Running Explorer as TrustedInstaller

fdv

How to.

Hi all, this is inspired from a thread a while back.

I recently needed to run some utils including Process Explorer while elevated and decided to finally put up a quick how-to on running Explorer while impersonating TI. Maybe it might be useful to some folks. Much credit to Joakim and the guys in that thread!

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know how to temporarily change the service startup type for msmpsvc (Microsoft Antimalware Service) via the registry or otherwise?

Everything I've tried gets access denied. Microsoft made some changes to the protection scheme for MSE. Running Regedit as TrustedInstaller doesn't work.

Edited by click-click

It's sort of a longshot, but I bet it'll work right!

Do it on the cold system, from a special linux cd: use this (PCRegedit), which image is findable here: PCRegedit.iso

Of course, the instructions I pointed you to are for another reg mod, not the one you want to do, but it's just for you to get the gist of how to work with it. While working on the cold system isn't quite confortable, it should just work. Now, to get back to the previous state, running regedit as TrustedInstaller, on the hot system, may suffice (then again, it may not, but it's worth trying).

On 3/1/2016 at 3:05 PM, dencorso said:

It's sort of a longshot, but I bet it'll work right!

Do it on the cold system, from a special linux cd: use this (PCRegedit), which image is findable here: PCRegedit.iso

Of course, the instructions I pointed you to are for another reg mod, not the one you want to do, but it's just for you to get the gist of how to work with it. While working on the cold system isn't quite confortable, it should just work. Now, to get back to the previous state, running regedit as TrustedInstaller, on the hot system, may suffice (then again, it may not, but it's worth trying).

wow , awesome way to regediting from unbooted windows