Unofficial XP SP4?

bizzybody

I was hoping Microsoft would put together a "Security Rollup Package" for XP like they did for NT4 shortly before ending support. The SRP contained most of the updates released after SP6 but wasn't large enough to warrant being called a Service Pack. (IIRC some called it SP6a.)

What's been released for XP between SP3 and now is huge and a real PITA to have to download or use Autopatcher or WSUS Offline. Even on a decently fast system it can take nearly two hours to install all the updates. Having it all in one big lump that can easily be slipstreamed would be very nice.

I've been working on a script which at the end should make possible adding new updates to Service Packs. My main target is of course Windows 2000 but it shouldn't be very difficult to modify it a little bit and use for Windows XP and 2003 too (at least the x86 editions).

Another possibility is to prepare an update rollup which is much easier than compiling a new Service Pack.

Edited by tomasz86

It's quite simple. If you have an SP0 disk slipstream SP3 with nLite. Exit nLite and make a couple of copies, burn a couple of copies using the make ISO task. This is now your untouched source.

Next go to my site http://xdot.tk/updates.html and download the UDC zip file. Choose extract here if you have WinRAR or 7-Zip. Double click the batch file and all the high-priority updates from SP3 till today will download. If you want IE8 instead of IE6, follow the instructions on the page.

Now simply add all those updates to the Hotfix, Add-ons and Update Packs section of nLite.

nLite can do much more if you feel like messing with it. It can add drivers for your computer, it can add silent installed programs called add-ons. It can tweak your system, add unattended settings and more.

http://www.nliteos.com/

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/89-nlite/

Add-ons - http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/132-application-add-ons/

Add-ons - http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Add-ons - http://www.winaddons.com/

@ Slipstreaming isn't an ideal solution. Sometimes you get an old computer with Windows already installed which hasn't been updated for a LONG time. I had such a situation some time ago and it took a whole day to install SP3 and all the remaining updates from WU. Of course it was just a Pentium III with a slow HDD but still...

From what I read, I agree with tomasz86 that the OP wants a way to either create a new SP with everything in it up to today, or have a rollup package with everything in it after SP3 up to today. Yes -X-, he mentioned slipstreaming, and yes, nLite is quite capable of adding all the updates as you described, as is RVMi for that matter. And your solution is very flexible since it allows you to pick and choose among which updates to include to fit your particular circumstances and preferences. But wouldn't it be easier, and probably faster, even using nLite, if you only had to to add one or two items rather than the many, many items that the method you described requires? And as tomasz86 points out, if such a package existed it could be used on a live system which would make it even more useful. Until such a package can be created, if ever, and if the OP would be satisfied with a solution that is only appropriate to be used to create a new install source using nLite or RVMi, then he might want to investigate the update packs provided by either user_hidden or OnePiece/nonno fabio that are described and can be found either at RyanVM's forum, or at Wincert. Other update packs can be found by searching the net, some in various languages, and there are various tools available to modify the packs to suit your needs, or even make your own pack, but further discussion is beyond the scope of what is appropriate for this post.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Both a "one shot" package to update a live XP SP3 system and the fully integrated disc for a clean install would be ideal. I've used nLite and vLite several times to build machine specific install discs so the scripts etc to add in all the post SP3 updates will be useful, thanks.

Once in a while I still run into XP boxes running the RTM release. Those take a long time to update, SP2, SP3 then everything else, plus all the non-hotfix updates of IE, Media player etc. Just one of the "joys" of an area where most people still have dialup, if they even have an internet connection.

Once in a while I still run into XP boxes running the RTM release. Those take a long time to update, SP2, SP3 then everything else, plus all the non-hotfix updates of IE, Media player etc. Just one of the "joys" of an area where most people still have dialup, if they even have an internet connection.

Service Packs are cumulative. No need to install any previous versions :angel

Also service packs usually contains (replace) also most hotfixes by request created before the service pack release. And those need more testing as they aren't fully tested by MS.

...and there are only a HANDFULL of the -X- Updates that need "special handling". Move those to "elsewhere", get the "originals", and run a simple "for-loop" script to install them on the running system.

Note: "Special Handling" means any CAB files that are built, SOME of which all you need to do is EXTRACT and use the Command inside the "INI". Others (eg MediaPlayer) need re-downloaded only and placed into the Folder. There have already been one or two "loop" scripts presented for that by me, -X-, and others. ;)

Service Packs are cumulative. No need to install any previous versions :angel

Not on a running XP system. Before installing SP3, SP1a or SP2 needs to be installed.

Not on a running XP system. Before installing SP3, SP1a or SP2 needs to be installed.

Right. My mistake :blushing:

I'm wondering why it's not allowed. Do you know anything specific about it? I think I'll try to modify the update.inf and try to install it in XP RTM and see what happens.

Slipstreaming SP3 directly on ANY previous SP level of XP source, including RTM, will work, though vinifera is correct that the fewer "levels" of SP slipstreaming that have been done is probably better. -X- is also correct that on a running system, you need to already have either SP1a or SP2 already installed. I don't now why.

Cheers and Regards