Start Is Back - 2.1 release

Tihiy

Well I installed 8.1 and I can see a few improvements but sadly it has broken pretty much all the types of Customization we had for 8, but I did just try the latest Test 5 build on there with some semi success

2v2gs21.jpg

Most of the options are not working and some are missing, the shutdown button is gone, settings dont save the next time you open the properties, many bugs to be fixed but at least there is still hope, lets just hope BM can also find a way to bring back aero glass on 8.1 as well.

345hslu.jpg

It's better not to try test build on Windows 8.1 now because there are some critical issues on it. I'm waiting for humanangle to test right-click crash issue.

It's better not to try test build on Windows 8.1 now because there are some critical issues on it. I'm waiting for humanangle to test right-click crash issue.

Yeah I agree, I would not want anyone to try this on a machine with anything important on it they were not prepared to loose, that's why I do all my testing on a VM, TBH I was just bored after installing 8.1 and wanted to have a play with something lol

Installed SIB 2.1.1 and couldn't tell anything special about it yet. Perhaps it has fixed the problem with the icons messed up on the Start Menu. Not very sure, though.

Tihiy and MrGrim,

How long did it take you two to get Windows 8.1? It seems to be forever for me!

I wonder when it will finish this downloading. Or never will it!

Edit: remove attachment

Edited by Aloha

Installed SIB 2.1.1 and couldn't tell anything special about it yet. Perhaps it has fixed the problem with the icons messed up on the Start Menu. Not very sure, though.

Tihiy and MrGrim,

How long did it take you two to get Windows 8.1? It seems to be forever for me!

I wonder when it will finish this downloading. Or never will it!

I downloaded a torrent and it took a couple of hours.

Hi MrGrim,

On this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

When I choose English 32-bit (x86), the file I download is named as WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-32bit-English-X1899604.iso and it is bigger than the update I'm getting through Windows Store. It will take around 4 hours to finish downloading the ISO. I decided to get it in case the update doesn't work fine. Don't know why it's too slowly through the Store, only 6% complete so far.

PS. You seem to be very keen on dark themes!

Thanks for this! It's the best Start Menu replacement/enabler on Win8 I've tried. Any plans to add the start button to all taskbars in a multi-monitor setup? I've got three monitors, but it only shows up on the primary display. Which is expected as that is what Windows7 and previous do. But it sure would be convenient to have it on all displays.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked into DisplayFusion and UltraMon in the past, when Windows had even less multi-monitor support. :) They're great, but I've realized that my normal day-to-day workflow doesn't require most of their functionality, especially now that Windows has added taskbars to each monitor.

At this point, I simply am looking for a good start-menu replacement that will also replicate itself on each taskbar. I used ClassicShell for a while (which can do this), but, again, it has more than I need along with the fact that it isn't near as native a solution as StartIsBack. StartIsBack is perfect for my needs so far, and having it on every monitor would be icing on the cake. :)

Apologies for quoting both of the only posts I've made. But I've been wondering if this request has a better chance of being implemented in StartIsBack.Next? Without the reliance on the leftover code of Win8, perhaps there is?

I've been lurking on this topic, reading the posts, getting the updates, and SiB is indispensable to me at this point. Many, many thanks to Tihiy for this amazing app! I'm very glad it will continue on 8.1 as it would be quite difficult to use the Start Screen after SiB.

Curious, could you check the 8.1 msstyles for StartPanelCompositedBottom::StartPanelPriv and if it exists use the images there?

The class could be added back as class # 279 which would make theming easier than having a secondary msstyles.

As you can see in the status bar here I've added back the class: http://i.cubeupload.com/tDAya6.png

Hi MrGrim,

On this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

When I choose English 32-bit (x86), the file I download is named as WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-32bit-English-X1899604.iso and it is bigger than the update I'm getting through Windows Store. It will take around 4 hours to finish downloading the ISO. I decided to get it in case the update doesn't work fine. Don't know why it's too slowly through the Store, only 6% complete so far.

PS. You seem to be very keen on dark themes!

I started downloading the 64-bit version at work yesterday, and when I left for the day 6.5 hours later, it was still estimating 1.5 hours to go. I just left it running and went home. When I got home, I downloaded both the 32- and 64-bit versions in less than 35 minutes.

When I got home, I downloaded both the 32- and 64-bit versions in less than 35 minutes.

Wow, it's very fast, indeed. I feel as if it wanted me to change my mind and install W8.1 with the iso file instead of updating through the store. I'll be patient and wait for the download to be finished. No matter how long it will take, I don't mind at all.

OK, won't disturb this topic by talking about W8.1 anymore. I promise!!! :lol: