Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

d) it is a total race

Okay, I've managed to successfully replicate your DWM2DLLInjector in .NET.

Restarting, or rather, waiting for the system to restart the DWM was the tricky part.

You were 100% correct about that "race" metaphor, the time frame for correct injection is as short as can be.

However, now I have a working code to mess with. Will see what can be done.

So, that's on their "un-feature" list too now, isn't it? Huh...

Can't say I blame 'em for trying to clean their stuff out, what I think shouldn't have been done is the removal of Glass in the first place.

And since they seem to be carrying plans to return the Start Button (but heard a rumor, that not the menu itself, so where will it direct you to? A Start Screen?) in 8.1, why clean-up on Glass now, and not return it too? If they say returning Start Button is due to Customer Demand, it would've been a logical move. (Yeah, right...)

I agree with you. I basically call Windows 8 RTM the Release Preview with poorly removed glass, a new theme, and final Modern apps. If you ask me, Windows 8.1 SHOULD be Windows 8 RTM in the first place.

Anyway, if their plan is not to restore but to completely remove Glass, then both your project and SD's WB8 are going to have A LOT more customers, so brace yourself :)

I know BigMuscle will try to work on making Glass work on Windows 8.1 at least when the beta launches at BUILD, but I wonder if Window Blinds 8 will even WORK in Windows 8.1, and if Starblinds will even work on it. BigMuscle, if you ask me, you better start advertising your product. Here is the search results when I searched "Aero Glass for Windows 8" with the results mentioning your product squared (Circling did not work well and I do not count the related searches as a mention).

Here's a aero shot of a Vista Se7en modded theme for 8..DPyes.gif

How were you able to port a Windows 7 theme to WIndows 8?

post-373381-0-04408000-1372083108_thumb.

Edited by WindowsOS

WindowsOS, to learn more on modding themes for Windows take a look here ==> http://creativx.net/...b-tutorial.html

I find using the programs website to be a bit more useful. There are maps for every bit of the system and people can ask for help from others as well.

http://vistastylebuilder.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0

xXiNightXx

Just wanted to complement you on your aero 8 theme.

I use it all the time, so many thanks.

Edited by Dreamweaver01

DwmGlass.dll not working for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview

incompatible:

THEMECPL.DLL

SHELL32.DLL

Installed lastest AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for Windows 8 64-bit

Updated DirectX with DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (9.29.1974.0)

Edited by ace2

This utility is not intended for any Windows Server, it is for Windows 8 RTM only. However, themecpl.dll and shell32.dll are not important part for glass, they are for customizing control panel only.

How were you able to port a Windows 7 theme to WIndows 8?

Windows Style Builder Beta 1.5.4 onwards supports 7 to 8 theme porting. Either that or by recreating it manually.

From what I saw bigmuscle post, the current version won't work on the preview without more modifications.

With the installer being a total *****, I think many are still fighting with it.

I gave up for the time being, if M$ is so set against me installing win8.1, I'll stick to my win7 for a while longer.

Themes patching/circumvention works fine with 8.1. Neat.

Also I don't know why Microsoft did this, but text glow no longer works in non-Ribbon windows at all. Works fine everywhere else like it used to, just not in non-Ribbon windows :S

Edited by PandaX

This utility is not intended for any Windows Server, it is for Windows 8 RTM only. However, themecpl.dll and shell32.dll are not important part for glass, they are for customizing control panel only.

But it does, i am testing server 2012 (not R2) since the start and i am using aero glass since about one month.

Funny to see by the way a server edition with aero :)

I don't think it's related. My windows does not freeze (I can hear skype/etc logging in, and power button works just fine to shut it down. pressing random keys gives the familiar bell. I just can't see what's happening since the screen is black.

I also don't use sleep at all, my computer either run, or is restarting. or powered down.

re-enabling UEFI secure boot makes windows boot just fine. it only happens when the DWMGlass DLL is loaded.

I don't use custom theme (regular windows 8 theme, no uXpatch) (is it required?)

In such case, post your debug.log (unless you've already post it and I overlooked it) and possibly minidump.dmp (for RC3 only). Maybe something causes crash or deadlock in your DWM.

Sorry BM, I've been out of it lately. Will try RC3 and post the relevant stuff soon. :)

EDIT: So far, it worked on the first try!

Screenshot%20%2817%29.png

I'm going to go stare at the changelog very hard... :P

Edited by Tarzikaf