Diminutive Device to Detect Drones Hovering Overhead

Monroe

A nano-battery should be able to provide enough power to a nano-drone to fly it for a few nano-seconds. :whistle:;)

In the spoiler there is an image of an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA sized prototype :w00t: .

:angel

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Dry Cleaner Drone Delivers Clothes to Customers

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/entertainment/the-scene/Dry-Cleaning-Drone-Delivering-Clothes-to-Customers-214736141.html

A freshly laundered shirt, covered in plastic, flaps in the wind as it takes flight from in front of Manayunk Cleaners in Philadelphia.

It wasn’t picked up by a breeze, though, rather a remote-controlled drone, which ferries the shirt across the sky on a delivery run to a nearby customer.

“I’m all about technology and I see a lot of these cleaners, it’s so old school. You come in…and you just pick it up. I needed to spice things up,” says Manayunk Cleaners owner Harout Vartanian.

Air Force drone crash closes remote Florida highway

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/18/air-force-drone-crash-causes-officials-to-shut-down-remote-fla-panhandle/?test=latestnews

An Air Force drone being tested at a nearby base crashed on takeoff Wednesday near a remote stretch of a Florida Panhandle highway. Officials say no one was injured but the road would be closed into Wednesday night.

The Air Force closed Highway 98 west of Panama City and east of Mexico Beach because of possible fires from the crash. Officials said the drone has a limited, 24-hour battery life and would be inactive after the battery depleted.

... the picture shows something burning ... lots of smoke so the battery and drone would "maybe" be inactive before 24 hours had passed ... however, I'm no rocket scientist !!!

Edited by duffy98

I would have to agree but having lived in Florida for a time back in the 80's ... there were some pretty large insects around then and they have probably only gotten larger since I left. For instance, this news just broke in June ...

Huge Mosquitoes Spotted in Florida

http://www.livescience.com/37383-gallinippers-huge-mosquitoes-florida.html

Enormous mosquitoes known as gallinippers (or Psorophora ciliata) have been spotted in Florida, according to WKMG, a CBS affiliate. The insects are about 20 times larger than most common mosquitoes. The sighting comes after a warning by the University of Florida that there could be a bumper crop of these mosquitoes this summer.

Edited by duffy98

Huge Mosquitoes Spotted in Florida

And related articles written by journalists that have had an amusing past as fishermen:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/article/320724/19/Gallinippers-Giant-mosquito-invasion-Nope-just-another-Florida-critter

Other media referenced "mega mosquito," "monster mosquitoes," or "ferocious," "super-sized" mosquitoes.

But insect experts say they're flabbergasted at how a seldom-seen mosquito that's always been here is drawing so much buzz.

Make no mistake, Psorophora ciliata is a big fella, four to five times the size of its skeeter peers.

Some media reported it as much as 20 times bigger.

Other reports said the mosquito is so large that it feels like a small bird when it lands on you "and that its bite is akin to being stabbed with a kitchen knife," lamented the spring edition of "Buzz Words," a UF newsletter, which critiqued the recent media coverage.

It all reminds me the original Calvin's report on bats:

http://mimosasonthefrontlawn.blogspot.it/2009/02/bats-arent-bugs.html

Dusk! With a creepy, tingling sensation, you hear the fluttering of leathery wings. Bats! With glòowing red eyes and glistening fangs, these unspeakable giant bugs drop onto...

:lol:

jaclaz

Yes, I had actually read about the super big mosquitoes over a month ago and that they have been around for years but hardly ever seen by most people living in Florida, however this year was expected to be different. Anyway, you dug up a lot more info on them and a mention about the dreaded salt marsh mosquito. That one sounds horrible, if you get bit ... maybe like getting bit by a horse fly. Must be bad for the deer and other living things in the salt marsh.

Oh well, yes the "burning drone" either crashed or was shot down as target practice.

Edited by duffy98

Yes, very cool indeed ... this may be what dencorso had in mind when he posted this on 29 May ... Post #41 ...

"In the US, as here in Brazil, apartment buildings without elevators are next to non-existant. However, that's not so in Europe, where they are common in the most expensive neighborhoods, even in London, Paris and Milan. So what I do envisage as the probable 1st civillian use of a BigDog would be to be bought by such condominia, to bring up the stairs things, like, say, the packages with the goods just bought from the local supermarket."

... except these could lift heavy items to the roof ... furniture, appliances and such for people near the top of the building.

Yes! That sure is like what I was envisaging... These multicopters (the 4-helixes one being a tetracopter) seem to be the 1st type of drones to have started to be available to the consumer (even here in Brazil)... but, for the time being, they're controlled by someone like any other radio-controlled aeromodel, so they're drones but not automatons. Now that one jaclaz found info about works without human intervention, so it *is* an automaton *and* a drone. But I still think I'd be more confortable issuing voice commands to a "big dog" type of robot, than to an intelligent tetracopter... but that's me, of course.

I guess they now have another reason to take away guns ...

FAA Warns Public Against Shooting Guns at Drones

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/19/faa-warns-public-against-shooting-guns-at-drones/

People who fire guns at drones are endangering the public and property and could be prosecuted or fined, the Federal Aviation Administration warned Friday.

The FAA released a statement in response to questions about an ordinance under consideration in the tiny farming community of Deer Trail, Colo., that would encourage hunters to shoot down drones. The administration reminded the public that it regulates the nation's airspace, including the airspace over cities and towns.

A drone "hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to persons or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air," the statement said. "Shooting at an unmanned aircraft could result in criminal or civil liability, just as would firing at a manned airplane."

Under the proposed ordinance, Deer Trail would grant hunting permits to shoot drones. The permits would cost $25 each. The town would also encourage drone hunting by awarding $100 to anyone who presents a valid hunting license and identifiable pieces of a drone that has been shot down.

This just gets better and better ... a hunting permit to shoot down drones, I kinda like the idea ... if the Three Stooges were still here, this would be a great movie short ... go duck hunting and bring down a drone! I still think a "back yard" model rocket missle defense would work or perhaps rocket type fireworks could be modified in some way to not only "light up the sky" but bring down a drone as a bonus !!!

Edited by duffy98