Which version of CDBurnerXP do you run?

I just tried installing the latest version of CDBurnerXP on my Windows 2000 machine.  It supposedly supports Windows 2000, and it successfully burns DVDs because those DVDs get recognized by my Windows XP machine, but then the DVDs don't get recognized in my Windows 2000 machine (the same machine that burned them).

So I was thinking about trying an older version of CDBurnerXP, and was wondering if anyone is running an older version that burns DVDs that get recognized in Windows 2000.

How good is CDBurnerXP? Maybe nobody wants to port it.

For very few bucks over eCreek, you get an old Nero 5.5 or 6, option Express or (more complete) Burning Rom, which is the Rolls among the Ferrari, and runs guaranteed on W2k, producing CD and DVD accepted everywhere.

There are other CD and DVD burners which are free. Some are not as general or easy as Nero, but they are legal and work.

Not a very good answer, pointertovoid... Stick to the subject.

Delerious, there should be no reason why it shouldn't. You DO have your Windows 2000 up-to-date, right?

This topic dates back to 2010.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261125-32-burning-sftware-windows-2000

Exactly what -kind- of DVD did you burn? If it's not Data, then it very well might not play.

Exactly what do you mean by "not recognized"? Can you at least provide/describe the -symptoms-?

Side Note - your last visit here was nearly 1-1/2 years ago...

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/160205-windows-7-sp1-doesnt-include-a-bunch-of-updates/

...and you never came back until now. :crazy:

submix8c, yes I do have my Windows 2000 up to date.  I burned 3 data DVDs - 1 of them to DVD+R DL, and 2 of them to DVD-R.  CDBurnerXP said the burns were successful and verified OK.  But when I tried to click on my DVD drive in Windows Explorer, I got an "access denied" error (even after I ejected the DVDs and put them back in).  But when I put the discs in my Windows XP machine, XP recognized them fine.

You haven't by chance Shared the DVD Drive?

Did you Exit CDBurner?

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

Side note: I -never- allow my Burner Software to do the "eject" as this "takes control" of it. I always manually eject.

edit - An alternative is IMGBURN, which should work just fine.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Edited by submix8c

No I don't have the DVD drive shared, and I did exit CDBurner. 

Also I do have ImgBurn installed.  The DVDs ImgBurn burns on my machine get recognized fine.  But I recently had difficulties with ImgBurn burning a dual layer DVD, so I wanted to see if a different program like CDBurnerXP would work better.

Well now I do think that installing CDBurnerXP on my system messed something up.  I uninstalled CDBurnerXP, but ImgBurn is having the same problem.  ImgBurn can burn a DVD fine - it gets recognized on my XP machine, but my 2000 machine doesn't recognize the disc.  In fact, if I put any DVD into the drive now, including a DVD movie bought from the store, Windows says "E:\ is not accessible. Access is denied".

ImgBurn and Windows were working fine before I installed CDBurnerXP, so I think CDBurnerXP messed something up on the system.  I have tried uninstalling the DVD drive from Device Manager, and then having Windows detect it and reinstall the driver, but that didn't fix the problem.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

Looks like it installs cdrom.sys and redbook.sys (in system32\drivers) and storprop.dll (in system32).

I'm not sure what sort of permissions problem this could be.  Windows doesn't recognize any DVDs even when I'm logged in as Administrator.

This was definitely a strange problem.  Seems like some sort of permission deep in the OS got changed to allow ImgBurn and CDBurnerXP to have read/write access to the drive, but disabled read access for Administrator and other users.  When I put in a music CD, the drive icon in Explorer changed to a music icon, so I know Windows recognized the disc, it just wouldn't let me read it.  I managed to fix it by running a program I have called Nero BurnRights and resetting the permissions.

Edited by delerious

• 2 weeks later...