asus bios update

gelapir

Hello Friends,

I need you advise and help:

i have asus laptop k55a series and i would to flash my bios i have new bios update downloaded from the asus web site, also have bootable usb.

to update bios is very specific and need more careful so for that i need ur help.

Thanks in advanced.

Fair warning! The link given indicates Windows Flash Utilities! Flashing BIOS from Windows is unsafe! Best to attempt it in Safe Mode or you'll brick the PC (new doorstop).

Now I must say that I do flash under Windows 7 when it's a better motherboard with 2 BIOS chips, I tried even to brick some motherboards and could not brick it at all (that was with Gigabyte mobos).

Two $5 doorstops made just last weekend. Dell's - the first doorstop due to the Dell BIOS Update run on the OEM XP (not Safe Mode). Both E521's - original and Backup Mobo - Clear CMOS Jumper does just that all right - resets the whole shebang to Disabled so no USB Keyboard to even Reset Defaults. Have yet to attempt an Add-In PCI PS/2 Card (to be found/purchased).

Trust me - if you can't do it Pure DOS with NO Memory Manager, do it under Windows in Safe mode with NO running Services or Apps. PERIOD or you risk a brick.

PuntoMX isn't just "lucky" - NORMALLY a dual-bios will keep you out of trouble. I have seen where even that isn't totally failsafe. One wrong operation and you have a $5 doorstop. Google

failed bios update dual

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/55/tech_081226_dualbios.htm

There have, however, been reported failures. Also note that Gigabyte has the patent on this.

PuntoMX isn't just "lucky" - NORMALLY a dual-bios will keep you out of trouble. I have seen where even that isn't totally failsafe. One wrong operation and you have a $5 doorstop. Google

failed bios update dual

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/55/tech_081226_dualbios.htm

There have, however, been reported failures. Also note that Gigabyte has the patent on this.

I might be lucky indeed, but I failed to brick any of 3 Gigabytes and MSI motherboards (MSI has 2 BIOS chips as well for example). I just wonder how some one can screw up 2 BIOS codes; looks more like an hardware failure to me :huh: .

By the way, if possible I update the BIOS from USB with the BIOS/uEFI tool when the PC starts up; most new motherboards have that any way and it works great.

First one is easy to find - google

bios update "failure! failure! failure!"

Dimension E521 (or C521 basically the same MoBo). Second one is

dimension bios update "keyboard error"

Note that this is when you have USB-only (no PS/2), which in my book is INSANE because you're left with no options!

Basically it's the POS Phoenix (actually AWARD!) BIOS Updates done via Windows. Trust me, horror stories about this. I've flashed many a BIOS (DOS Floppy) without a problem until this stupid stuff. Two doorstops...

The REASON to update the BIOS was because the latest one allows for 8GB RAM (4 slots) + Newer AM2 CPU's (up to X2 6400+ w/good heat sink). Guess I'll be waiting for my SS Retirement to come in July and just build my own. No more Dell, thank you - seems they have gone downhill (look it up). Local Used PC store has three similar but only TWO SATA (instead of the FOUR on E521) at... $130 each. So, yeah, I give fair warning.

Patent on what? :unsure:

It's WHAT, more than ten years that third party "Bios savior" (watch it it may be a Copyright) exists:

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior.html

http://www.realworldtech.com/ioss-bios-savior/

And there are patents by Asustek, Hon-Hai (Foxconn), Inventec on similar approaches:

http://www.google.com/patents/US8205069

jaclaz

If flashing under Windows was so dangerous, they'd stop making it possible. After all, Bios updates are mostly needed in the first months a machine is out, and under warranty. I've flashed more than hundred Dells under Windows, only one ever froze.

If flashing under Windows was so dangerous, they'd stop making it possible. After all, Bios updates are mostly needed in the first months a machine is out, and under warranty. I've flashed more than hundred Dells under Windows, only one ever froze.

Sure :), but on a brand new machine (within the first few months) it is more likely that the Windows is "working", over the years, due to any number of reasons it is possible that something "goes wrong" in it, and the user may have each and every kind of half-@§§edly coded services or device drivers, automatic updates, background scanning or defragging, whatever.

Flashing under Windows is dangerous. (or at least it is more dangerous than under Dos).

If you prefer, flashing a BIOS under *any* multitasking OS is more dangerous than flashing it under *any* singletask OS.

The difference is in the "multi" , and that's exactly (in the "multi" part exceeding the "single") where ;) Murphy's Law waits patiently an occasion to prove itself right once again :ph34r:

jaclaz

Thank you, Jaclaz - and now to what I was talking about ---

(sigh...) E521/C521 specifically! Just allow Google to "suggest" and enter

e521 bios

and you WILL immediately find the Failure Links right at the top. Consistent MoBo bricks and replacements. I even found one where they replaced brand new MoBo THREE TIMES with the same Keyboard Failure - the TECHS! The WORKAROUND (buried in the deep dark recess if the WWW) was to IGNORE the stupid text about "Windows" and put it on a Bootable USB Stick/Floppy or Real Floppy (there IS a Floppy Header on them). BUT you had to have that ENABLED in the BIOS beforehand. And AGAIN, the SECOND MoBo automagically "lost" everything using the Clear CMOS jumper per their own instructions in the Service Manual. EVERYTHING is (apparently) "disabled" because NOTHING is recognized, not just "defaults" but DISABLED! And YES, remove/swap/reset - nada!

If I can update BIOS in No-Memory-Manager DOS I WILL do it to prevent any of the silly stuff. I have NEVER updated via Windows - NEVER if possible. Bad Ju-Ju! Please note that these BIOS actually are an "expandable" process (packed) and DO expand into - RAM! Now, lets have that "shuffled" into the Page File... Genius! MFLASH is inside it! The BIOS Update is not normal - Dell's "specialized package" method that can NOT be separated.

Sorry I even mentioned it... :blushing:

edit - for the record - First one is toast, second one even a PCI->PS2 may not save it since it NEEDS a Keyboard to even enter the BIOS...

Edited by submix8c

Sorry I even mentioned it... :blushing:

Not at all! Good info comes from these posts we make... I hope :yes: .

edit - for the record - First one is toast, second one even a PCI->PS2 may not save it since it NEEDS a Keyboard to even enter the BIOS...

get a few new flash chips, a flasher and replace the "bricked" ones. Thats how I did it for Y2K upgrades 14 years back, and ow man, did I brick a lot of Dell´s and HP´s. Those were the days (and my first home computer (MSX :ph34r: )).

get a few new flash chips, a flasher and replace the "bricked" ones. Thats how I did it for Y2K upgrades 14 years back, and ow man, did I brick a lot of Dell´s and HP´s. Those were the days (and my first home computer (MSX :ph34r: )).

The bad news :( being that I wasn't that much young (not even then :ph34r: ) the good news :yes: are that when the CIH/Chernobyl virus struck (you should remember it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIH_(computer_virus)

I saved quite a few motherboards by simply hot-swapping with a good "reference" BIOS chip.

This same approach should work still today....

jaclaz