Windows Xp installation on an HP 8740w elite book

Hi,

I have a my brother in laws HP Elite Book 8740w Mobile workstation, I have been trying to install XP from flash for a few days, and keep getting the dreaded bsod STOP 0X0000007B (0XF78D2524) (0XC00000034) (0X00000000, 0X000000000). I believe this is related to XP not being able to find the SATA drive.

So heres a description of what I have done so far I used Nlite to slip stream the unpacked chipset drivers downloaded off HP support site and then used wintoflash to make a bootable usb drive result fail.

Next I created a flash usb xp without drivers and used F6 floppy downloaded from intel and installed driver at this point from a usb floppy result fail.

he wants it installing in ahci mode so I know SATA drivers are required I installed windows 7 and it identified the driver as intel 5 series 6 port sata controller so I know/think this is the right driver and is included in hp downloaded chipset drivers as win 7 shows this

im at a loss and not sure what else to do?

its the core I7 version 4gb ram 250gb toshiba sata drive

Please help a first time poster I have gone insane

PS. I read somwhere that the usb 3 controller driver not being part of xp could also cause problems any thoughts?

Edited by dencorso
To make it comply with Rule #12

First thing:

DON'T PANIC

(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters :))

Wintoflash has it's own forum, here:

http://wintoflash.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

If the issue is with wintoflash, you might get better asistance there, but from what you write the issue is with installing the SATA/AHCI drivers, right?

If you have a setting in the BIOS for "IDE compatibility mode" (or something like that, try installing without the SATA/AHCI drivers, this way you will have a way to check if *something else* is missing/wrong in the procedure.

There are ways to install the SATA/AHCI drivers later, see:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

The USB 3.0 port should not be an issue, if you can acceess the USB floppy and the USB stick and you actually installed the XP, but on reboot you had the 0x000007b

If you have a Windows 7 (or any other windows NT) already installed, you can use it (from a fully integrated with drivers source) to make a "local" install with WINNT32.EXE, this would exclude any use of the USB bus during install.

Generally speaking SATA driver versioning can be confusing, is it possible that you supplied the "wrong" drivers by mistake?

When EXACTLY are you getting the 0x0000007b STOP ERROR?

You can use this thread (and linked to video) as reference:

Consider also the idea, also suggested in the mentioned thread, to integrate the drivers pack.

jaclaz

Hi Jaclaz,

thanks for you response, the Bsod comes after loading the driver from floppy the screen changes to starting windows and 5 seconds late bsod 07

I will have to try every driver on the floppy as they are definitely the correct sata drivers for the computer as downloaded fromp HP

do i need the chipset drivers and the sata drivers?

thanks for you response, the Bsod comes after loading the driver from floppy the screen changes to starting windows and 5 seconds late bsod 07

I will have to try every driver on the floppy as they are definitely the correct sata drivers for the computer as downloaded fromp HP

do i need the chipset drivers and the sata drivers?

Yes/no, (cannot say).

As said I would try a "plain" install with the SATA in BIOS set to "IDE compatibility mode", first thing (i.e. "vanilla" source).

jaclaz

Hi bphipt,

On this machine the password is not stored in CMOS it's stored to a flash chip

Cheers

If I may, it is like having an used car with the hood locked. :ph34r:

If you have not BIOS access and something goes wrong there is no way you can fix it.

There are chip replacements to unlock, and for some models (with CMI) there are also unlocking programs/procedures, or at least - seemingly - a way, using HP original security tools to access most of the BIOS settings from the booted OS. (though I don't think we will talk of this on MSFN).

Your best option is still - as I see it - a fully integrated drivers pack.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

I have successfully installed windows 7 from flash on this machine so all is not entirely lost, but my brother in law wants xp I'm day off tomorrow so will try the fully integrated drivers pack

Cheers

Hey folks,

I have intergrated both the chipset complete driver pack and mass storage complete driver pack and guess what still getting the dread Bsod 07b I guess im probably going to be stuck with windows 7

One Question Windows 7 is installed at present could that have any effect on Bsod?

Regards

I have intergrated both the chipset complete driver pack and mass storage complete driver pack and guess what still getting the dread Bsod 07b I guess im probably going to be stuck with windows 7

Maybe it is an issue with the actual USB/wintoflash.

Read again my first post and try a "local" install using WINNT32.

One Question Windows 7 is installed at present could that have any effect on Bsod?

It may (because of the different partitioning convention used) but I doubt it, and anyway you would have not a 0x0000007b or you would have one in another "moment" of the install.

jaclaz

I'm installing from a flash drive though so need the use of USB don't I ?

NO.

You ALREADY have a 32 bit NT based system running on that machine.

NOTHING prevents you from using that NT based system (Windows 7) to access the files on the USB stick and copy them to the local hard disk, then, INSTEAD of booting the setup, you run the setup by using WINNT32.exe or

The issues may be depending on how EXACTLY is the hard disk partitioned AND you might want to have some provisions to not "get stuck" if the install - for any reason - fails.

Please describe EXACTLY how the internal hard disk is partitioned (a screenshot of the Wiondows 7 disk management would do).

And still, your description of what you are doing and of what happens is severely lacking DETAILS (that might make the difference).

Now that you have the drivers integrated, WHEN EXACTLY does the BSOD occur?

Please state the exact time with reference to the provided example video and describe EXACTLY what you see before the BSOD.

OR - better - try again with a "clean", "vanilla" source, if the behaviour is the same, then the issue is likely with the drivers, WHICH EXACT drivers were you using/found when trying with F6 (link please)?

Which EXACT make/model of USB floppy disk are you using?

Is it possible that this:

is related?

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

I am now not using the usb floppy, I have intergrated the complete chipset and mass storage drivers into the flash xp install using the complete driver packs as suggested, i boot from xp flash drive it loads all the integrated drivers says setup starting windows pauses 20 seconds and then it bsod 07b's

regards

Before I asked you to try telling me with reference to the video at which point you had the BSOD.

I cannot understand this:

the Bsod comes after loading the driver from floppy the screen changes to starting windows and 5 seconds late bsod 07

as well as I cannot understand

i boot from xp flash drive it loads all the integrated drivers says setup starting windows pauses 20 seconds and then it bsod 07b's

I know how it is difficult to communicate :) , but if on this side we do not understand EXACTLY what is happening, it is not "trying to help", it becomes "guessing game". :(

Anyway, it doesn't matter, as BOTH the F6 floppy and the integrated install failed (when initiated from USB - and it is is still possible that Winto Flash is part of the issue), what I suspect (though I have NO way unless I understand when EXACTLY happens the BSOD) is that the issue is with the actual USB bus and has nothing to do with chipset or SATA/AHCI.

A way to verify this is if the SAME (at the SAME exact moment) BSOD happens:

• with the F6 floppy
  • with the integrated drivers
  • with a "vanilla" source

If yes, you need to try ANOTHER thing.

I need to know EXACTLY how your hard disk is partitioned to help you try a "local" install.

If you could post a screenshot of the open disk management on the booted 7 would help.

If you could make a copy of the MBR with a disk editor or with HDhacker (you want to backup first sector of physicaldrive):

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

zip it, upload the archive to some free hosting sitte and post a link to it, it would be MUCH better.

Without this information I won't be able to give you any senceful suggestion on how EXACTLY trying this, as the risk is that if the install starts but does not succeed, you will have your Windows 7 not boting anymore, so it would be smart to have a procedure with a possible "way back".

jaclaz