Aero Glass for Win8 RC4

bigmuscle

1) that sort of white glow behind the title text of windows, which makes it easy to read the title text despite transparency in Win 7

2) rounded corners for windows

3) shadow round edge of window

4) glowing buttons (close, minimise, maximise)

Can someone please tell me which of the above really exists in a theme? There must be a theme which has glowing buttons at least, right? If there is such a theme, could you please share the download link?

I can guarantee 100% that 1+3 are. I have seen a picture earlier in the thread which points to 4 also being in the style. 2 may be possible, but makes things harder for bigmuscle, and it sounds like he won't support it anyway. Maybe down the line someone else will play with the code.

"I am not absolutely sure, but it seems that rounded corners comes from visual theme too. At least, the theme Win7forWin8 somehow achieves rounded corners on taskbar preview windows. (Therefore, it generates more vertices than my AeroGlass expect and it crashes). But I won't add them to my utility, it would require complicated vertex buffer modification and I have even the problem to modify vertex buffer to extend rendered edges by blur radius :-D "

Does anybody here have a link for that theme called "Win7forWin8"? I do want to try it, but googling doesn't yield any usable results :\

Thanks ;3

For me, it works pretty good. Sometimes, it crashes on activation, leaving me with a black screen and mouse pointer. But not that often, so it's really nice for a preview version! Additionally, I tuned down the opacity to 80, because 170 is waaaay to less ;)

I also want to thank you for your work. I'm a programmer by myself, and I know that it can sometimes be really hard to get good feedback out of the mass that often only wants "Aero Glass" to work, and then whines because it doesn't at the first try. I really appreciate your work!

Thank you, and I hope that this will someday reach a really stable state. ;3

~Peacem4k3r

Ohh, I found a massive bug.

With your Loader enabled, the mouse stutters alot in D3D games. Its like its trying to get to its old position when I'm trying to move it. (This happens f.e. in BF3, LeagueOfLegends; D3D games)

~Naschkatze

Ohh, I found a massive bug.

With your Loader enabled, the mouse stutters alot in D3D games. Its like its trying to get to its old position when I'm trying to move it. (This happens f.e. in BF3, LeagueOfLegends; D3D games)

~Naschkatze

Same here. I have to turn off the beautiful eye candy to play with a good framerate and non-laggy mouse. Whatever bigmuscle is trying his best. Lets just wait for the full release. He's generous enough to let us use it before the release! :thumbup

MS disables Aero Glass when you play games. I think he will also try to implement this.

No that's not the issue, it's 99.999% likely the layered windows. Every render to the screen will have to be composited to the desktop with 99% transparency and alpha blended to everything behind it. The glass in the non-client area shouldn't have any effect on your game, since it's only rendered when it needs to be recomposited (something behind it changes). Aero glass and desktop composition is actually very seldom disabled when you play games, I've actually only seen a couple that do, and it's usually at the request of the application.

AeroGlass since v0.4 does not blend layered windows into desktop when alpha value is 254 - it just simply draws the window and blending is rejected (yeah, but the content behind it is still being redrawn). Also, when window does not have a border (which should be the case of any full screen app such as games), it is not set as layered. It brings me an idea that it can have problem when the application creates the normal window with the border and later changes it to borderless fullscreen. In such case, the window would be layered.

MagicAndre1981: Up to Windows 7, Desktop Composition is disabled when some application requires it. But since Windows 8, it is not possible to disable Desktop Composition and it is always enabled.

AeroGlass since v0.4 does not blend layered windows into desktop when alpha value is 254 - it just simply draws the window and blending is rejected (yeah, but the content behind it is still being redrawn). Also, when window does not have a border (which should be the case of any full screen app such as games), it is not set as layered. It brings me an idea that it can have problem when the application creates the normal window with the border and later changes it to borderless fullscreen. In such case, the window would be layered.

MagicAndre1981: Up to Windows 7, Desktop Composition is disabled when some application requires it. But since Windows 8, it is not possible to disable Desktop Composition and it is always enabled.

So, does that mean that our problem is theoretically solvable? Currently, I have a small script running that automatically disables your loader when I'm switching to a fullscreen application, but it doesn't always solve the problem.

For example, I start Battlefield 3 (or any other fullscreen D3D application), and your loader gets closed by my script. Then I have a somewhat 50/50 chance that the mouse jitter stops. I don't know why this is the case, but I would love to assist you in troubleshooting this problem ;)

Peacem4k3r

So, does that mean that our problem is theoretically solvable? Currently, I have a small script running that automatically disables your loader when I'm switching to a fullscreen application, but it doesn't always solve the problem.

For example, I start Battlefield 3 (or any other fullscreen D3D application), and your loader gets closed by my script. Then I have a somewhat 50/50 chance that the mouse jitter stops. I don't know why this is the case, but I would love to assist you in troubleshooting this problem ;)

Peacem4k3r

In my case, the only thing that was working in Battlefield 3 was to restart my PC, even if the loader already was disabled.

Greetings from Germany

Hi bigmuscle

The thin white border I believe you are talking about, it's alfa value on the active border/window is 255 and 254 on the inactive border/window.

I don't know if this may help you.

I would like to know if your program needs/use this?

If so, and you don't have another way to create areo transparent+ blur, I believe I must adjust my own custom theme.

Regards Luke7