Office Shrinker [reduce source of o2k3/xp/2k]

buckeyeXP

Hi guys! After one whole day of trying and reading all the replys 100 times I solve the problem for non English office users.Office shrink should work fine with EVERY language of office not just the ones in setup.

Here it is what to do to make it work.

1. Make slipstream copy of your office via Run=>E:\Setup.exe /a in any folder you want. Example c:\Office2003

2. Use Microsoft Office resource kit, to make the .MST file. (the name must be Unattend.MST)When asked for .msi point to .msi file in the c:\Office2003 and then deselect aplications you won't need.(Acess,OneNote...etc)

3. When asked, make the .MST file in the same folder.(c:\Office2003)

added:

copy your C:\Office folder to your D: drive or burn it on cd

3.1 Now you must format your PC and install only windows without Office resource kit !

Now with fresh windows installed:

4. Here comes the tricky part:

You must know your office language code and ENGLISH name of the language.

Here ar examples:

Arabic (Saudi Arabia) 1025 
Bulgarian 1026
Chinese (Hong Kong SAR) 3076
Chinese (PRC) 2052
Chinese (Taiwan) 1028
Croatian 1050
Czech 1029
Danish 1030
Dutch (Netherlands) 1043
English (United States) 1033
Estonian 1061
Finnish 1035
French (France) 1036
German (Germany) 1031
Greek 1032
Hebrew 1037
Hindi 1081
Hungarian 1038
Italian (Italy) 1040
Japanese 1041
Korean 1042
Latvian 1062
Lithuanian 1063
Norwegian (Bokmal) 1044
Polish 1045
Portuguese (Brazil) 1046
Portuguese (Portugal) 2070
Romanian 1048
Russian 1049
Serbian (Latin) 2074
Slovak 1051
Slovenian 1060
Spanish (Modern Sort) 3082
Swedish 1053
Thai 1054
Turkish 1055
Ukrainian 1058

So for my Office language is Slovenian and code is 1060.

5. You have to create folder on C:\ named office( C:\Office)

6. Make shure that you do NOT have office installed on your PC.

7. Navigate on disk C:\ and leave the window open (you should see folders like Program Files,Windows,Office...etc)

8. Now start the office shrink( shrink_lang02.exe)

9. When asked for language leave to English and click on Next

10. At that moment the file shrink.ini will apear in window that we leave open before (C:\)

11. the .ini should look like this:

[Language]
lang=English
dir=1033
retry=&Retry
title=Microsoft Office
error=Error

12. Now set the lang=to your language of Office (must be the english translation of your language-see above what it is for your language)

13. Set dir= to code of your language (see above)

14 Set the retry= to what the windows say in your language(not translated) when they want you to retry something (dont forget to put the"&"in front of the word)

14.set the title=(here are most of the mistakes made)It is not always the "Microsoft office",in fact in my case ther must be Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 If not you will get the 1308 Error !!!! so you must try both versions.

15.set the error= to what your windows say when you get Error(in your language not in English)

16. My shrink.ini now look like this:

[Language]
lang=Slovenian
dir=1060
retry=&Ponovi
title=Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
error=Napaka

17. Don't forget to save the changes in your shrink.ini !

18. Now you can continue with your Office shrink program and set your office source (the folder you copied to safe place before you formated your disk)

19. In next window set target must be C:\office\ !!!

20. In window select setup.exe

21. In next window select Unattend.MST

22. Check your shrink.ini

23. Your shrink.ini now look similar like this:

[Language]
lang=Slovenian
dir=1060
retry=&Ponovi
error=Napaka
[Directory]
Office Source=C:\Office2003\
Office Target=C:\office\
[Files]
Office Setup EXE file=SETUP.EXE
Office Setup MST file=Unattend.MST
[Version]
Number=11.0.5614.0

added:

You should check your office version and correct the shrink.ini

When you set your language in officeshrink it writes the default version for the language, but yours my be different.You will find your version number if you drag your mouse over the Unattend.MST file and leave it there for a while.

Check the line under ProductVersion=11.0.5614.0 and retype the version number in your shrink.ini

Save the canges you made.

Start the shrink_lang02.exe again and you will be promped to use the setup found on your computer.Click Yes and the process will start. ;);)

24. Now start the shrink_lang02.exe again and when asked to use the setup found on your computer select yes.

25. The process will now start...

23. You will see instalation progress bar and ALOT of flashing error messages.(this is ok)

24. At the end process you will see the mesage Completed and you get your shrinked Office !!!

Here's my instructions detailed from start to finish. It even opens in Acrobat 5.0. I can't exactly call it mine, honestly, since I just copied everyone else's work, giving credit where it was due, and compiled it into a single pdf.

Here it is, do with it as you like

Nice guide any solution to this in your quote:

Most Common Problem

The install begins - goes through the decompression - starts the Office 2003 install (I can even see

the MS Office folder in Program Files) - and then suddenly reverses itself and disappears! I get no

errors and no log files

Doh! I need to find the solution for that and add it as well.

office_xp.pdf

Here's my instructions detailed from start to finish. It even opens in Acrobat 5.0. I can't exactly call it mine, honestly, since I just copied everyone else's work, giving credit where it was due, and compiled it into a single pdf.

Here it is, do with it as you like

Nice guide any solution to this in your quote:

Most Common Problem

The install begins - goes through the decompression - starts the Office 2003 install (I can even see

the MS Office folder in Program Files) - and then suddenly reverses itself and disappears! I get no

errors and no log files. Any ideas what I managed to screw up in a pretty straightforward process?

Ive experienced the same thing after shrinking many times. Asta pointed me to a Netframework issue but dismissed this as both machines have it installed.

Any ideas?

I've followed precisely the guide posted by RoMzi but I always receive the message "Shrinking of Office was terminated". :(

I'm running Office 2003 italian version with no upgrades.

I've also updated the ini file with the correct setup.exe version, as suggested by RoMzi, but with no effect.

I attach my shrink.ini file,my logs and my unattend.mst file for reference.

Thanks for your help.

Venator

office.zip

The post No: 331 is corrected check the whole process again.(It was my mistake)

Venator this is the shrink.ini you need.

[Language]
lang=Italian
dir=1040
retry=&Riprova
error=Errore
[Directory]
Office Source=C:\Office2003\
Office Target=C:\office\
[Files]
Office Setup EXE file=SETUP.EXE
Office Setup MST file=Unattend.MST
[Version]
Number=11.0.6361.0

I made a mistake to tell you guys to read the version number from your setup.ini file.It is the number that you get from Unattend.MST file that should work.(you can get all the informations if you leave your mouse cursor on the Unattend file for a while.

And also you must not do the process of shrinking if you have office resource kit installed. It must be clean instalation.Only windows !

The "Office Source=" section is the folder where you have your extracted office and your Unattend.MST

It will not work now if you yust change the shrink.ini file you must start the whole process again because the office shrink process must be on clean PC (without Office resource kit installed)

I wil correct my post above,So the steps will be correct.

Please see my new tutorial here:MSFN FORUM I hope that you will solve your problems.

Please report results.

ok here's my problem

i install a clean winxp sp2 no nlite w/ .NET 1.1 w/ hotfix included by astalavista.

copy the files from OXP SP3 cd i made along w/ a .cmd file and .mst file

shrunk it, it worked on that PC, but it doesn't work when i test it on other pc.

i made the order so OXP installs right after .NET 1.1 (to make a same environment as the original pc)

i haven't tried to change the version.. it was different

so after i change shrink.ini . you telling me i have to reinstall windows to get it to work? (now shrink pauses if i tried to shrink)

Venator

The version number

[Version]
Number=11.0.6361.0

I get it from YOUR attached .MST file, so you should use the exact code that I posted and do not change anything.

I did not install the .NET program for my second step, just Windows.

You can do the extraction of the office from CD and you can make the .MST file on another computer but you must use the same Office 2003 program. The .MST file just tell the original office installer wihch aplications will be installed in silent mode and which not and will not do anything to your office.

So extract the office on your main computer, create the .MST file on your main computer, then put this complete folder somewhere on your other clean computer and run the shrink process using the shrink.ini with correct version number.

So extract the office on your main computer, create the .MST file on your main computer, then put this complete folder somewhere on your other clean computer and run the shrink process using the shrink.ini with correct version number.

This is exactly the procedure I've followed, but even with your ini code I can't shrink my office. :blushing:

Could all of these problems be caused by the fact I slipstreamed office 2003 sp1? I've followed exactly the instructions on the unattended website, then made my unattend.mst, and tried to shrink. :no:

Thanks for your help

Venator