Skype 6.1 on Windows 2000

ppgrainbow

Good news to report...the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight (version 5.1) works without problems now. :thumbup However, for some reason, I still can't get Skype 6.1 to work as I'm still getting Runtime errors. :(

@tomasz86, I sure hope that everything will improve after you move out next week. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

@Tommy, I will try this out in a VMware virtual machine soon to see what happens. We'll probably investigate to see what DLL is causing Windows 2000 to not boot correctly with daily 2013-01-11 update for UURollup v11.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Good news to report...the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight (version 5.1) works without problems now. :thumbup However, for some reason, I still can't get Skype 6.1 to work as I'm still getting Runtime errors. :(

@tomasz86, I sure hope that everything will improve after you move out next week. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

@Tommy, I will try this out in a VMware virtual machine soon to see what happens. We'll probably investigate to see what DLL is causing Windows 2000 to not boot correctly with daily 2013-01-11 update for UURollup v11.

That would be great! We could use another tester. I think I've been the only one really testing the new versions of UURollup these days. XD As for Skype, now that you installed UURollup, reinstall Skype. It might make a difference. I know that it works since I use Skype all the time to talk to my girlfriend.

Unfortunately Silverlight 5.1 still doesn't work if you use Korean or Chinese locale. You can test it just by enabling it in the Regional Options, rebooting and then trying to open a Silverlight based web content (you can switch the locale back later).

I can confirm that Skype 6.1 doesn't work here either. I get the same error message as ppgrainbow. Skype 6.0 does work but sending messages is broken (already mentioned before).

@Tommy This seems to be a very nice way to uninstall updates when the system doesn't boot. Frankly speaking, I didn't know about it :blushing:

You're right!! I actually thought I had Skype 6.1! D:

Well, as mentioned before, Skype 6.0 does work slightly except it won't send message. I'll also try Skype 6.1 out and see what happens.

@tomasz86 Wow, that's cool though, that means I taught you something! Hope this comes in handy when uninstalling a bad update and not having to reinstall Windows again. :)

Edited by Tommy

Unfortunately Silverlight 5.1 still doesn't work if you use Korean or Chinese locale. You can test it just by enabling it in the Regional Options, rebooting and then trying to open a Silverlight based web content (you can switch the locale back later).

I can confirm that Skype 6.1 doesn't work here either. I get the same error message as ppgrainbow. Skype 6.0 does work but sending messages is broken (already mentioned before).

@Tommy This seems to be a very nice way to uninstall updates when the system doesn't boot. Frankly speaking, I didn't know about it :blushing:

I don't either. That's why I'm staying on the 2013-01-05 update to UURollup v11 until further notice. The English locale works properly under Silverlight 5.1 and without any problems.

I was also wondering if there are any hacks and workarounds to make Skype 6.1 work under Win2k. If there are or aren't right now, let me know.

I wondering if developers might have removed the remains of the dead support code that made Skype work under Windows 2000 after Skype 6.0. I'm also wondering if developers compiled Skype 6.1 with Visual Studio 2012 or not. I sure hope that this is not the case.

As far as I know Skype 4.2.0.187 is the last version to officially support Windows 2000 and Skype 5.3.0.111 is the last version to fully work. Unofficially, the last stable versions of Skype shown to partially work are versions 5.10 and 6.0 as you pointed out here.

Edited by ppgrainbow

I really don't know what they used to compile Skype 6.1 to be honest, that's a little bit beyond my expertise. In case you don't know, tomasz86 uses blackwingcat's kernel extension in his UURollup packs. So the one to speak to here about getting compatibility issues resolved would be blackwingcat himself. He's the one that got 6.0 to somewhat work and I told tomasz about it and so he put the new extensions in his pack. I believe it is included in 12-15-12 and above. Skype 6.0 does work nearly flawlessly except for the fact that you can't send text messages for whatever reason. So it might be worth sending blackwingcat a message and ask him if there's a way he can get Skype 6.1 to work.

Let me ask this. What does Skype 6.1 offer above 6.0?

I really don't know what they used to compile Skype 6.1 to be honest, that's a little bit beyond my expertise. In case you don't know, tomasz86 uses blackwingcat's kernel extension in his UURollup packs. So the one to speak to here about getting compatibility issues resolved would be blackwingcat himself. He's the one that got 6.0 to somewhat work and I told tomasz about it and so he put the new extensions in his pack. I believe it is included in 12-15-12 and above. Skype 6.0 does work nearly flawlessly except for the fact that you can't send text messages for whatever reason. So it might be worth sending blackwingcat a message and ask him if there's a way he can get Skype 6.1 to work.

Let me ask this. What does Skype 6.1 offer above 6.0?

I'm gonna try to ask blackwingcat via notes this weekend to see if there is a way to get Skype 6.1 working under Windows 2000. :)

On my environment Skype 6.1 occurs Runtime Error dialog.

and I tried to create environment applied UURollup2 (20130105ver) but it occurs same error dlg.

So I want to know difference the dlgbox shown or not..

( On my environment v6.0 works perfectly. )

I'm gonna try to ask blackwingcat via notes this weekend to see if there is a way to get Skype 6.1 working under Windows 2000. :)

@blackwingcat I've just uploaded a new daily release of UURollup (130121) with the new shell32.dll. The buggy file was included in the previous one. I also only get the Runtime Error box when trying to run Skype 6.1...

BUT

Skype 6.0 seems to work OK! I can send messages now.

Thx. I installed it on VMWare environment .

But it also shows Runtime Error 217 at 0053CE7D. :(

@blackwingcat I've just uploaded a new daily release of UURollup (130121) with the new shell32.dll. The buggy file was included in the previous one. I also only get the Runtime Error box when trying to run Skype 6.1...

BUT

Skype 6.0 seems to work OK! I can send messages now.

Runtime error 217 at 0053CE7D report.

TypeLib GUID {B9AA1F11-F480-4054-A84E-B5D9277E40A8}

it returns 0x8002802A by oleaut32.dll in StringFromGUID2 step.

0053D200 50 push eax

0053D201 8B442410 mov eax,[esp+10h]

0053D205 50 push eax

0053D206 8B434C mov eax,[ebx+4Ch]

0053D209 50 push eax

0053D20A 8B00 mov eax,[eax]

0053D20C FF5038 call [eax+38h]

0053D20F E86C080000 call SUB_L0053DA80 <- eax=8002802A

0053D214 EB0C jmp L0053D222

SUB_L0053DA80:

test eax,80000000h

jz L0053DA8C

call SUB_L0053DA64 <- raise exception.

L0053DA8C:

retn

SUB_L0053DA64:

push ebx

mov ebx,eax

push ebx

push 00000000h

xor ecx,ecx

mov dl,01h

mov eax,[L0053A8C0]

call SUB_L0053D8F8

call SUB_L004075AC <-

pop ebx

retn

SUB_L004075AC:

or eax,eax

jnz L004075BA

mov eax,000000D8h

call SUB_L00407CC0

:

push ecx

push 00000001h

push 0EEDFADEh <- if occurs exception 0xEEDFADE

mov eax,esp

call edx

add esp,00000030h

L00407612:

jmp [L01636014]

retn

I think that it comes from the different of some components installed.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{B9AA1F11-F480-4054-A84E-B5D9277E40A8}

Skype.exe

it is created when skype.exe is starting.

But fail to create them on my environment.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone shows me the way to create VMWare Image, which Skype 6.1 can't recv message ? :(

My English environment only shows Runtime error.

I'll try to prepare such an image. The problem is not about receiving but about sending messages. Nothing happens when you click ENTER.

Edit: I've just send you the file on Twitter. Please check your PM.

Edited by tomasz86

Thx tomasz86

But on your Image Skype 6.1 crashes Runtime Error same as me.

Your version is v6.0

I find that you can send message facemark only .

Is there anyone can run Skype 6.1 without Runtime Error ?

Is there anyone shows me the way to create VMWare Image, which Skype 6.1 can't recv message ? :(

My English environment only shows Runtime error.

I'll try to prepare such an image. The problem is not about receiving but about sending messages. Nothing happens when you click ENTER.

Edit: I've just send you the file on Twitter. Please check your PM.

I have to give you a no as well. 6.0 doesn't send messages, I can receive them though. 6.1 installs but I get a runtime error as well.