Aero Glass for Windows Thread... Closed?

NoelC

The forum administrator (xper) has chosen to lock possibly one of the most popular threads (318,716 views) I've seen on this forum.

That came as a bit of a surprise to me. Through the past couple of years we've seen tempers flare a few times on that subject.  It always cools down and people resume talking tech.

You are, of course, free to run your forum the way you see fit, but...

I have contributed a few things for folks to read here.  That said, the Aero Glass product was what drew me here in the first place - and that thread was largely responsible for bringing me back.  Without it...  I may be more likely to find other things to do. 

I realize the participation of any given individual means little, but just keep in mind that there are always other web destinations for folks to choose from.  You have a good core of contributors here.  It'd be a shame to see them go elsewhere.

Happy holidays to all.

-Noel

I closed it because it's too big and have huge impact on server database. Second reason for closing it is that Aero Glass got it's own forum and will be easy to follow questions or suggestions. There was no other reason for closing it. I'm sorry to hear that my decision disappointed you.

That's certainly reasonable.  I'm glad it wasn't because of perceived content issues, it really was a good discussion.  You've made me feel a bit better.  Under those conditions I might have explained the reason and opened a successor thread as a courtesy. 

But you're right, people are free to open new threads in the sub-forum - giving it a whole project subforum was probably a move long overdue.

Thanks for your explanation.

-Noel

It's a forum.  Everything should always be open for comment, as long as it's positive.

Xper has adeptly turned something I mistakenly perceived as a negative into a positive here.

-Noel

And all this time I thought that moderation was NOT up to debate as per Rule #8:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

:whistle:

I guess some people has some non-written privileges .... ;)

:lol:

jaclaz

lol, good point Jaclaz!

I guess the forum rules are not a favorite bedtime reading for some on here..

~DP

Xper has adeptly turned something I mistakenly perceived as a negative into a positive here.

Sure :yes:, and no harm whatever was done to any living creature in the making of this thread :).

Still, Rule #8 is still there:

8. Has the thread you started or participated in been moved, closed or deleted? Check with the forum moderator via PM. Under no circumstances start threads asking why other threads were moderated. Forum moderation is not up for public debate, and such threads will be deleted and the thread starter warned. MSFN reserves the right to edit, delete or move posts made on this site.

and there is not a trailing:

... exception made for good guys that contribute a lot to the board and ask nicely, only vaguely hinting that they might leave for good the place because of their utter disagreement with the management of the board...

I am pretty sure that you commented in perfect good faith and with the best of the intentions (positive), but until that Rule will not be changed/amended, it remains the fact that you broke it and now that this has been brought to your attention, you are now discussing on the Rule itself:

It's a forum.  Everything should always be open for comment, as long as it's positive.

I am notoriously an extremely picky guy, besides been grumpy, and while I would be happy to discuss with you on the broken windows theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

and on the usefulness (or fairness) of zero tolerance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_tolerance

right now I am more interested in understanding which is the positive part in the message (very bluntly put):

Re-open that thread now or I'll leave the board!

:w00t::ph34r:

jaclaz

I admit not to having felt I was breaking any rules (noting that I wasn't the starter of that thread), but clearly a rule's existence and the application of the rule are two different things, and they serve two different purposes, as is quite often seen in the adult world.

Beyond my own sensibilites, I was also thinking of several other quite brilliant folks, one of whom I've literally seen stop contributing entirely on the Microsoft forums because of his frustration with their forum.

Xper, if you or any mod wants to delete this thread as inappropriate, I'll understand completely - in fact I encourage it.  It has stirred up unhealthy conversation.  I'm sorry for running afoul of the rules police, and I now stand better educated on rule 8b, subpart 2.

-Noel

Edit:  Fixed a grammatical error.

Edited by NoelC