Ways to get back the Start Menu/Button in Win8

JorgeA

'Only' 750,000 since Windows 8 got launched.

Pretty impressive!

Does Classic Shell make it possible for the user to disable showing desktop applications in the Start Screen, and/or to disable Metro apps in the Start Menu? That's what @ozaz wanted to know a few posts back.

--JorgeA

Desktop apps aren't disabled on the Start screen but it has a separate Apps menu in the Start Menu, distinct from Programs so Metro apps always remain separate. The idea is that even if you use Metro apps, you never actually use the Start screen. :D:lol: The Start Menu does everything the Start screen does except Live Tiles. If you really find Live Tiles that useful, you wouldn't be installing a Start menu in the first place. :)

If you really find Live Tiles that useful, you wouldn't be installing a Start menu in the first place. :)

I disagree. Whilst I think the start screen will never make sense for desktop apps (poor for efficiency to have the desktop app launcher outside of the desktop environment), I do think it has its merits as a launcher for metro apps (one of which is live tiles) and I think it will evolve into something better. I also think I will like having the 2 environments completely separate. However, I come to that opinion after less than 2 days use of StartIsBack (so not sure if it is just a transient opinion) and I have not tried Classic Shell. Is there a screenshot of the Classic Shell metro app menu somewhere?

Cheers

The Classic Shell metro app menu, when I saw it at a neighbor's, is just a simple alphabetical list of all the metro apps. In the area where the "All Programs" link is, is another parallel link for "All Apps". When clicked, the alphabetical list flies out, similar to the All Programs list.

Classic Shell is easy to try and remove if you desire. It can also be used in conjunction with StartIsBack. And in all cases, you always have access to the Start Screen if you prefer to use it as a metro app launcher. Access to it is not blocked.

Cheers and Regards

If you really find Live Tiles that useful, you wouldn't be installing a Start menu in the first place. :)

I disagree. Whilst I think the start screen will never make sense for desktop apps (poor for efficiency to have the desktop app launcher outside of the desktop environment), I do think it has its merits as a launcher for metro apps (one of which is live tiles) and I think it will evolve into something better. I also think I will like having the 2 environments completely separate. However, I come to that opinion after less than 2 days use of StartIsBack (so not sure if it is just a transient opinion) and I have not tried Classic Shell. Is there a screenshot of the Classic Shell metro app menu somewhere?

Cheers

Here's a screenshot.

h9WrA.png

Of course, it is just a menu. On the desktop, the purpose of "Live Tiles" is already served for the past 17 years by the notification area/system tray and Vista onwards by gadgets. In fact, the beauty of gadgets or tray area is that they can notify you while you are multitasking with other apps. Whereas, you have to specifically open the Start screen from any app to see the Live Tiles, They are tied to the screen. Unlike gadgets which for example you can have "Always on top" tucked away in a corner while you multitask, you can't see Live Tiles without showing the screen screen. I personally consider Live Tiles pretty distracting and for the fraction of a second my Start screen is suppose open, I have no time to scan across them to see if there's anything new. Plus if you really do like Live Tiles, the Start screen is just a Shift+click or Shift+Win key away. Access to it is not prevented by Classic Shell. :)

Of course, I did purchase StartIsBack as well because it can co-exist with Classic Shell. Win key opens Windows Start Menu. Mouse click opens Classic Start Menu. I am just not sure the evil things Microsoft won't do in future versions. They may take out the Start Menu code entirely including the jump list code and replace it by something "simplified".

Edited by xpclient

the beauty of gadgets or tray area is that they can notify you while you are multitasking with other apps.

This is a mantra that Steve B. and Julie L.-G. should be required to repeat every time they answer the office phone, as a condition of receiving their stock options.

I've always been dubious about the official "security" reason for abandoning Gadgets. All of a sudden, after all these years they discover a vulnerability that can't be fixed?? And just as Windows 8 is getting released??? Methinks it has more to do with promoting Win8 with its live tiles...

--JorgeA

^^ No Ivo Beltchev is. :) It's thanks to him that it's so good. It's like this. Ivo Beltchev first created the Up button, copy dialog replacement and basic Start Menu. Then I liked the project so much that I joined him and started giving him feature suggestions and ideas about new features and how to improve the UX, feedback around how it should be designed, and did the testing and attention to fine details and usability. Together we make a nice team. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Help! I've got Windows 8 and I miss my Start menu! ( Ars Technica 2013-01-14 )

Start is back! ( The Verge 2013-01-14 )

Head to head review of five Start Menu restorers: Start8, StartIsBack, Classic Shell, Pokki and RetroUI at Ars Technica. The 2nd link at The Verge is a commentary on that review.

See my reply over in the "Deepr Impressions" thread...

--JorgeA

There was another review posted a month ago ...

9 Windows Start menus for Windows 8 ( InfoWorld 2012-12-12 )

This one covers: Classic Shell, Start8, StartMenu8, Power8, Pokki, StartIsBack, RetroUI, ViStart, and StartW8.

A little less in-depth compared to the previously mentioned review, and no winners are picked. Just a broad overview.

• 2 weeks later...

RetroUI for Windows 8 gets updated; new menu and 'SuperSize' Start screen ( NeoWin 2013-02-04 )

An update to one of the more interesting Start Menu restorers. Worth a read and definitely watch their video. Ignore the NeoWhiners who can't stomach any customization that affects their Romper Room Tiles interface. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

One more Start Menu from Poland:

http://www.sgjps.com/en/produkty/StartForDesktop

This link is incorrect.

English version: http://www.sgjps.com/en/project/StartForDesktop

I was wondering if or when another start menu might be discovered. Good find SGJ. Did you happen across StartForDesktop or were you looking for start menu's?

regards,

Laurence