Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

JorgeA

The Samsung one will not install on my computer (not a Samsung): it begins the installation process then faults out with an error stating "This setup is only available on Samsung Computer" and then rolls back what it had begun.

The Toshiba one on the other hand installs without any (known) problem, and my computer is not a Toshiba. The Toshiba Desktop Assist does not offer to bypass the Metro/Modern screen; however once in the Desktop UI there is an Desktop Assist icon on the desktop and one pinned to the Taskbar (which of course can be dragged to where the Start button used to be, if so desired); here is a link to an image of Desktop Assist.

Thanks, Laurence, for testing these (and @jaclaz for digging them up).

We'll take a pass on the Samsung one, as their Start Menu appears to be only one part of the Easy Settings program and installing this program could introduce more confusion than it resolves.

Based on your report, though, it looks like we're good to go on the Toshiba offering.

--JorgeA

which is the best???

That's what this thread is for! :) I'm hoping that people who have tried one or more of these, will come back and tell us how they worked out for them.

Myself, I'm happy with Start Menu X, although that shouldn't be taken as an endorsement over any other entry in the list. My Win8 installations are not on my main PC (I wouldn't dare take the chance!!) and I don't use them heavily, so I haven't had a strong reason to experiment with other start menus. I simply found, early on, something that worked for me and I've stayed with it.

--JorgeA

Yet another:

StartW8

It is free, boots directly to desktop, provides a Start button and menu, very minimal customization available, no RMB context menu in the menu.

Hi Laurence,

Great, I've put it on the list.

I'm thinking of reorganizing the list a couple of ways. First it would be put in alphabetical order, and then sometime later the entries would be classified along the lines described earlier (by feature or purpose of the method/application). Hopefully these changes won't screw up anybody who's been trying these out in the order that they're now listed...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

. . .

I'm thinking of reorganizing the list a couple of ways. First it would be put in alphabetical order, and then sometime later the entries would be classified along the lines described earlier (by feature or purpose of the method/application). Hopefully these changes won't screw up anybody who's been trying these out in the order that they're now listed...

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

What you are proposing to do sounds good. And it certainly could prove to be a real help to anyone who is thinking about giving one or more of those programs a "try and see" for their selves. I know the one I had settled on does mostly what I want it to do; one thing I like about it is that it is actively developed, with bug fixes and enhancements (so after a little while may do all I want). And although I'm not saying it is the "best" but it "works for me"; as to the best, I'd have to have tried and compared all of the programs in their feature-set, ongoing development, active support, cost, etc. - but nonetheless in the end it would still be 'in my opinion. . . .'

regards,

Laurence

Hi JorgeA,

Here is another one: Win8Starter

It comes in a paid version ($5.99 USD), and a Free version. On their website it says, "Restrictions of the free version: no settings; no automatic adjustment of menu color; no possibility to add your own shortcuts."

Upon install the Start Button icon is placed on the Taskbar but must be dragged to the left hand corner of it, well as close as the Win8Starter button allows that is. . . also during Windows boot-up, Logging off and Logging back in, etc., it first goes to the Metro/Modern start screen, and if you wait for a bit (!) it will then proceed to the Desktop UI.

regards,

Laurence

Hi Laurence,

Thanks very much! I'll add Win8Starter right away.

I just realized that I never did put the Handy Start Menu on the list, so I'm doing that as well.

Finishing up a big project at work this week, then I'll alphabetize the list items.

Best Wishes,

--JorgeA

Hi Laurence,

. . .

Finishing up a big project at work this week, then I'll alphabetize the list items.

Best Wishes,

--JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

I hope that project at work turned out well for you.

When you alphabetize the list items, are you going to include the company name of all the programs (that is, if there is a company name), as presently you do with some but not with all (or perhaps just remove all company names)? And will you be changing some of the listings URL's? The reason I ask is that most of the programs do have their own home sites from which to download the program (though granted, not all).

I see that the link for Ezy Start Menu for Windows 8 listing no longer works, and doing a few quick searches did not reveal an alternative working link. Also just in case you miss it when changing things around, what you have presently listed as "WS8M (Windows 8 Start Menu)" really ought to be "W8SM (Windows 8 Start Menu)".

Thanks JorgeA.

regards,

Laurence