Can't get user to Auto login with XP Home

figarow

Under the "users" tab i have Administrator, guest and "user". I just want "user" to automatically login when windows restarts. I have selected "user" from the autologin dropdown box and set it to active, however it still goes to the login screen and not straight through to windows desktop. It would also be handy if the Administrator (named "Owner" for unknown reason) was not visible on the login screen, unticking active does not help. I'm testing in virtual machine after many attempts i'm just about beating my head on the keyboard, appreciate any and all help.

OS = XP Home

Edited by figarow

Here's how to hide the admin account without disabling it...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Administrator"=dword:00000000

and I've made it into an addon Administrator_HideAdmi_Registry_TWEAKS_True_AddOn.cab with DX Tool.

I'm not sure why it's not auto login in. It appears to me you did everything correctly. Can you attach your last session.ini and your last session_u.ini BUT FIRST, FROM LAST SESSION_U, REMOVE YOUR CD KEY AND REPLACE YOUR USER ACCOUNT NAME WITH "USER" IF YOU WANT TO HIDE THAT PART?

I've made it into an addon

I just tried to use your addon and it didn't work. Not sure what i've done wrong. When it asked me to add the addon file i navigated to where i unzipped the file and it only saw 1 file so added it.

I just tried to attach both session ini's but only one of them is in the ini format the other file is not recognized by windows and couldn't attach to this site so i opened it up and saved as .txt

Last Session (2013.04.13-11.27_u.ini

Last Session (2013.04.13-11.27.txt

Never mind about that add-on though your not supposed to uncab it. You add it as it is. I was laying down and got to thinking that you are using XP Home. Administrator should not be in the welcome screen. It's only available in safe mode.

So I don't know for sure how that part of unattended really works on nLite when using XP Home.

I think we should wait for someone that has used XP Home to chime in.

You should edit your first post in the full editor and add XP Home to the end of your title.

Edited by -X-

It would also be handy if the Administrator (named "Owner" for unknown reason) was not visible on the login screen, unticking active does not help.

You are probably retrying and retrying with a same set of files. Or the attempt is not done with an original cd.

Retry with the original and it should work. If you want to, load ONLY the Last session (rename last session_u.ini so it's not associated with the last session.ini).

Owner you see is not the administrator, it's an account you added in a previous session but nLite doesn't show it as it is not supposed to be there (nLite assumes the source is MS original) and it is not in the _u file either. So the whole users thing fails. It's a known bug.

Never mind about that add-on though your not supposed to uncab it.

Ok , thanks for your help thus far appreciate it.

Retry with the original and it should work.

Tried that already, deleted all files from cd folder, copied files from xp home to folder, slipstreamed sp3 and re-added my settings manually but it still says it. I even deleted all the sessions before hand. Maybe i have a faulty install? I might reinstall and give it another whirl.

Reinstall XP or nLite? I don't think either will work. I still say it has to do with XP Home. Rhetorical question... Why is administrator on the welcome screen on XP Home?

EDIT: I bet this will work though it doesn't solve the mystery... In the Users tab, uncheck active for administrator.

BTW, you only added XP Home to the end of the OP. You should add it to the end of the title also.

Edited by -X-

add it to the end of the title also.

Done

EDIT: I bet this will work though it doesn't solve the mystery... In the Users tab, uncheck active for administrator.

Nope doesn't. One of the first things i tried. I even thought to make my user "Owner" and gave that a go but it gave me "user" instead....weird.

Ok here is what i've just done. I uninstalled nlite. I deleted the nlite folder "program files/nlite". I then reinstalled nlite, and created an iso with only one user called "user". Yet still once installed shows "Owner" & "user" on the login screen meaning i can't log straight in. See new session files attached.

Is administrator also on the welcome screen this time?

Also, I don't see a new last session set.

Are you using a password with user?

Edited by -X-

Either

-keep it that way and delete the "Owner" account after install, then your only account apart of the built in "Administrator"will autologin

or

-rename Administrator as "Owner" in nLite, that will keep nLite from creating an "owner" account by default which I suspect it does as it is an obligation of XP Home to have an account aside the Administrator. nLite should at least show that account but it does not.

Is administrator also on the welcome screen this time? Answered

Also, I don't see a new last session set.

Are you using a password with user?

Open the ISO with WinRAR or 7-Zip and you can extract the last sessions. They are in the root of the ISO. Also a copy is also place in nLite/Presets.

I found a copy of XP Home and want to replicate what you are doing.

Edited by -X-