Want to Downgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows Vista

Bakuchris

Hello, I want downgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows Vista, I know this seem pretty weird but I wanted to re-experience the old operating system again, but is there any problem of me running the older operating system besides the driver and issues with some of my newer software I use (such as Sony Vegas 13).

P.S. I know that I will have to run Windows Update to get it updated.

I agree with Flasche. You will have a ton of Windows Updates and a Service Pack or two (depending on how old your installation disk is), but you shouldn't experience any compatibility issues. Vista will be supported by Microsoft for three more years, so nobody else is likely to jump ship before then.

Welcome! :)

--JorgeA

I'm actually about to buy an AMD APU PC soon, and it too is pre-loaded with Windows 8.1. Really never mind re-installing an OS on a new computer, but that Secure Boot just about makes it nearly impossible it would seem at first. I actually know a friend off YouTube who works at a computer shop, so he ran me down the list of instructions on how to downgrade 8 to Vista. Might as well share it here I guess, so this is what he told me. I've personally never tried this yet, so I can't confirm if ot works or not. Should though since he's done it multiple times where he works. If anybody knows of a simpler method, please share it. I too will be downgrading, or excuse me upgrading Windows 8.1 to Vista Ultimate SP2 ;)

"Step 1: Check the specs before you buy
The PC you are looking for needs to have an NVIDIA Geforce GPU or a Radeon GPU in order to be compatible with Windows Vista. Once you've bought the PC you want, you might want to go ahead and download the drivers for your PC for Windows Vista.

Step 2: Disable Windows 8 Secure Boot & Enable legacy support
Watch this video on how to disable secure boot in Windows 8:

Step 3: Delete all partitions
You will need a Windows 7 or Windows 8 DVD for this step. Load up the Windows 7/8 install disc, and just go through the install until you get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen, and delete all partitions, and then close out of the installation

Step 4: Convert the GPT Partition to MBR
You will also need to use the Windows 7/8 DVD for this step. Load up the Windows 7/8 DVD and select "Repair your Computer" then it will search for Windows installations. After it is done, click next. Then click "Open a command prompt window" In the command prompt, type diskpart and press enter. Next, Type list disk and press enter. Then, Type select disk 1, and press enter. Finally, Type convert mbr and press enter, and close out of the installation.
Step 5: You're ready to install Windows Vista!
Now you can perform the Vista installation as normal. After Vista is installed, install all the drivers you downloaded and you'll be good to go. NOTE: You might need to purchase an external DVD drive if Vista refuses to install to the MBR partition when using the DVD drive that came preinstalled with your PC.
Notes:
If ethrenet drivers will not work, Get a Cisco-Wifi USB stick and connect to the internet using Wifi instead of ethernet.".

Also would like to add, you'll probably need SP2 slipstreamed on your iso in order for it even to install on the newer computer. That's how it was for using an AMD FX anyways, also Haswell.

may have some issues with Vista as I've heard from some people.

Have fun with Vista, aka one of Microsoft's last good OSs.

Edited by 11ryanc

Yep, I actually installed it just eariler yesterday night, but sometimes I have odd issues, such as the explorer bar freezes, also VMPlayer will not install it gets stuck at the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable and does not install that I have to end it's process, most of everything else seems smooth, Google Chrome runs great no problems and the Video Editor I use Sony Vegas 12 works really well to. also is it normal when you remove components from the program and features under the control panel, does it usually take a long time to add or remove things, as thats what happened to me, though it's not really a problem. Well if I encounter something that seems problematic I will report back. Anyway I have to get use to the start menu again and the taskbar with names, as Windows 8 usually only has squares on the taskbar with the programs icon, though it's been like this since Windows 7's release.

P.S. one good thing happened usually when I install Windows 8.1 I have to re-assign my hard disks since it puts them with the wrong drive letter I want, Vista did not do this, though Im sure even XP x64 would not experince this problem either, the problem happened around Windows 8.0 and up.

Edited by Bakuchris

es, also VMPlayer will not install it gets stuck at the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable and does not install that I have to end it's process,

Odd indeed. I installed VMplayer with no issues (latest one too 6.02).

oh wait, it's working, maybe it was because it needed to be updated before I could run it. VM player does work. my mistake. just the installation is a little slow, but works fine.

Edited by Bakuchris

[...] also is it normal when you remove components from the program and features under the control panel, does it usually take a long time to add or remove things, as thats what happened to me, though it's not really a problem.

IIRC this is what usually happens. It does take a while for Windows to reconfigure itself when you remove components.

Enjoy your brand-new Vista system! :thumbup

--JorgeA

Did you install Service Pack 2? It's a rollup of bug list and performance enhancements, it is required to function properly on new hardware. Not even SP1 would work on an FX.

The Thing is I have to upgrade from Windows Vista, I got blue screens from my display driver, the only driver that worked was a older version from Windows Update. things didn't work out as I thought they would with this OS. oh well.

ATI Radeon HD 4200, for some reason the Microsoft driver worked better from 2009, I got it from Windows Update, but recently installed the updated driver and so farno blue screens, though It did happen once.

Edited by Bakuchris