to activate -OR- The "Royalty" key is embedded inside WINNT.SIF(or maybe in some cases a SYSPREP setup in e.g. old Compaq).

3 - You have an XP Pro FPP "somewhere" that you did a compare against #1 above

4 - You "decided to install XP pro using one of a few keys I have" (plural - I don't want to ask) <--?OEM or FPP?

5 - You want a "generic" XP Pro OEM <--Why? You probably already have one

Fine... an explanation (info on web anyway) for XP Pro -OR- XP Home (other minor diffs between Home/Pro)

Basic File differences

-Different between FPP and Any OEM- 
ACC_DIS.CH_
ACCESSIB.CH_
EULA.TXT
IESUPP.CH_
IEWEBHLP.CH_
SUPP_ED.CH_
SETUPP.INI
-Different ONLY from OEM-Specific (Generic-OEM and FPP are EXACTLY THE SAME)-
OEMBIOS.BI_
OEMBIOS.CA_
OEMBIOS.DA_
OEMBIOS.SI_

Keys will NOT (obviously) interchange between "Generic" OEM, FPP, or OEM-Specific ("Royalty"). If a COA Key is used with an OEM-Specific, it will fall back to "Generic" and need Activated, just like an FPP Install. The "Internal Key" can be used to Pre-Activate. DID YOU READ THE HINT THREADS?

I honestly do NOT know what you're getting at. You will NOT get the "needed files" from here or be pointed to where to get them. As far as "benefits of FPP", I can only say - WHAT? Mainstream support has ended but Fixes will continue for nearly 2 more years so the point is moot whether FPP, OEM-Generic, or OEM-Specific (AFAIK vendors like HP and Dell no longer sell XP PC's).

Please note that the fist several files (the .CH_) are JUST HELP FILES that say "contact your vendor" and the .INI distinguishes between OEM and "whatever". The .TXT similarly indicates FPP or OEM. The last four are what the OEM's use to mass-roll-out AS PREVIOUSLY EXPLAINED. Again... HINT THREADS!!!

This has been repeated in various ways. You seem to be pushing for a "solution" to a "non-problem" (as you seem to have a Generic OEM CD and Key). Drop Point#5 and proceed with Points#1->#4.

This is how I got mine. I remember comparing it to a FPP disc and found out that there were only a few files that were different (like 3 or 4 small files). From what I could tell, it was nothing more than a FPP but with changes made so it would only accept OEM keys. Nothing customized and for all intents and purposes was an FPP disc, but without the FPP benefits (namely, support from MS).

Well MSI is an OEM as well, so maybe I am confused about what kind of disc you actually have. Does the COA on the netbook say MSI (or Microstar) on it? And the XP Home disc you have, is it a hologram disc?
The recovery disc isn't a hologram disc, but at the same time, it's not a straight XP disc. It's customized and I'm sure designed to only work on certain hardware, namely the netbook, vs being able to use it on a custom built desktop. Has MSI printed on it along with a few words of legality ('For Distribution Only With a New MSI Notebook PC", that's typed exactly as I see it, including capitalization) and the what it's intended use is.
Well its obviously no secret that they exist. Its not even really a big deal since that distribution model isn't used anymore. :rolleyes:

Well :), if Lord Wolf and allen2 CANNOT possibly have one of those, they don't exist :w00t: and they weren't talked about in this thread until you revealed "Confidential" info .... :ph34r:.

If it's not legal for me to have it, then whether or not it exists is irrelevant to me. Wasn't asking for a source to obtain an illegal copy or to illegally download a copy of anything. If it's not from a legal/legitimate source, I don't want it, plain and simple. Aside from it not being legal, I would be concerned that it's infected and would compromise my privacy/security.
Let me get this straight -

1 - You have XP Pro OEM with Key (purchased) <-betting it's "generic"

2 - You have XP Home OEM that came with the PC <-undoubtedly OEM-Specific -OR- kind-of-"Royalty" (IOW, the COA Key would install but you have to activate -OR- The "Royalty" key is embedded inside WINNT.SIF(or maybe in some cases a SYSPREP setup in e.g. old Compaq).

3 - You have an XP Pro FPP "somewhere" that you did a compare against #1 above

4 - You "decided to install XP pro using one of a few keys I have" (plural - I don't want to ask) <--?OEM or FPP?

5 - You want a "generic" XP Pro OEM <--Why? You probably already have one

1. If by 'generic' you mean the same key being sold to multiple people, I seriously doubt it. If you mean it being just one of many keys from a bulk pile sold to the store I got it from, then most likely.

2. The recovery disc is, as you would imagine, one that 'pre-activates' the computer and I *think* repartitions the entire drive and rebuilds the recovery volume, so the computer (netbook) is the same as when I first got it.

3. I have the XP Pro FPP (as well as w/SP2 and w/SP3) in ISO form.

4. In relation to #3, I have multiple product keys, *ALL* of which are legal/legitimate and were obtained through legal/legitimate means. I have at least one OEM key that I'm aware of and at least 3 FPP keys that I can think of off the top of my head. Getting into Vista and 7, I have multiple keys on those too, mostly FPP, but again *ALL* legal and legitimate. I know you're not implying it, but just to cover it, there isn't anything illegal going on. It's simply the fact that I'd like to be able to do the install and use the OEM key. After all, when using a key for one install and then doing another XP install (either on another machine or in a VM), I'm legally required to use a different key since no two installs can legally use the same key at the same time. At least, that's my understanding of the license, is that to have to have a unique product key for each install. As a side mention, there are a couple of computers running a Home version of 7 that I'd like to upgrade to Pro, but as the keys I have are already in use, it will have to wait. One key I do have free is for an x86 version and that's the one I plan to use on the Netbook for the install of 7 on it. (The other machines are 64bit.)

5. If I could find that OEM disc of XP Pro w/SP2, then I could easily slipstream SP3 into it and that'd be the end of it. Considering it was bought with a piece of equipment (as required in order to buy the OEM version from that particular dealer), I'm certain that it's pretty much the same as FPP, in that nothing has been customized/tailored by the store I got it from. From the list of files you provided, I might be able to duplicate one. Just need to find a way to pull the files off of the 160gb hard drive or something.

I do want to repeat though, that the keys I have and am using are legitimate and were legally obtained, and want to make sure I remain within the legal limits when it comes to running more than one install of XP. If I ever need to do another install on the netbook, it would be beneficial to use an OEM key on it since it would make sense to do it that way. (Whether or not the key printed on the pretty Windows XP logo sticker on the bottom would work or not, I don't know, I haven't tried it. I tend to ignore those keys.) To use it though, I know I'd have to use an OEM version of XP. The last I remember, OEM keys won't work on FPP discs and vise-versa.

As for my 'pushing' for a solution, I have only stated and restated my intentions. If there isn't a place to download it legally (such as from msdn.digitalrivercontent.net) then obviously it can't be done. Not about to go using P2P file sharing sources because, as I mentioned above, aside from it not being legal (at least to my understanding), there would also be the concern of it being infected. The risk on that alone is a big NO for me. If you go back and re-read this topic, you'll see where a majority of the conversation is discussing the different OEM type discs. It wasn't me repeatedly asking for a link despite being told a dozen times that it's not legal.

And on the FPP benefits (ie support), my mention of that was from my findings in the past, ie, a few years back when it would have applied to me. I didn't say I installed FPP to get the benefit of support, only that the differences between FPP and OEM (in my instance) boiled down to it. Huge difference.

You mention, in all caps, about reading. With all due respect, it would seem that you either didn't fully read, or you misread, what was said.

Edited by Lord Wolf

The recovery disc isn't a hologram disc, but at the same time, it's not a straight XP disc. It's customized and I'm sure designed to only work on certain hardware, namely the netbook, vs being able to use it on a custom built desktop. Has MSI printed on it along with a few words of legality ('For Distribution Only With a New MSI Notebook PC", that's typed exactly as I see it, including capitalization) and the what it's intended use is.

Ok, so its branded. Now my question is, on the COA on the netbook have MSI or Microstar name on it? It usually would appear below the OS name. See the "new COA" picture here:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/antipiracy/pages/COA_hologram.aspx

Where it just says "original equipment manufacturer" under "Windows 7 Home Premium." XP should be the same, I've got an XP PC here that has Dell name under the OS name.

Ok, so its branded. Now my question is, on the COA on the netbook have MSI or Microstar name on it? It usually would appear below the OS name. See the "new COA" picture here:

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/antipiracy/pages/COA_hologram.aspx

Where it just says "original equipment manufacturer" under "Windows 7 Home Premium." XP should be the same, I've got an XP PC here that has Dell name under the OS name.

Don't know how I overlooked this reply. Anyways, it says "Micro-Star" on it and it doesn't match either of the two on the link you provided but I know it's authentic as I've seen the same type of COA on other laptops from other manufacturers.

(sigh... beating a dead horse...)

Using the above info (the "list"), you may

1 - extract/copy the Pro FPP w/SP3 CD contents to a folder

2 - copy the *.CH_ files (listed above) of the MSI disk, overlaying the FPP ones

3 - change the SETUPP.INI line with "PID=" to read xxxxxOEM (leave the "x" part alone)

4 - extract the CD BOOT (internal on the CD) to "somewhere"

5 - using burning software of choice burn a new Bootable CD (no need for Joliet, but go ahead if you want)

VOILA! XP Pro w/SP3 "Generic".

(p.s. the EULA will wrongly indicate FPP, but you don't care, do you? and the *.CH_ are basically EMPTY, telling you to "contact the vendor"...)

As I said (and now repeating), before you got HUFFY, a Generic OEM will NOT Pre-activate and (AFAIK) WILL work with OEM COA keys. The keys you get with the "purchased mom-and-pop) WITH a Generic OEM Disk (these are usually "system builder kits" - 2 CD's) and you get ONE Key UNLESS you purchase MORE and are UNIQUE (NOT used over-and-over) as you seemed to misunderstand. The second CD is the OEM Preinstall Kit CD freely available from MS as an ISO.

The above 5 steps will give you your "Mom-and-Pop" CD that you "lost" but have a Key for. You will NOT get support from the Vendor (MSI - but you don't care). This info is FREELY AVAILABLE on the WWW.

A NON-Generic OEM is the type (like your MSI Disk, and TOTALLY irrelevant to your topic) that has the four SPECIFIC files (see list) that the Vendor (NOT Mom-and-Pop) use to allow for Auto-Activation using the INTERNAL key (not the COA key), thus you STILL have to have that key (internal) to pre-activate. The COA KEY will/should work with the (MSI) CD/DVD, but WILL require activation - using it on ANOTHER PC is illegal - the CD goes with the COA/Hardware. They ALSO (usually) provide Drivers integrated into the CD (and sometimes other "stuff). As you describe it, it is a RESTORE CD and more than likely does NOT "rebuild the whole hard drive" (but is cram-packed with other "stuff). You describe two DVD's - this is what I have for my Dell - NOT a "Recovery Set" (usually an IMAGE of the OS Partition built from the Recovery Partition and spanning more than 2 DVD's, usually 4 or 5) but an INSTALL/Reinstall Disk. DO NOT confuse the two. It would be POSSIBLE that you have a "slimmed down" Recovery set, but doubtful. I DO, however, have a set of Compaq Recover Disks that literally rebuild the HDD, the INTERNAL key being on the first CD (boots kicks off the Recovery) and the OEM-OS-CD as the second (also bootable but no embedded key).

"Standard" CD will usually have the SAME FOLDERS as the Restore CD (may have a couple extras). Visually compare the Pro-FPP to the MSI-Home-OEM contents and see if that's true. Heck, you could list the FOLDER NAMES here and that would probably tell the tale.

Jeez, I thought the post was VERY clear and NOT filled with "implications" (e.g. your point#1 "generic" response). I NEVER accused you of "pirating keys", did I? Did you have to go into a diatribe?

side note -

I usually use CAPS instead of wasting keystrokes/mousestrokes to bold or italic specific points. Problem?

side note#2 -

I suggest you image the WHOLE HDD or use a different one before you "wipe" the HDD in case you want to put it back to Factory for possible sale. Even further, using a second HDD, try the DVD's you have to see if they indeed "restore to factory". SOME Recovery Disks won't "restore" to even a different HDD (the HDD is pee'd on internally to prevent pirating - only an EXACT MAKE/MODEL will work).

Done! (been there, done that, love fixing/reloading friends/relatives "virus-ridden" PC's - NOT!)

edit - re your MSI DVD - this is my Dell one (not hologrammed).

post-72994-0-62487200-1345318739_thumb.j

Edited by submix8c

As I said (and now repeating), before you got HUFFY, a Generic OEM will NOT Pre-activate and (AFAIK) WILL work with OEM COA keys. The keys you get with the "purchased mom-and-pop) WITH a Generic OEM Disk (these are usually "system builder kits" - 2 CD's) and you get ONE Key UNLESS you purchase MORE and are UNIQUE (NOT used over-and-over) as you seemed to misunderstand. The second CD is the OEM Preinstall Kit CD freely available from MS as an ISO.

The step by step is indeed useful. I don't recall saying anything about being able to have it be 'pre-activated'. Not sure what you're on about with the 'unique' key thing, as I can use the same key multiple times, just so long as it's sequential usage and not concurrent usage (ie, can only have that key in use on one install at a time, but when that key is no longer in use, I can then use it again). I was rather clear on remaining legal with my use of the keys and such.

4. In relation to #3, I have multiple product keys, *ALL* of which are legal/legitimate and were obtained through legal/legitimate means. I have at least one OEM key that I'm aware of and at least 3 FPP keys that I can think of off the top of my head. Getting into Vista and 7, I have multiple keys on those too, mostly FPP, but again *ALL* legal and legitimate. I know you're not implying it, but just to cover it, there isn't anything illegal going on.
Jeez, I thought the post was VERY clear and NOT filled with "implications" (e.g. your point#1 "generic" response). I NEVER accused you of "pirating keys", did I? Did you have to go into a diatribe?
I recall clearly saying that I knew you weren't implying that I was doing anything illegal. In fact, I quoted the part where I said it and you can even compare it to the post I said it in. As for going on a 'diatribe', I did no such thing. The closest I came to that in the post was in stating that I'm not the one who needs to read. Not only did you accuse me of constantly 'pushing' for something despite what I was being told (which I did not do), what I have quoted from you (above) also demonstrates it as well. I do appreciate your help, but, again with all due respect, please read what I'm saying and not assume you know what I'm saying despite not reading it. I didn't say you were implying that I was doing anything illegal (and in fact, I stated that I knew you weren't). I said that on purpose so that when I stated my position and clarified my use and intentions, anyone reading it would know I wasn't under the impression that you were hinting at something.

Again, I do appreciate help that you provide, but please read thoroughly, because you appear to skim and then make assumptions (at least in this topic).

I believe I/we elaborated quite well. ;)

As explained to you in reply to the PM you sent to me and harassed me there despite being told to not talk to me anymore, you made yet another assumption.

For anyone wondering what's going on, his reason for linking to a topic of mine from a few years ago was because he assumed that I was trying to be sneaky/deceptive by making this topic. To quote him, "Did you not think it would be noticed?" My reason for asking about the differences back then from curiosity and wanting to learn. In this topic, I was asking for a legal source for where I could download an OEM ISO from since I do have a legal key in my possession but am missing the disc. So no, I wasn't trying to 'get over' on anyone or anything else implied by the question sent to me in PM.

So to submix8c, no I'm not a NEW user, despite you calling me one, nor am I the one skimming instead of reading (your actions have already outed you on that).

To everyone else, sorry about this post but after getting a PM where submix8c's made his intentions clear for why he made his reply, I felt it necessary to fill in the blanks for others. Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to future interactions minus the harassment. :)

Ignoring the current "discussion" between Lord Wolf and submix8c, and I sincerely hope you both will just drop it....

I'm sorry, but unlike Win7, I am not aware of any place to legally download a copy of an XP ISO of any variety, unless you have a TechNet subscription. (I don't have one, but I think I understand that it would give you access to this kind of thing.) It doesn't matter that you already have a legal key, or that you are just looking for a "replacement" ISO for your missing disc. Some computer suppliers provide the option, for a fee, of having a replacement disc sent if you bought your system from them, but if this applied to you, or you were a TechNet subscriber, I would assume you would already be aware of these options. I've heard that some people have purchased an OS disc through ebay, Amazon, Newegg, Craig's list, etc, but I've also heard that not all of the discs offered there are legitimate, so be aware.

So if you have an XP disc of any kind, or can obtain one, that you can update and modify using submix8c's instructions or something similar, along with nLite, RVMIntegrator, HFSLIP, or whatever your method of choice might be, then that's probably what you should do. If you do happen to find a legal source to download an XP ISO, please let us know because I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

Cheers and Regards

So if you have an XP disc of any kind, or can obtain one, that you can update and modify using submix8c's instructions or something similar, along with nLite, RVMIntegrator, HFSLIP, or whatever your method of choice might be, then that's probably what you should do. If you do happen to find a legal source to download an XP ISO, please let us know because I'm sure there are others who would be interested.

Trust me, if I find one, I'll be sure to share. Of course before doing so, as I'm sure you can understand, I'll be checking to make sure that it is legal/legit. Not only because I don't want to get into any trouble for sharing it, but also to ensure that I don't download/use something that could have a trojan in it.

I'm sorry, but unlike Win7, I am not aware of any place to legally download a copy of an XP ISO of any variety, unless you have a TechNet subscription.

My own opinion is that Microsoft had planned a side business of providing replacement media. Official avenue to get media ...

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Hasn't worked out according to plan really. I believe they simply missed the boat here, being a lumbering behemoth and all. In other words they could have easily used the internet infrastructure to fill the needs of people by posting an ISO (refreshed with each SP). Much of a Windows CD/DVD is found in the large service packs anyway, their sizes are usually more than one half the size of the distribution disc. And, since they went to activation there is really no excuse for the runaround. But it is what it is. There are no fully legal methods for most people to get what you mentioned except for that link. And when you consider how bad Microsoft wants to kill WinXP, it's a miracle that any avenues exist at all.

Keeping in mind that Microsoft support is not completely averse to asking "can you borrow a friend's disc?" (stated in various other forum comments) but stopping short of suggesting to "find an ISO and burn it", we can assume there are several tiers of legality in their minds. But one thing is absolutely for sure, the legality of obtaining an ISO outside of official avenues is a completely separate issue to the rules here (a completely clean and exceptionally well moderated forum) so some things are just better left unsaid! IMHO, it is better for people to go to SevenForums and MDL and do their own research and then, take their own risks.

Keeping in mind that Microsoft support is not completely averse to asking "can you borrow a friend's disc?" (stated in various other forum comments) but stopping short of suggesting to "find an ISO and burn it", we can assume there are several tiers of legality in their minds. But one thing is absolutely for sure, the legality of obtaining an ISO outside of official avenues is a completely separate issue to the rules here (a completely clean and exceptionally well moderated forum) so some things are just better left unsaid! IMHO, it is better for people to go to SevenForums and MDL and do their own research and then, take their own risks.

Yeah I've seen references, I believe on a Microsoft site (like answers.microsoft.com) and by a MS employee who clarified that it's okay to borrow a disc, so long as they use their own unique key (said in a way that basically says that a key can only be used on one install at a time).

Not sure if you and I are on the same 'page', but when you say "outside of official avenues" and whatever, if it's not by legal means then I don't want to risk it. I'm sure that's what you were referring to but just clarifying my stand on things. If someone (be it me or someone else) is able to provide a link to an ISO and it can be demonstrated/proven that it's legal, then I'm sure that the staff of this site will be fine with it, although asking first would definitely be a good step to take.

Since no one seems to have been able to provide such a resource yet, odds are that there are no resources (legal ones that is). Oh well, just have to hope I can come across that disc if I'm unable to 'piece' one together myself. If not then just have to deal with not using the key. I have multiple product keys for XP Pro, so not a big deal unless I come to a point where I actually NEED one more key.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Aside from the ISO, please read rules 7a, 7b, and 7d, Sir Lord Wolf. If you should reread the thread, you'll see your reactions to a number of senior members.

As for the ISO, AFAIK only MSDN/Technet (and SEL/VAR, whatever) had those available.It just won't happen unless it's illegal so don't even bother. As stated repeatedly (AND in the PM's you HAD to bring up in this thread :realmad: ), DROP it and use the supplied info I gave to "roll your own" as SPECIFICALLY stated in Post #17. I'm absolutely POSITIVE of the "list"/key-info so trust it or not - your choice.

(Some people just don't appreciate honest criticism/assistance.)

On a side note, you (I "assume" it's you) DID provide a couple of Unattended info's. Thanks. (See how easy that is?)