asus bios update

gelapir

I saved quite a few motherboards by simply hot-swapping with a good "reference" BIOS chip.

This same approach should work still today....

Darn, yes, they were put on sockets (or in sockets later on)... I have my share of doing the hot-swap procedure as well.

OK, I've been busy a few days....

May I point out I am very familiar with "hot-swap" (older HP's in particular) using "near identical MoBo's". HOWEVER, please note that I would need -

1 - a Reference Chip (from where?)

2 - to de-solder the Chip(s) <-THAT will never happen

3 - possibly (if this is what you're referring to)) a Flasher Card "Kit" + Flash the Chip

Um... no thanks - they will stay bricked and, time permitting, get the $5 each from recycle. Final possibility is the battery (haven't bothered) for the "no keyboard" one.

Please note what I said about that particular Dell BIOS - I would need the "REAL" BIOS code, not the "dumbed down" one peovided in the "package". Do downloaded it, not what it is, "unpack" it (if you can, easily with e.g. WinRAR) and note that it is indeed NOT the full 512-kByte BIOS code. I DID, however, back up the REALLY OLD one (v1.1.2 that is NOT on Dell site) from the "totally dead" one using WinFlash before the "Error Error Error" and, being distracted (grandkids), didn't load it BACK in after the failure. :( Need I say more?

Jeez, guys, I didn't fall off the Intern Truck just yesterday... Bottom line, the C521/E521 BIOS were "poorly made" cross-breed mBTX (bass-ackwards) nVidia MoBo's...

Jeez, guys, I didn't fall off the Intern Truck just yesterday...

Surely not, but you just gracefully descended off the paranoids' bus today. :w00t:

Noone was even thinking that you were not fully qualified for the *whatever* you are qualified for ;).

It was just myself and puntoMX remembering the good ol' days....

jaclaz

...back when "Punch Cards" didn't mean wholloping one? :D

Nonetheless, investigation reveals the BIOS updates of those beasties is stinky-poo with no method of recovery. After all it WAS suggested that was the route (hot-swap) to go (see immediately preceding posts)...

get a few new flash chips, a flasher and replace the "bricked" ones
in response to ;)

(sigh...) back to the grind. B)